VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread may end up with a lot of flack over my sound system installation, but irregardless I need to find a solution for where I’m at. I chose 6.5 speakers because I only wanted to run the fronts.

I installed two 6.5 inch speakers within door pods to my two front doors on my ‘76. I placed them where I would get the most crank clearance possible, but still knew what I was getting into and accepted that it wouldn’t be sufficient. I need either two door cranks (with the proper splined + screw hole fitment), that are significantly shorter than the stock, I need my stock cranks modified by someone that has the ability, or (most preferable), I need intel on how I could potentially have button controlled motorized devices to connect over the splines and spin either left or right to roll the windows. It may sound outlandish but it’s a very simple engineering concept I’m certain I could have done, top dollar or not. I just need someone to point me in the right direction.

If you have input on any of my three options (or other ideas), your thoughts will be greatly appreciated. The stock cranks are only 1.5 inches too long.

thanks

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,193 Posts
Have you googled the power window conversion bit? I recall those types of surface-mount conversion kits in catalogs and such years back. Likeliest place back then was probably JC Whitney. Might still be something like that available.

·
Registered
21,959 Posts

In the UK a lot of the Dealerships back i the day had a electric window kit that used the current window crank..
The one above replaces all the fru-fru. You would need a blanking plate for the window crank hole when you are finished.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,354 Posts
I may be wrong, I've never tried, but aren't the window crank splines fairly universal?

I think that they are likely compatible with RV and even domestic window cranks that come in all shapes and sizes including knobs and folding cranks.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I'd go with the power window conversion option. The kit linked by Brian in post #5 is likely the best way to do it, looks like it replaces the entire mechanism. But there are also inexpensive universal kits that utilize the existing mechanism and drive the splined shaft. They look something like this:

Comes with adaptors to fit a variety of spline shafts. They work and are very affordable. But as I stated the best approach is to replace the entire window lift assembly with a power one. Just depends on how much you want to spend (big difference in the cost).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
"They work" Do you have first hand knowledge that is true? Longevity?
Yes I do...I would never make such a comment if it wasn't true. I've had this style of power window conversion kit on my "shop truck" (2006 F150) since it was new. I bought the bare-bones "work truck" version of the Ford so I could build a custom from the ground up the way I wanted. That meant off the dealer's lot it came with manual windows and rubber floor mats. One small part of the custom build was converting the windows to power with a kit like the type shown. And they are still working fine almost 15 years later. So let me reverse the question; do you have first hand knowledge that they do NOT work? :)

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,193 Posts
It's in there, but a ways down...

🍿🍿🍿

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Good to hear. I've always questioned if it was worth the risk.
I'm sure it is like most things, it depends. The quality of the kit, the vehicle application, the installation, etc, will all make a huge difference. I haven't tried them on a Mk1 VW, but I'm sure the big windows in a full size F150 are heavier than the Mk1's, so it should be even better on a VW. However the two vehicles have two different types of lifts so who knows.

As I said before, I agree the better approach would be the full assembly conversion to a factory like power set-up. But frankly that option is more costly than the value of my entire Mk1. :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.