VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing the dreaded noise from both driver and passenger side windows for about a month....
Today they really started making some noise...

So, took it to the Service Nazis cant see me till Thursday.
So I guess I have to adjust my signature to 12

CLASS ACTION is what we need... I wish I could take advantage of a lemon law or something.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Re: window regulator --- This make 12 replacements (u4ea)

Jeesh! are you serious?
Man , there has to be something else going on there.
Is it the same part breaking everytime?
Does anyone have a picture of it?
I dunno, it seems like there is enough smart folks around here to come up with some kind of solution. 12 times, that's insane.

[Modified by Replicant, 2:49 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
847 Posts
Re: window regulator --- This make 12 replacements (2kjettaguy)

quote:[HR][/HR]take that stupid plastic clip that keeps breaking to a welding shop and have them fab you one that is indestructable. Then cost it in grease so the cable doesn't get frayed and your set[HR][/HR]​
There you go. Even if VW is fixing it under warranty it's worth it to permanently fix it and be done with it.
I'd still like to see what it is that's breaking. I guess mine will fail soon enough. I can look at it then.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Re: window regulator --- This make 12 replacements (Replicant)

I've only had to replace one window regulator [fingers crossed] and it was under warranty. However, ever since I had it fixed, I always make sure the window is fully closed before I get out of the car. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it's not good to close/slam the door shut with the window open, but I could be wrong so don't quote me! Kind of makes sense to me -- the window ends up shaking pretty good if it's open and you close the door, even if you close the door gently. And that shaking, I would imagine, definitely can't be helping the window regulators. If I want the windows down at all, I just use the key after the doors are closed.
I still put my windows down while I'm driving whenever I want, don't get me wrong. It just seems that sharp lateral shocks to the window (caused by closing the doors) would be far worse than shocks from hitting bumps while driving, but that's just my guess. I know it's not a solution to a poorly made or poorly designed part, and it's kind of a nuisance when you just want to leave your windows down, but maybe it can help reduce the number of times people need to have them replaced. I'll probably end up with a broken one tomorrow after writing this
. Anyway, maybe this will save some regulators in the future -- if not, it was still worth a try at least!

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Re: window regulator

The repeated posts on failed window regulators sure is worrisome. Mine haven't failed yet... but the windows make a loud clunk when auto downed.

Can't help but noticing that a plastic part seems to be the culprit and VW seems to be avoiding strengthening it. Could this potential weak part be intentional by VW? I seem to recall reading that pinch protection is disabled when raising windows with the key or holding the button. Has VW designed this part to fail as a "fail safe" pinch protection? Seems to me you could replace a whole lotta window part failures for less than the cost of one severed human body part lawsuit.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts

not to be different but maybe it is you.....or your dealer is getting the wrong part or installing incorrectly. It makes no sense that you could brake 12 regulators and other people have no problems with theirs....

·
Registered
723 Posts

Man you need to move to Virginia dude. That little .25 clip would be considered a saftey defect if you can demonstrate that it has the potential to seperate and cause the window to come down while the car is in motion. Here in VA the State Lemon Law addresses issues that are saftey related in that they have the potential to cause severe harm and or loss of control for a vehicles driver.In the event the of something like this a dealer has by law 2 attempts to fix the car. In the event that a car is required to be taken in for a 3rd time for a saftey issue that will most likey be found to be in lemon status in Virginia. I see people with the Regulator problems and wonder how many people in VA or any state for that matter pursued this as a saftey issue.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Re: window regulator --- This make 12 replacements (PoorBoyMatt)

quote:[HR][/HR]A tech at a local VW dealer said that lubing the window channels with silicone spray helps a lot. Haven't tried it yet, but probably will.[HR][/HR]​
have u done it? do u need to take off your door to do this?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Re: window regulator --- This make 12 replacements (jaxkewl)

No. I haven't tried it yet. I'm assuming you just lower the window and spray the side window channels. He said the regulators are very strong and if the window channels are grabbing too hard on the window, the regulator will just pull the clips off the window.
Does that make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: window regulator --- This make 12 replacements (jaxkewl)

Wow, all these problems with your window regulators... this just blows my mind. Did a bit more searching, and it seems this problem is really wide-ranging.
u4ea: don't feel too bad... you're not the only one who has probs with their VW. You think your situation is bad? Check out some of the horror stories at these links:
http://www.bitchaboutit.com/ReadPages/autoVW_complaints.htm
http://www.bitchaboutit.com/ReadPages/autoVW_jetta_complaints.htm
http://www.bitchaboutit.com/ReadPages/autoVW_beetle_complaints.htm

I have a friend who was thinking about getting a new Golf, but all these documented problems with VW's windows and all the other stuff, and the fact that it was ranked near the bottom out of 200 models in terms of number of defects, has him really scared now. I think he's going to go visit a Honda dealership tonight...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.