VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 00 Golf lasted 3 years without one going and today my driver side window fell in my 01 Jetta.

I have 3 people in my car that asked what the hell was that. I said, "my window regulator just broke."
I went on to tell them that all Jetta's have this problem and now I am waiting for a call back from VW because they say they are booked up until Monday but they are going to see what they can do!

So, now I know how some of you guys feel.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Re: Window Regulator Went Today (2OVTurboJetta)

You should be happy yours didn't break in the middle of winter.
i had to drive to the dealership in Jan. with my stupid window down. I had my hat and gloves on. I got the weirdest looks.
Needless to say the heat was cranked. At least they are fixed now.

Modified by KarsRgood at 7:01 PM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Re: Window Regulator Went Today (kfcninjaboy)

Mine fell monday night and naturally it was beginning to rain and I had 20 min to clock in for work. Damn if I was gonna wait to be put in a schedule or take my own door panel off with the windos stuck down and drizzling rain. I took it in 1rst thing tuesday morning, didn't call, was out by 10:45am. They did both sides. naturally somebody else rolled in with their window taped up (as is everytime I go somebody in for the regulator fix). To me this is one of those fixes where dealers need to do the same day or at leasr prop your window in the up position until they can fit you in.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Re: Window Regulator Went Today (02GTI-VR6)

knock on wood none of mine have failed but, but my passenger side window rolls back down if i use the express up function

·
Registered
464 Posts
Re: Window Regulator Went Today (RJB121)

so the window jsut drops?? well. . i had a coilpack go bad. .and now my car just died. .. I dunno what happened. My brother took it for a ride ( while i was watchin tv. .didnt even know he took it) and he called me tellin me the car wouldnt start. I assume it's another coilpack ..but from what he told me it's totally dead..and leakin' some type of oil.

Well back to the dealership i guess. .although i really don't like them.. it took them 3 weeks just to fix a coilpack.. ....
hopefully i dont have to wait too long this time

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Window Regulator Went Today (bngowe)

My window was down and when I went to put it back up it made some weird noises and fell!

·
Registered
5,019 Posts

That sucks dude. Were you able to get it taped up?
Now that the weather is nice its funny to see "My Window Regulator Broke," 4 months ago it was "My Coilpack Went."

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Window Regulator Went Today (PA_Jetta1.8T)

Nah, I just drove with it down and somehow I made it between rain storms to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
mine broke last night, fockers, first one on my 01 GTI though, knock on wood. couldnt get the window up to tape it. I had one go in my old 96 jetta too, sold it before i replaced that one tho.

·
Registered
323 Posts

The window in my sister's 02 Jetta just fell, but I see from all the other posts that this seems to be a common problem. Man this sucks, the car won't even be a year old until next month. This is covered under warranty right?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts

Here's a tip I got from a guy on another site's forums:
1. Call your VW dealership. Tell them one of your front windows is acting weird, has fallen down, won't go up, or something. They'll probably chime right in and say "Oh yes, there's an extended warranty on that part". Make an appointment.
2. On your way to the dealership on the day of your appointment, stop somewhere and roll one of your front windows down a little more than half way. Push down on the top edge of the window, into the door. Your regulator clips may break outright, or they may crack, leaving your window misaligned. Make sure that no one from the dealership sees you do this!
3. Drop the car off. In about 3 hours you'll have new metal regulator clips in your front doors!

This may sound shady, but the way I see it, VW put a substandard part in there, and I'm not just going to sit around waiting for it to break. The reason that most dealerships don't fix the clips proactively is that VW requires them to send the broken clips back in order to get more metal ones. I'm betting that the dealerships which do replace non-broken clips do this trick as part of their removal process.
EDIT: The warranty on these clips is 7 years/unlimited miles. It does not get halved if you purchase the car used, like the other warranties do. The warranty covers parts & labor.

Modified by jddaigle at 3:40 PM 7-8-2003

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Window Regulator Went Today (jddaigle)

They should have recalled the part so I don't see a problem with it. There was a poll a while back it was like 60% of people have had one fail. F VW!

·
Registered
23,931 Posts

Hey my 2000 Golf's driver window is taking its sweet old
time going up everytime now.
I suppose I should call the dealer to get the reg. replaced.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 2OVTurboJetta »
F VW!

Don't be so quick. Jeep Cherokees also have a chronic problem of the regulator cable breaking, and you have to pay every dime of the replacement cost (around $400)! At least VW is footing the bill for us.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (swmacneil)

Quote, originally posted by swmacneil »
mine broke last night, fockers, first one on my 01 GTI though, knock on wood. couldnt get the window up to tape it. I had one go in my old 96 jetta too, sold it before i replaced that one tho.

Mine did too! I had them replace both front ones today so it won't happen again. They sure left my car a mess though... looks like they drove through oil with the door open.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
They sure left my car a mess though... looks like they drove through oil with the door open.

Same here--greasy prints all over the passenger door panel, a small scratch on the driver's door under the window
, AND the tech forgot to connect the inside door latch on the passenger side, so you can't get out from inside! I was just going to clean the greasy marks off myself, but when I discovered the door handle & the scratch I gave the dealership a call. Very apologetic, I'm going to drop by tomorrow to get things set to rights (hopefully).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: (jddaigle)

Mine went out on Sunday, I showed up at my deal monday morning, and told them i needed it done, or i needed a car by 5 p.m., My car was done at 3 and they replaced both. I was quite happy w/ them.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Re: (PVC25)

Crap my driver's side front just went today ... it had gone fully up when the regulator broke and so i was set except after grocery shopping i hit the unlock button one too many times
and alientech took over and now the window's at the bottom of the door ...

service dept is not open until monday morning ...

for those who had to wait more than one day did you go to home depot and pick up some clear plastic and tape the window area up? what kind of tape did you use?
also what are the part numbers for the metal clips so I can be sure I'll be getting the upgraded parts?
actually is it better to leave the window down completely and not taped or to tape the window opening (glass fully down)?
thanks!
Modified by Mencius01 at 5:37 PM 7-12-2003

Modified by Mencius01 at 6:12 PM 7-12-2003

1 - 20 of 25 Posts