VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled up to the lights today, and this scabby looking feral "boy" walked up to my car and poured water all over my windscreen. He then proceeded to attempt to squigy my windscreen. Now the whole time I was saying no thanks to him. 1. Im not paying some junkie to wash my windscreen 2. the squidgy was missing half of it sponge, so he was scratching the windscreens. I said no thanks very nicely numerous times. In the end I said, "Don't touch my windscreen". He then proceeded to call me a **** and tell me I could shove my fancy car up my ass.... :shock:
Has anyone else ever encountered problems with the "windscreen washers" at the lights?

· Registered
527 Posts
Re: (patrick_centurion)

Yes, I can't stand them.
They seem to be multiplying here in Canberra!!

They don't understand F***ing NO, they can't reach over the car so they just "jump" onto it to get the whole windscreen, they do a sh*t job and they use some kind of detergent that the black plastic at the bottom of the windscreen doesn't like.
Swearing at them doesn't help, not paying them doesn't help. The only suggestion I've been given is - ignore them, don't make any eye contact, don't even acknowledge their existance and supposedly they won't touch you - have yet to try this though.

· Registered
469 Posts
Re: Windscreen washers.... (MrsBugracer)

i used to get it all the time, when i was working in rental cars I would drive up and down brunswick street about 10 times per day and almost each time I would get one of those druggies come up trying to wash the window,
Thankfully in the past year the cops have cleaned up most of the hot spots so it does not occur all that often.
If i see one I always leave a large gap so if they come over i move forward and they usually move to the next car or put the wiper washer on.

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Re: Windscreen washers.... (MrsBugracer)

I don't know what sort of bottle holders you have, but the MkV has a nifty holder in each door that'd be just right for a large bottle of nasty stuff (Caustic Soda or Domestos).
Keep one handy and if they don't cease and desist, give them a good squirt, not till the lights have gone green tho'
(Seriously, all you can do is beep your horn, make eye contact and move your lips in the "**** OFF" manner).

· Banned
9,259 Posts
Re: (GolfIVStreak)

Quote, originally posted by GolfIVStreak »
Ignore them, don't make any eye contact, don't even acknowledge their existance and supposedly they won't touch you - have yet to try this though.

Doesn't work

I have scratches on the side of my car from one of these *********. Unfortunately they are on EVERY intersection around uni so I can't avoid them.
Oh yea and this is around Redfern, which has an extremely high police concentration...but they don't do anything about it and the same guys are there every day.
GET A REAL ****ING JOB!

Modified by Langers at 7:10 PM 9-12-2005

· Registered
2,200 Posts
Re: (Langers)

They have a habit of hanging around the lights at each end of the Brisbane Inner City Bi-pass. Their technique I've noticed is to come from behind (I don't even see them coming) and dump their horrible streaking detergent over your windscreen from behind / passenger side...
The stuff is practically staining, and it took me a good while to wash it off the next day.
I yell at them, wave my arms and put the wipers on, and they swear back at you but I'm sick of them touching my car. I'm amazed when I see people in traffic paying them - it holds up traffic too because they'll be washing the windows of the no.1 cars at the front of the ligths, lights turn green and nobody can move.
I've seen some people's tactic is to let them wash their gunk off - then drive off without paying - I'd prefer them to not attempt the job and risk a boot to the side of my car.
I don't know about in NSW but it's actually illegal to wash windows at the lights. Call the cops on them and if they get moved on enough hopefully they won't come back.
Luckily nobody races out to wash the visor on my motorbike.

· Registered
454 Posts
Re: (Langers)

Quote, originally posted by Langers »

Unfortunately they are on EVERY intersection around uni so I can't avoid them.

I had no problem with the window washer at the corner of Broardway and King when I was at your uni Langers.
It was a little different then, one of the real lookers in the Law department (5 foot 6, blond, slender with two excited puppies struggling to get out from under her top) would change into a nice little set of denim shorts and a crop top. She charged $2 to wash the windscreen and have a good perv at the same time.
She would be there for about 3 hours, lights change at least once ever 5 mins and she would get at least $4 (two windows) for ever light change. Over $140 cash in hand isn't bad for 3 hours work.
It was a bonus that she did a good job washing the window, but I don't think it would have made any difference if she didn't.
She was eventually chased away by two scruffy guys who took her spot. For the first couple of weeks they made almost no money as all the guys were waiting to see if the blond was coming back and most of the girls were scared to open the window give money to these guys.
Oh well, nothing good lasts forever.
Greg

· Banned
9,259 Posts
LOL.
BTW Greg a friend of mine ordered a bunch of stuff from you last week (microfibre towels, big drying towels, car wash, wheel brush, wheel cleaner, glass cleaner etc) and received it last Friday. Wanted me to pass on his thanks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,469 Posts
i gotta tip for you all - keep your windscreen spotless (like me) and they dont come near you - no point asking a fella with a clean windscreen if he needs his screen cleaned or not.........
(i cant stand a dirty windscreen....I may be obsessed with it...)

· Registered
837 Posts
Re: (Azheri)

Quote, originally posted by Azheri »
I had no problem with the window washer at the corner of Broardway and King when I was at your uni Langers.
It was a little different then, one of the real lookers in the Law department (5 foot 6, blond, slender with two excited puppies struggling to get out from under her top) would change into a nice little set of denim shorts and a crop top. She charged $2 to wash the windscreen and have a good perv at the same time.
She would be there for about 3 hours, lights change at least once ever 5 mins and she would get at least $4 (two windows) for ever light change. Over $140 cash in hand isn't bad for 3 hours work.
It was a bonus that she did a good job washing the window, but I don't think it would have made any difference if she didn't.
She was eventually chased away by two scruffy guys who took her spot. For the first couple of weeks they made almost no money as all the guys were waiting to see if the blond was coming back and most of the girls were scared to open the window give money to these guys.
Oh well, nothing good lasts forever.
Greg
\
LOL. Those losers are still there at City Rd and Broadway....guess I'll find out tomorrow. You're right Langers, the cops don't care, although once, I was followed by an unmarked Mistu Nimbus (yes, I kid you not). The guy was about to do my windscreen when I heard a chirp from his siren and the lights flash on his dashboard (that's how I realised it was unmarked). Funny watching them scurrying off...although I'm sure they were back there as soon as the lights changed.
If I see them there, I leave a BIG gap between me and the car in front. Then as they approach me, I roll forward so that it's next to impossible to actually reach over witthout getting run over

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.