VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been trying to get a new piece of glass for my windshield. I do not have any local yards to go pull from so I'm left trying to get an aftermarket piece. I am however being told that they are not available?? I'm however seeing people here installing new windshields...so my question is...where are you getting your glass?

Oh...and where can I get a cushy new rubber strip that sits at the base of the rain tray that hold it in the bay? It's the strip that hit the bottom of the hood when it's closed...and I'm missing mine...

Modified by flieger at 9:49 PM 5-1-2010

·
Registered
84 Supra, 86 Supra, 93 Corrado, 15 Golf TDI, 16 GTI
2,233 Posts
Re: Windshield Glass? (flieger)

I have gotten a new windshield from both the dealer and aftermarket places for my 79'
I believe the windshields are different for the early and later mk1's (being the early ones have wrap around seals and the later ones are glued in) so I wouldnt know if both are readily available. I wanna say my windshield from the dealer was like $140

·
Registered
5,501 Posts

Call around and around and around......
If it helps, try and find a dealer that has has the 'pilkington' line as they were one of the OEM glass providers for many German cars.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried the dealership...and there is no luck there...and because I live in po-dunk NM I only have one glass dealer here in town and they have searched for a windshield with now luck...that's why I was hoping that someone that had replaced a U.S. built GTI windshield lately would chime in with their supplier.
I will look around for the "pilkington" dealer in the surrounding states

·
Registered
14,868 Posts
Re: (flieger)

Quote, originally posted by flieger »
I've tried the dealership...and there is no luck there...and because I live in po-dunk NM I only have one glass dealer here in town and they have searched for a windshield with now luck...that's why I was hoping that someone that had replaced a U.S. built GTI windshield lately would chime in with their supplier.
I will look around for the "pilkington" dealer in the surrounding states

From looking at the other threads that people have posted looking for windsheilds the glue in type is pretty much a no go. The seal in style are still avaiable. You just have to search for a place that can get them.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (wantacad)

Quote, originally posted by wantacad »

From looking at the other threads that people have posted looking for windsheilds the glue in type is pretty much a no go. The seal in style are still avaiable. You just have to search for a place that can get them.

So I can use a seal style windshield on my 83'? I thought there was something different that didn't allow you to use them...any one shine some light on this?

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (ams2hill)

Quote, originally posted by ams2hill »
when calling the glass shops ask for a 93 cabriolet windsheild and you must buy the correct seal. there around.

Ok...I get it that that window will work...but what seal would I use? The same I have in the car now or whats used on the 93 Cabriolet? Just trying to figure this out so I don't spend forever looking for what I don't need...

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
speedy glass still has some. Install is expensive, and the chrome seals cost more.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (SGLoki)

Quote, originally posted by SGLoki »
speedy glass still has some. Install is expensive, and the chrome seals cost more.

Still has some what? 83' glass that I can use with a glue in seal or a wrap around seal? Can you be more specific? I can get either seal...I just need to know what your referring to...thanks

Modified by flieger at 2:40 PM 5-2-2010

·
Registered
433 Posts
Re: (flieger)

I did my 83 gti last year with the cabrio glass and bought a cheap aftermarket seal $29.00. the seal is cracking on all the corners. I wish I would have bought the vw seal. I'd be ahead of the game now.
It is very easy for two people to install this glass, I would not pay big bucks to have them install it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Re: (ams2hill)

There is no seal for US-built rabbits, they use urethane windshield adhesive and a piece of black plastic trim. If you can't find the glass locally, call Pilkington Classics division and have them ship you one for 85-up cabby. The glass is about $150, bit shipping is really expensive (almost as much as the glass... shipping to a business address will save you a few bucks). Use the seal for 85-up cabby, which is commonly available. I got one from GAP, but am dissapointed to find that the corners are cracking, as noted by a previous poster. If you get a chance, examine the sill for rust damage while the old glass is out before installing the new glass. Also, if going this route your interior winshield trim won't really fit after installing the rope-in glass, but all but the lower piece can fudged.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Quote, originally posted by flieger »
So I've been trying to get a new piece of glass for my windshield. I do not have any local yards to go pull from so I'm left trying to get an aftermarket piece. I am however being told that they are not available?? I'm however seeing people here installing new windshields...so my question is...where are you getting your glass?

Oh...and where can I get a cushy new rubber strip that sits at the base of the rain tray that hold it in the bay? It's the strip that hit the bottom of the hood when it's closed...and I'm missing mine...

Modified by flieger at 9:49 PM 5-1-2010

you can get glass from a glass place for 80's Rabbits, you just gotta search. check every glass shop you can, although i couldn't see why they wouldn't be able to make you a piece to put in there.
you could even get one from another car....
as for the seal on the rain tray, i'm pretty sure you can get stuff like that in a roll. if not, try Mk1Autohaus on eBay, or try and find a good one off of a donor car.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I just had my windshield done 2 days ago...the shop here had no problems getting the glass, but i had to source my own seal...
I bought a brazilian made windshield seal from concept1 and apparently it fit quite well according to the shop...

·
Registered
168 Posts

I went through the same ordeal last month. I only found 3 windshields for an 83/84 glue-in in all of the southwest. I wanted to stay original, so mine was almost $400 installed. The first one that came into the glass shop was old and delaminated, so I located a Pilkenton in Texarkana, but it took two weeks to get it shipped.
If it's still available the Pilkenton distro center in Las Vegas had one.
Every shop I talked to in the DFW area, gave me a low price, but when the inventory guy got involved, they said they couldn't find one.
I'm not sure about the later Cabbie's, but I didn't want to use the rubber seal type....

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Windshield Glass? (jdub63)

Quote, originally posted by jdub63 »
I went through the same ordeal last month. I only found 3 windshields for an 83/84 glue-in in all of the southwest. I wanted to stay original, so mine was almost $400 installed. The first one that came into the glass shop was old and delaminated, so I located a Pilkenton in Texarkana, but it took two weeks to get it shipped.
If it's still available the Pilkenton distro center in Las Vegas had one.
Every shop I talked to in the DFW area, gave me a low price, but when the inventory guy got involved, they said they couldn't find one.
I'm not sure about the later Cabbie's, but I didn't want to use the rubber seal type....

Yea...I could care less about the price installed...I just want apiece of glass that I can use an original style seal on...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.