VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I got a crack in my windshield. It occured overnight, so it wasn't from a rock, and my car is in a locked, underground garage, so someone didn't hit it. The temprature was pretty steady, about 50-60 deg F, during the day before, night, and next day.
I took the car to the dealership and they claimed it was from a rock chip.
I then took the car to Klein Dickert (glass repair company, dealer and insurance recommended), and they guy looked at it for one second and said "definately a stress fracture".
Then took the car back to stealership and they said, "NO WAY!"
I am going to get the thing replaced, with my insurances 250 deductable, but am trying to find a way to get that back... cant really afford that now.
Has anyone else had a similar problem? the guy at the glass co said that he sees a LOT of these, especially on audi and vw, and generally on european cars because of the way the glass is secured to the frame.
Dealership is acting strangely to me, and the factory rep DECLINED to look at it..
I am not sure what my next action should be.
Thanks

·
Banned
6,488 Posts
Re: Windshield stress crack!!!! (queue)

It is highly likely that some nick in the glass started the concentration of stress. Therefore, it is highly likely that the problem started from a rock hit that progesses to a crack.
Stress cracking of the G4/J4 windshied without some nick in the surface is not a common problem.
Just pay for the replacement, and move on.

[Modified by NC-GTI, 4:38 PM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
28,094 Posts

I sued my local dealership in the 80s over a stress fracture in a replacement windshield. Another VW dealership told me that the replacement windshield was installed incorrectly.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts

Look for, or have the dealer look for a TSB on stress cracks. I'm pretty sure there is one.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Re: Windshield stress crack!!!! (NC-GTI)

it could be a small rock hit it and later on it spread...the same thing happened to my dad twice when the car was his. Shortly after replacing the windshield for the first time it happened again...I'll wait till before the next time I have to get the car inspected to replace it again
I would say wait until you have the money to get the windshield replaced. If the crack spreads a little I don't think it matters too much, the damage is already done and the windshield will have to be replaced regardless of the size of the crack

[Modified by NJTDI, 7:43 PM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Re: Windshield stress crack!!!! (Cooper)

get the window person to write a report about it. of course the dealer isnt going to listen to you, but coming from a professional, they might think twice.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts

I had it happen the morning I picked up my Jetta. Definitely a factory problem and yes, there certainly is a TSB covering glass problems.
My delivering dealer told me the day I picked up my car that they always keep at least 6 new windshields in stock at all times...there have been a lot of problems with the glass.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Windshield stress crack!!!! (dieseldorf)

Thanks guys for the quick response! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I have asked the dealership about any TSBs... although no one went to check on the computer, they just stated.. "Hmmm. no i havent' heard of that..." so I will go to a mechanic that I trust in town and have them do a search.
I have had numerous rock chips and pits in this windshield.... one time there was a small spiderweb (about .5 cm in diameter) that was repaired.
The dealership claims that it was a rock chip because there was a small pit along the crack.. while invisible to the human eye, it is noticable if you run a fine ball point pen along the crack. Therefore I doubt that the warranty will cover it regardless of the cause.
The reason that the glass shop said "stress crack" was because the crack (on the outer laminate layer) cracked, and appeared to be pulling up and away from the interior laminate layer, all the way along the crack... it looks as if the glass is been held on either side of the crack and being bent, so that the crack would open up. does that make sense?
Again... thanks.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Re: Windshield stress crack!!!! (NC-GTI)

Well, it happened to me last week, but it wasn't covered by any warranty. It's hard to prove stress cracks, no matter what your guy says. My deductable was only $50, though, and now my windshield has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

i think my girlfriends car cracked due to this stress situation. the crack started under the dash area near the wiper blade. the dealer has literaly had the car the day before and did some work to the ECU area so we were sure it was due to them. Since in Massachusetts windshields are covered under comprehensive insurance at no cost to the car owner there was really no issue to be made. i would think if you get a letter from a glass professional and take to dealer they should honor it under B2B. If no luck call VWOA and see if you can get any resolution from them, explaining what the glass professional told you. One thing, be sure you get a Factory VW/AUDI glass replacement. if not you can have issue down the road, also when you are going to sell your car, an obviously replaced windshield can be an area of concern for some people as it appears to have been in some type of accident that caused it to need replacing.

·
Registered
15,377 Posts

stress crack?
I don't think so.Thats why they glue windshield to the car.Strees crack is more possible in old cars.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I have asked the dealership about any TSBs... although no one went to check on the computer, they just stated.. "Hmmm. no i havent' heard of that..." so I will go to a mechanic that I trust in town and have them do a search.
[HR][/HR]​
Yeah I have had service managers say that crap to me. I had to give him the specific TSB # and told him to look it up. After he realized he wasn't talking to John Q Public he tried to lie his way out of it. I won't go to that dealer for service anymore.
Just take the TSB to them and shove it in their face (not really shove, but you get the idea).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Windshield stress crack!!!! (einsig)

just got a crack in my windshield too; it just seemed to appear one morning - I don't recall being hit my anything . . . strange

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Re: Windshield stress crack!!!! (scooter4343)

The same thing happened to my windshield! I think it had to do with the heat too, one day all of the sudden i noticed a crack
and it ketp getting biger and bigger/.....under warranty at my dealership

·
Registered
12,802 Posts

I had one a couple of months ago, windshield cracked right where the rv mirror was mounted. Dealer replaced it, no questions asked.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Windshield stress crack!!!! (wlombardi)

Dealership said that they dont cover glass after about 25000 mi... i am at about 27000.
What TSB numbers are relevent?
And also. Doesn't the fact that the windshield is glued on (as a structural member) make it more prone to stress cracks... The frame is not rigid (which is why we spend money on chassis stiffening
)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts