VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a weird problem. Maybe one of you has a solution.
Every time I use the windshield washers, the interior of the car immediately reeks of ammonia. It's bad enough to make my eyes water. The smell is obviously coming through the vents.
I'm sure the windshield washer fluid is to blame.... but I've never had this problem with other cars. Is there something specific about a Passat that traps the fluid somewhere?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
299 Posts
Re: Windshield washer problem (TravelnBill)

before someone gets mad about you not using the search feature, i will give you what it would tell you. It is all in teh fluid that VW uses from the Factory. I think we all have experianced it, it will go away once you change the fluid.
try the search feature before you post, most of the time someone has/had the same problem you are having. if you don't find anything, post it!!!!!!

·
Registered
593 Posts

Well mine smells like a lemon wax - something like Pledge I guess, not ammonia; and I kinda like it (weird
). But nonetheless, why dont you just flip your ventilation to recirculate before washing the windows. I'm sure you remember to close the sunroof before so one more little thing is no biggie.
(I haven't done the seach on this either - sorry)

·
Registered
39 Posts

Do your washers actually hit the windshield? What a concept! I have to take my car in to have them aimed...the right one sprays completely over the car, while the left one sprays the wiper arm very nicely, but not the glass. Count your blessings if you have washers that work!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: Windshield washer problem (pass-variant)

I'm hooked on that smell.
So much so that now I started mixing about half a tablespoon of dish soap with my washer fluid to replicate it

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: Windshield washer problem (BBear)

I can tell what smell was it in my car. It was cinammon! How I liked that smell...
When I got a low washing fluid alarm, I went to my dealer's service department, just to buy a gallon of washing fluid. The guy there made a confused face and said they buy it from AutoZone or whatever. So I rummaged through all the local auto parts stores and supermarkets, but I've never been able to find it.
Any recommendatitons of washing fluid?
Once I thought a drop of perfume into fluid, but not dared to it yet. Anyone tried?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re: Windshield washer problem (TucsonRaymo)

Hi TucsonRaymo,
I think you can aim both washer nozzles up/down. Just tilt the nozzle itself up/down to aim the spray to just below the middle of the windshield. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Windshield washer problem (BZZZZ_02_1.8t_Passat)

quote:[HR][/HR]try the search feature before you post, most of the time someone has/had the same problem you are having. if you don't find anything, post it!!!!!![HR][/HR]​
Thanks for the info. I'll change out that fluid. The stuff in my car stinks big time-- no nice lemon smell. Just ammonia.
BTW, I did search before I posted but wasn't sucessful.
I tried searched on the term "windshield washer" in the Passat B5 forum. No relevant hits. So I tired, searching on just "washer" in the Passat B5 forum and included the bodies of posts. Again no relevant posts. (Of course, NOW there are several hits from this thread.)

[Modified by TravelnBill, 5:06 PM 2-8-2002]

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Windshield washer problem (mgan)

Thanks for the suggestion! I went out to the garage & tried fooling around with the jets, and now I've managed to dislodge the right one from its mounting. I'm such a maroon.
Guess I need a gentler touch.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Re: Windshield washer problem (RyanFD_1.8T)

Is using dishwashing detergent a good idea? Which brand? I've never heard of adding that and would be concerned about too many bubbles and suds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.