VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get windshield wiper fluid that works and smells like the one that comes with the car.

·
Registered
13,012 Posts
Re: windshield wiper fluid (pipe)

I believe the dealer sells it...... i dunno why you want that stuff though. When I first got my car I sprayed like crazy just to flush it all out cause I couldnt stand how it smelled

But it does work really well, although I think I read its bad becuase its so strong that it'll take your wax off...

·
Registered
556 Posts
Re: windshield wiper fluid (Turbo Turd)

yea that stuff stinks ... everytime i open my hood, i smell that .. ugh
but the dealer must have it ... if not there, maybe parts4vws.com ?
otherwise, head over to wal-mart, k-mart, pep boys, etc and buy a bottle

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

mmmm. factory washer fluid smell.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: windshield wiper fluid (John A)

quote:[HR][/HR]mmmm. factory washer fluid smell.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
I second that, really the only reason I want the original fluid. I went to the dealer and they had something diffrent.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok, I talked to my dealer they said the had VW windshield wiper fluid. Went over laid down three bucks and it doesn't smell like anything. Anybody have a clue what makes it smell or where I can find a similar product as when you just bought the car?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] Ok, I talked to my dealer they said the had VW windshield wiper fluid. Went over laid down three bucks and it doesn't smell like anything. Anybody have a clue what makes it smell or where I can find a similar product as when you just bought the car?[HR][/HR]​
What about putting a bunch of rubbing alcohol into any standard fluid... should smell roughly the same.

·
Registered
18,206 Posts

no, i have no ideas.
i asked a dealer (not my usual one) about it, and the pointed me to 'vw washer fluid' -- but i popped the top and it didn't smell right.

we need to get a vw OEM washer fluid group buy going.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
washer fluid

the dealer's washer fluid is not the same as the factory fill. No one has been able to identify the factory fill and is probably something concocted in Mexico. Why would they ship washer fluid all the way from the Fatherland or the USA?? Remember that we live in age of cutting costs.
I have mixed 50/50 of ZVW 117 903 (VW's standard washer solvent) with ZVW 117 906 (VW's Premium washer solvent) and seem to have created a product quite like the factory fill. It smells very similar to the original stuff and works well.
Alternative: GM cranks out an excellent washer fluid that you mix down based upon your local climatic conditions==>> GM's Optikleen with P/N 1051515. check it out.

·
Registered
Plain Vanilla - no kicks!
12,600 Posts
Re: washer fluid (dieseldorf)

quote:[HR][/HR]the dealer's washer fluid is not the same as the factory fill. No one has been able to identify the factory fill and is probably something concocted in Mexico.[HR][/HR]​
My Brazilian built Golf had the same stuff, miss that smell. It kinda reminded me of Jack Daniels

·
Registered
972 Posts

Volvo sells the exact fluid and it is cheaper than VWs used to be before they changed the formula. I bought a couple of bottles from my VW and Volvo dealer. This characteristic smell is...alcohol...that is why you guys like this stuff, heh?
Just smell it and do not drink it. It is poisonous and...forbidde in some states concerned with the environment.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Re: washer fluid (wlombardi)

quote:[HR][/HR]
My Brazilian built Golf had the same stuff, miss that smell. It kinda reminded me of Jack Daniels
[HR][/HR]​

[Modified by dieseldorf, 6:55 PM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
7,873 Posts
Re: washer fluid

I used the RainX stuff u can get at PepBoys; it works like they advertise by beading the water off, BUT BUT BUT it builds up on the wiper rubber inserts and on the windshield; makes the wipers grab the windshield. I went to the blue stuff you can get at PepBoys and that works well.
I heard that P21S makes a windshield washer fluid BOOSTER. No kidding! I haven't tried it; any of you?

[Modified by 2001Bora, 6:51 PM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: washer fluid (2001Bora)

My buddy's S4 came with the good smelling stuff too! I'm pretty sure all AUDIs come with it too.
Thanks for the Volvo tip, I'll go check the lead this weekend.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Re: washer fluid (pipe)

My GTI was assembled in Germany and it has that smell. Actually, I used to live in Germany and all European car washerfluid smells like that. First time I sprayed my windshield I felt like I was back home. Ah, the memories.... I love that smell!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: washer fluid (Sechscylinder)

I can't believe we are discussing this...
Anyhow, VW (and Euro cars) seem to be the only ones that when you spray, the smell enters the car. My friend from Germany was visiting over the summer and he said they sell all different scents there and people actually use it as a car air freshener. lol.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Re: washer fluid (hanner80)

quote:[HR][/HR]I can't believe we are discussing this...
Anyhow, VW (and Euro cars) seem to be the only ones that when you spray, the smell enters the car. My friend from Germany was visiting over the summer and he said they sell all different scents there and people actually use it as a car air freshener. lol.[HR][/HR]​
The AC pulls it in

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Re: washer fluid (nate1.8t)

When I got my '98 A3 the original washer fluid was like awful, used dishwater. It was cloudy when it sprayed onto the windshield, and all the wipers did was smear it around. Ugh. For those of you that drive in winter, the only responsible choice is Prestone De-icer washer fluid. The stuff rocks. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 26 Posts