VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 Jetta 8v.
I picked this car up from a friend of mine for free while I take my VR Coupe apart this winter for the goodies i'm buying for it.. It was his daily beater while he was building his 16vT SyncRado.....
It had a few issues needed TLC that had to be sorted out and i Took care of them. Theres a few left that have me stumped....
--cold start issue.....The car doesnt idle on its own when its cold. It starts up and idles REALLY rough around 500-700, and if I dont hold the gas down a little, it will die. Once its warm it holds idle fine and starts fine. Coolant temp sensor????3
---I found a sensor that had a messed up wire at the plug. I believe its the TPS. It goes to a plug at the throttle body, which leads to a small microswitch UNDER the TB. What does this control/monitor?
--I also have the ground strap that comes off the valve cover not bolted up. I have to get a new one....Do these ground mods floating around really help out for an 8v ?

I'm not really too worried about this car...Its my winter beater anyway, But I commute about 30 miles to school and 30 back..and Need it to be somewhat reliable and not leave me stranded in the lot because it doesn't start.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
11,206 Posts
Re: Winter Beater Issues....8v help needed. (VRpoweredA2)

Quote, originally posted by VRpoweredA2 »
1989 Jetta 8v.
--cold start issue.....The car doesnt idle on its own when its cold. It starts up and idles REALLY rough around 500-700, and if I dont hold the gas down a little, it will die. Once its warm it holds idle fine and starts fine. Coolant temp sensor????3

Clean out the isv and throttle body,check for vacuum leaks.
---I found a sensor that had a messed up wire at the plug. I believe its the TPS. It goes to a plug at the throttle body, which leads to a small microswitch UNDER the TB. What does this control/monitor?
Thats for your idle/full throttle switches,may be contributing to your cold start idle issue.
--I also have the ground strap that comes off the valve cover not bolted up. I have to get a new one....Do these ground mods floating around really help out for an 8v ?
Yes replace that,digi2 needs that ground!
Any help is appreciated. Thanks! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
10,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Winter Beater Issues....8v help needed. (GLI_driver_found)

Ah yes i forgot to mention this...
I did in fact clean out the ISV-problem still there.
Where the blue check valve is, off the brake booster..there is supposed to be a "T" for vacuum that comes from that small vacuum canister under the driver side frame rail...well that T isnt there and the line coming from the bottle is capped with a screw. The only vacuum that I see in that area is the one coming off the hard plastic line off the booster, to the check valve and from the check valve inside the car to the heater controls.
I really appreciate your help.
Does anyone happen to have a good picture of a digi2 engine bay? I'd like to compare and see what is hooked up incorrectly. Maybe a vacuum diagram ? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.