VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

So some of you know that there are such things as dedicated winter tires. And there have been a lot improvements in tire technology so that you can get stud-like traction on ice - yet maintain good dry, wet and snow traction, which isn't so good with studded tires - with studdless tires. Some of you also know there are performance winter tires that aren't the same as studless winter tires.
And, half the country lives in a snowy area, whether it be north of the Mason-Dixon line, in the Smokie Mountains, the Rockies, the pacific northwest, or just the good ol' snow belt of the midwest. heck maybe more than half of the country faces winter driving situations.
Why is most of America clueless about winter tires and their advantages? Wouldn't it make sense for tire companies to promote them and make a bunch of sales? Wouldn't it make sense to have them on every car so there are less accidents - so why isn't the Insurance industry on this bandwagon, too.
And don't even get me started with rental cars....
Well, what can we do?

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (nm+)

but that defies financial logic. Shouldn't the tire companies be working with the wheel companies convincing you that you need two sets of tires? I can see all seasons for 3-seasons in the northern states with some serious studdless winter tires for the harshest winter months. And here in the balmy pac-nw, I could use summer tires 3-seasons and performance winter tires in the wettest season.
The tire and wheel companies would be rich!

· Registered
7,203 Posts
Re: Winter driving, winter tires, and a little rant. (Peter_Rabbit)

Quote, originally posted by Peter_Rabbit »
Ok,
And there have been a lot improvements in tire technology so that you can get stud-like traction on ice - yet maintain good dry, wet and snow traction, which isn't so good with studded tires - with studdless tires. Some of you also know there are performance winter tires that aren't the same as studless winter tires.

What exactly are you trying to say? "Performance" winter tires aren't any good?
Anyway, my snow tires are sitting in the garage patiently waiting for the first storm. Can't wait to drive past the tire store during the first snow and see all the idiots who've been driving around on bald tires frantically trying to get new set mounted.
Kinda strange that it's almost Dec. and the only places that have had any real snow are the PNW and CO.

· Registered
9,541 Posts
Re: (Peter_Rabbit)

technically, the miles you're putting on snow tires, you aren't putting on your all-season or summer tires. so those will last longer, the snow tires will last several seasons....sure you'll buy two sets of tires initially, but the replacement intervals for both will be extended by not running them in the other seasons, so it should cancel out (assuming even tire wear on both sets of tires, which I know isn't usually the case).

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Winter driving, winter tires, and a little rant. (AutobahnTDI)

Performance winter tires are like the Pirrelli sotto zero - they give up some ice traction for high speed stability - there are a whole host of them like Blizzak LM-25 etc.,
And studless winter tires are like the blizzak ws-50's, revo1....
Quote, originally posted by AutobahnTDI »

What exactly are you trying to say? "Performance" winter tires aren't any good?
Anyway, my snow tires are sitting in the garage patiently waiting for the first storm. Can't wait to drive past the tire store during the first snow and see all the idiots who've been driving around on bald tires frantically trying to get new set mounted.
Kinda strange that it's almost Dec. and the only places that have had any real snow are the PNW and CO.

you can learn more by visiting the manufactures web sites or tirerack.com
and the winter tires aren't just for snow, but also stay pliable at lower temperatures (below 40) and half the country is there already. And if you doubt this, put a pencil with an eraser in the freezer and 24 hours later take it out and see how hard it is and slippery it is on a surface when compared to a room-temperature eraser.

Modified by Peter_Rabbit at 5:30 PM 11-27-2006

· Premium Member
12,720 Posts
Re: (mynameisphunk)

Quote, originally posted by mynameisphunk »
technically, the miles you're putting on snow tires, you aren't putting on your all-season or summer tires. so those will last longer, the snow tires will last several seasons....sure you'll buy two sets of tires initially, but the replacement intervals for both will be extended by not running them in the other seasons, so it should cancel out (assuming even tire wear on both sets of tires, which I know isn't usually the case).

But not everyone is going to see it this way. I once tried to convince my mom this very same concept and couldnt get her to even consider it. And I'm sure a good majority of the country feels the same. If they get along fine with thier standard all season's, why buy another set. Personally I finacially could not afford it this year but next year FOR SURE I will have a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires.

· Registered
11,798 Posts
Re: (B3passatBMX)

^^^ thats the big thing. 99% of people on the road cannot or choose not to afford another set of tires. Their car is an appliance, the least amount of money spent on it, the better. A much related topic is that if people feel that a car needs snow tires to get through the winter, it is a 'bad' car.

· Registered
125 Posts

I've had this argument with numerous friends, mostly US friends. People feel that winter tires are only for huge snowstorms, blizzards, and ice rain. Since most of these people don't see that kind of weather often, they figure that they'll "get by" fine on all seasons and if worst comes to worst they just won't go out in the awful stuff. I've spent a winter on all-seasons, and I've spent numerous winters on pure winter tires, and performance winter tires.
You couldn't pay me enough to go through winter with all-seasons ever again, even in an area that will only see real snow a half dozen times. My preference is performance winter, and they've held up to the test here in Montreal 3 years running now.
People are set in their ways, and people are cheap. Their loss. They'll be sliding around and hating the weather when it snows, while I'll be driving fine and having a blast. All I have to do is avoid them =P

· Registered
9,541 Posts

Quote, originally posted by B3passatBMX »

But not everyone is going to see it this way. I once tried to convince my mom this very same concept and couldnt get her to even consider it. And I'm sure a good majority of the country feels the same. If they get along fine with thier standard all season's, why buy another set. Personally I finacially could not afford it this year but next year FOR SURE I will have a dedicated set of winter wheels and tires.

that's not really the point I was getting at- what i'm saying is that the tire manufacturers wouldn't necessarily be making any more money in the long run by making this big push for snow tires, as the all-seasons would get replaced half as frequently as well.

· Premium Member
12,720 Posts
Re: (mynameisphunk)

Quote, originally posted by mynameisphunk »

that's not really the point I was getting at- what i'm saying is that the tire manufacturers wouldn't necessarily be making any more money in the long run by making this big push for snow tires, as the all-seasons would get replaced half as frequently as well.

Ok I got you. Guess I didnt fully understand what you were getting at.

· Registered
9,541 Posts

but yes, snow tires rock, and no, my parents who live in minnesota will not buy them for either of their vehicles despite my best efforts to persuade them. Mine will go on the Scion this week so the snowplowing can commence

· Registered
4,170 Posts
Agreed 120%.
Right now it's about -26 C, or -14.8 F. Far from the coldest Calgary has seen, but certainly "enough" by most people's standards. Along with this temperature has come a fair bit of snow.
There are soooo many people out here who think their all season tires are sufficient. "I drive a (insert behemoth SUV here) with AWD, I don't need winter tires!", and it's truly amazing how many of these SUV's are sitting on the road side without their front bumpers, or are driven around at 40km/h below the speed limit, or are polishing an intersection to an icy shine because they can't maintain traction.
Most people just don't understand... the wheels driven, be it all, the front, or the back, is largely irrelevant compared to having the right set of tires.
I've seen so many people in all kinds of vehicles struggling to get up hills, spinning their wheels like mad, digging a ditch under each tire and ultimately getting stuck... and I pass them with ease in my humble little civic as if it were nothing.
Hell, my friend drives an e36 320i, with RWD of course. He bought a good set of winter tires and stuck some sand bags in the trunk, and he isn't having any problems either.
It's no wonder so many people are afraid of winter driving... 90% of them don't bother putting appropriate tires on, and are consequently slipping and sliding themselves into oblivion.

Modified by eibbor at 9:24 PM 11-27-2006

· Registered
13,060 Posts
Re: (cgj)

You know something, I'm an avid winter tire person. They really aren't that expensive and provide excellent traction in the snow.
But has anyone ever tried to convince captain all-season tire to switch? The person who's had 2 years on their all seasons and think they are safe to drive in winter.
You get the "fight of flight" response. You've offended them. You've offended they're way of driving. Dear I say, you've insulted they're driving intelligence.
I don't get it...

· Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
18,972 Posts
Re: Winter driving, winter tires, and a little rant. (Peter_Rabbit)

FWIW, I've noticed a lot more people using snow tires now than I did 10-years ago. So some people are getting the message.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
I'd say most of the country excluding mountain areas or areas where you get heavy snow fall the roads are cleared the day after a storm. Like here in Iowa I would think I would use snow tires maybe 3 times a year. Not worth the price to me unless I had to drive 15 miles plus to work during a storm.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.