VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Winter Weather around the corner now I am wondering how the MKV's were handling. I was driving a 4X4 and converted to a GLI 6m. So do you guys/ladies have any suggestions or stories of how the cars handle. Thanks.

· Banned
53,535 Posts
Re: Winter Driving (rotes Auto)

Quote, originally posted by rotes Auto »
and converted to a GLI 6m. So do you guys/ladies have any suggestions or stories of how the cars handle.

If you don't have the Summer Only tires, it will handle fine. If you have the Summer Only tires, it will be dangerous in temps below 40 F.
M&S rated tires will work fine for all but the most extreme situations.

· Registered
3,831 Posts
Re: Winter Driving (GTINC)

Winter tires. The FWD mk V is fine in the snow, ice, rain, slush, dry, hot, cold,... etc, if you have the right tires. You need to be able to stop, turn, and accelerate. 4x4 or AWD will only help you accelerate, not stop, not turn. For stopping and turning you need traction. Spend $500 get a set of winter tires and then your fwd mk V will pass all the awd suv w/out traction tires because you will be able to drive faster, stop shorter, and turn quicker.

· Banned
53,535 Posts
Re: Winter Driving (Peter_Rabbit)

Quote, originally posted by Peter_Rabbit »
Winter tires. Spend $500 get a set of winter tires and then your fwd mk V will pass all the awd suv w/out traction tires because you will be able to drive faster, stop shorter, and turn quicker.

Don't know about you, but I have no interest in driving around all winter on a special winter tires just for the few days needed in the Midwest. M&Ss and a little caution is a better option, IMO.

· Registered
20,901 Posts

havent driven the MKV in snow yet, but my MKIV handles really well. i expect my MKV to be the same... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emgift.gif

· Registered
135 Posts
Re: Winter Driving (mujjuman)

When we were hit by the now infamous October storm here in Buffalo, I found the GTI adequate with the Conti all seasons. The wide tire definitely wanted to float in the snow and slush. When I went through the deeper stuff, my front tires were actually throwing rooster tails of snow in front of the car! I definitely want a tire that sheds snow better. Still the GTI got me home when the poo hit the fan!

· Registered
5,104 Posts
Not everyone NEEDS winter tires. It is all dependent on the individuals situation. All seasons can work for some but for others that get more snow and drive a little bit more then Winter tires are awesome. I have never had winter tires and I live in WI. Just don't drive enough to justify them.

· Registered
627 Posts
get 4 mich pilot alpens ,use the smallest size rim and tire combo that clears brakes and has the same diameter,call tire rack for correct sizing, mount and balance free if you get wheels and tires together

Modified by rodhotter at 4:18 PM 11-28-2006

· Banned
4,496 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTINC »

Don't know about you, but I have no interest in driving around all winter on a special winter tires just for the few days needed in the Midwest. M&Ss and a little caution is a better option, IMO.

Good to know the winters around here aren't going to kill me after all...

· Registered
2017 Golf Sportwagen
483 Posts
you need at least a 16" wheel to clear the calipers, and it barely clears, believe me.
I was using the conti all seasons 17" and was getting decent traction/control, switched yesterday to my pirelli winter carving 16" and noticed a WORLD of difference.
I also live in an area that NEEDS winter tires, so, I'm biased

· Registered
2,422 Posts
Re: (Mike Gordon)

Many of us, our cars came with summer tires so we need to buy a tire that is usable in winter. In that case, one may as well buy winter tires.
I bought a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sports and even in dry weather at highway speeds they handle great and are very quiet. Well worth the $137 per tire from Tirerack.com http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,831 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GTINC »

I used to live in the midwest and - granted there are only a few "snow" days - but man! From mid november to mid June it is fricken cold. Winter tires stay pliable at much lower temps than summer tires and even all seasons. So, if you have summer tires like me, it makes sense to have winter tires. And if you ever drove on winter tires you would think that the all-seasons lack traction on dry pavement in winter on cold days.
I think the $500 is worth it for added safety and increased driving satisfaction. But, more peopel in this country agree that all-season tires are perfect. So, I guess I'm just "out there".

· Registered
69 Posts
Re: Winter Driving (Peter_Rabbit)

I drove to work today and we had 3' new snow and it was hard packed and slick! The rabbit gobbled it up like baby carrots! The electronic stabilization is spectacular. If you start to slide it corrects it's self!
Even on sharp turns I just down shifted and drove!
I run Conti all seasons on 16" wheels.
TITANVW

· Registered
770 Posts
Re: (fleuger99)

Quote, originally posted by fleuger99 »

Many of us, our cars came with summer tires so we need to buy a tire that is usable in winter. In that case, one may as well buy winter tires.
I bought a set of Dunlop SP Winter Sports and even in dry weather at highway speeds they handle great and are very quiet. Well worth the $137 per tire from Tirerack.com http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

EXACTLY...couldn't have said it better myself.
I even have another GTI (MK3 VR6) that I use as a winter car...& it has snow tires too. BUT, I bought a winter package from TireRack, as I knew if I needed to go somewhere in my MKV these next few months, I wouldn't get anywhere on the 18" summer tires on my Huf's.

· Registered
267 Posts
Re: (vw4ross)

Quote, originally posted by vw4ross »

EXACTLY...couldn't have said it better myself.
I even have another GTI (MK3 VR6) that I use as a winter car...& it has snow tires too. BUT, I bought a winter package from TireRack, as I knew if I needed to go somewhere in my MKV these next few months, I wouldn't get anywhere on the 18" summer tires on my Huf's.

Ditto....if you enjoy summer performance tires then it's a given you will have to have a winter set up and why would you use all seasons in the winter if you are only using them in the winter? I really love being able to change my car's look twice a year. Like changing clothes.

· Registered
770 Posts
Re: (losinsusan)

Quote, originally posted by losinsusan »

... I really love being able to change my car's look twice a year. Like changing clothes.

Personally, I dunno if I can say that. If I remember correctly, you got a nice looking set of 17" wheels for winter. I went down to cheaper 16" wheels, and they just don't look right. I can live with it until April though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.