VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

181 - 200 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I'm liking the turnout of this project, have you a name for the car??

Milt
Yeah they named it at the factory 16 years are, R32 :p .. JK. I haven't really thought about that, never named cars prior.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
Another day another issue. So the oilpan with the JB weld is leaking now, so I need to find another oilpan, the rear sway bar bushings need to be replaced AAAAND I'm getting new exhaust and dogbone mount put in at the same time. Taking the old stuff out and hopefully fixing it up so someone else has full use of it.

Let me reword this again, I have a friend that's really interested in buying the blue one as he found out I just picked up this silver R32 :laugh:. I don't plan on selling it anytime soon, there's lots of work to be done. Now I got a great price on the silver one that popped up close to me and I couldn't say no. Overall, this has been really a very therapeutic experience for me and alleviating the work from home stress.

Edit:
I should clarify, friend is interested in buying it, I am not selling it. Still needs lots of work during the winter months :)

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #185 (Edited)
Wait. You're selling it already? Did I miss something earlier in this thread?
No not selling it yet, just picked up another R32. I have loads to go before the sale will even happen :) if at all. I've added a clarification to my earlier post. I'll probaly not get as much done as I've hoped, so the exterior things to fix will slow down a bit as I work on the silver one in parallel.

·
Super Moderator
6,989 Posts
No not selling it yet, just picked up another R32. I have loads to go before the sale will even happen :) if at all. I've added a clarification to my earlier post. I'll probaly not get as much done as I've hoped, so the exterior things to fix will slow down a bit as I work on the silver one in parallel.
Ah, the floodgates have opened now.

I’ve definitely done the “why have just one example of the car I like, when I can have two” hobby car thing. As long as you don’t actually rely on either car to be working, it’s a blast :laugh:

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #187

I’ve definitely done the “why have just one example of the car I like, when I can have two” hobby car thing. As long as you don’t actually rely on either car to be working, it’s a blast :laugh:
May I say, I'm buying another next week :eek::eek:. Now I'm looking for garage/storage space ...

·
Registered
458 Posts
This guy has an R32 addiction lol I like it. In for more pics of the second R32.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
This guy has an R32 addiction lol I like it. In for more pics of the second R32.

Absolutely sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87,826 Posts

Hahaha.

If this isn’t the realest thing I’ve read. :laugh:

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #192 (Edited)
Hahaha.

If this isn’t the realest thing I’ve read. :laugh:
Its all your fault and your R32 whatsapp group :p

Great buy!!!

Is this one staying a little longer?

Yeah for sure, I'm liking this so much, the car is such a good drive, the suspension is on point, the sound is mmm. Issues to note tho, ABS module is effed, needs 02 spacer, needs some PDR, 6th gear grinds could be the aftermarket short shifter or something with the syncro perhaps ... who knows. I am selling the TTRS and buying 2-3 more R32s to build up and work on. I'm having a freakin' blast. Why haven't I done this before :eek::eek: My dad is my main parts guy right now, he'll be driving across the country to get the parts for me. He just came back with a few things I got from a fellow R32 guy and oneloveautogroup ... they stock most mk4 stuff.

And I got a mint downpipes and catback exhaust for the blue R delivered from Allentown PA, $500 but .. hey beats fiddlin' with aftermarket stuff. I got the catback from Atomicalex as well, pending pickup next week I hope.

Exhaust ...

So new rain tray:

Oh and one more thing to note, found a shop in Chicago that will redo my original seats for $450/each with vinyl or for $90 more do full leather. One of the R32 owners in the classifieds showed me his seats redone and the quality is on point. Oh and one more thing ... CLOTH > LEATHER all day everyday for these seats. Wow .. such a huge difference in comfort and sweating LOL. I'm a short fat dude so it helps.

I'll keep bumping this until we get the blue R finished.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,870 Posts
Wait. Blue car is #1, silver car is #2, and there is a 3rd joining the group next week? Then you're going to sell your TTRS to but 2 to 3 more R32's? :eek:

I'm digging your style. :thumbup: All this refresh work and looking for nice OEM parts and such is just so cool to me.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Wait. Blue car is #1, silver car is #2, and there is a 3rd joining the group next week? Then you're going to sell your TTRS to but 2 to 3 more R32's? :eek:
Yeah, I'm trying to wrap my head around this as well.

Schwabo - you're nutty.

I :heart: it!

At this point, hold on to the blue, silver, and now acquire the Red and Black.
But i have a feeling you're already 3 steps ahead and the other colors are in transit as I type this... :laugh:

Not sure if i missed it, but assuming the TT RS is gone already?

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Good call on the silver one.
This thread is a good example of the old addage "buy the best one you can afford".
for $10k it was a good buy, it also needs stuff fixing but man am I having a blast doing so. This is straight therapy from this COVID/WFH jail.

I'm digging your style. :thumbup: All this refresh work and looking for nice OEM parts and such is just so cool to me.
So I'm selling the TTRS right now, to make room for more R32s. In total there will be 3 R32s and bye bye TTRS. I'm gonna say this again, the R32 is more fun to drive than the TTRS :rolleyes:. I am really enjoying myself, feels good to be doing stuff myself again. Granted my bad back limits me to what I can or can't do, so a local shop is helping me, but once I get a property for storage, I'll be putting in some lifts to do the work myself.

But the plan is to keep 2 one way or another. I want to drive one at least 2-3 times a week alongside the RS3 (current daily). Keep one for my kid, so when he turns 15 he gets to share the addiction. No better way to keep kids out of trouble than giving them an a VW :laugh::laugh:. He'll spend all his money on parts and upkeep.

This is something I wasn't planning on doing, but as I've been involved with these MK4 car groups I keep finding more and more parts and cars I want. I'd love to put an HPA kit on one ... the sound of the VR6 is epic. I don't know if I've posted the video yet .. but here's a quick crappy cell vid of the exhaust and some of the issues etc with the silver one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68IYlgf5BDA

I can't wait to go out and drive it ... bonus is no radio code :laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,870 Posts
for $10k it was a good buy, it also needs stuff fixing but man am I having a blast doing so. This is straight therapy from this COVID/WFH jail.

So I'm selling the TTRS right now, to make room for more R32s. In total there will be 3 R32s and bye bye TTRS. I'm gonna say this again, the R32 is more fun to drive than the TTRS :rolleyes:. I am really enjoying myself, feels good to be doing stuff myself again. Granted my bad back limits me to what I can or can't do, so a local shop is helping me, but once I get a property for storage, I'll be putting in some lifts to do the work myself.

But the plan is to keep 2 one way or another. I want to drive one at least 2-3 times a week alongside the RS3 (current daily). Keep one for my kid, so when he turns 15 he gets to share the addiction. No better way to keep kids out of trouble than giving them an a VW :laugh::laugh:. He'll spend all his money on parts and upkeep.

This is something I wasn't planning on doing, but as I've been involved with these MK4 car groups I keep finding more and more parts and cars I want. I'd love to put an HPA kit on one ... the sound of the VR6 is epic. I don't know if I've posted the video yet .. but here's a quick crappy cell vid of the exhaust and some of the issues etc with the silver one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68IYlgf5BDA

I can't wait to go out and drive it ... bonus is no radio code :laugh::laugh:
This is the kind of stuff I really can lose myself in. Granted, I have two brand new cars and child care expenses so there isn't much tinkering going on haha. This kind of stuff brings me back to searching ebay and pick-n-pulls for OEM upgrades to my Saturns back in high school.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
there's a reason I sold my Magnaflow catback and went back to stock on my R32. the stock exhaust is so good and paired with some high flow cats, it's even better.
It's so good with all configurations aside from a leaking exhaust LMAO. Even then it rumbles nicely.

This is the kind of stuff I really can lose myself in. Granted, I have two brand new cars and child care expenses so there isn't much tinkering going on haha. This kind of stuff brings me back to searching ebay and pick-n-pulls for OEM upgrades to my Saturns back in high school.
Hey man, I got 3 kids, childcare is a <insert any awesome sports car> expense right now LOL, I feel ya. I have taken a long break from owning something that I had to "FIX" rather than update working parts with other working parts. It's really humbling too, you have your new cars and then you have your work in progress cars. I love driving both but it's really true .. ."driving slow cars fast is more enjoyable than fast cars slow", good thing I got my Miata fix whilst in college working as a detailer at a Mazda dealership :laugh:. I could never fit in those things, being fat has its privileges :laugh:

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
So rear bushings are getting installed right now, new exhaust and downpipes installed next week and the car should purr nicely. Then it'll get placed in storage for a few months until we get the paint figured out. That should be it for a little while. Also got a new key for the silver R32, $60 isn't that bad :)

181 - 200 of 248 Posts