VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

221 - 240 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)

Dang man, save some of them for the rest of us!
I'm holding back, I almost bid on the BaT one ... I'm laying low and getting these things sorted first.

Definitely save some .:Rs for the rest of us bro!

How much fun did you have getting that clutch pedal cover on?
Bro STILL haven't done it.

Loving all of this. 💘
<3 TY SIR! Your Radio is going to get transplanted into the Silver R32 asap.
fixed it for you. :D

hopefully your dad made it home safely - saw a winter storm was heading through MN and WI. 🍺
Why can't I get this right? I have no idea why I say Atomicalex ... TYVM!!!! You've been awesome! OH boy do I have a story ....

So my dad decided to go through Iowa as he didn't want to deal with the traffic and hassle of IL -> WI. ... So as he was driving, blizzard hit hard, and he decided to stop through a little town in bum*uck IA, the All Season Tires that are on the car performed pretty bad, he hit a turn and went off the road. So now he's stuck. Middle of nowhere, and he didn't call me. So he was there for over an hour and I called him and he was "I'm trying to find the *ucking tow hook to get pulled out of the snow bank". I'm trying to explain it to him, he doesn't understand and it was blowing winds 60+ MPH, snow, cold it was terrible. Car is stuck, he's all wet from trying to dig the car out, can't find the hook and it's like 8PM in blizzard conditions. I'm freaking out, he's 200 miles from home ... I can't leave and make it there on time. He calls me an hour later, he got out, but the guy helping him got his flashlight stuck in the rear wheel and it blocked the wheel. He could smell the rubber from the wheel dragging on the road .. SMH. I'm like what the **** is going on here .... He got a ride from the Hwy Patrol to a randomass hotel. He's tired, wet and almost got hypothermia from digging the car out. Mind you my dad is 63 .. and in great health but that outdid him hard. He forgot his glasses in the car and couldn't tell me where he was or what place ... I was feeling so bad that he's doing this for me and he's stuck. I advised him earlier to stop and get a hotel but he said naah i'll be good .. car has AWD. Car is in the middle of the road somewhere, stuck and inside a blizzard.

The gist of it:
He got stuck, he ended up in a hotel (even though he didn't want one) and the following morning (this morning) he got unstuck and started driving again at around 11AM. He got home at 4PM and most of the roads in Iowa were blocked off due to high winds and whiteout conditions.

What a cluster ... I was really worried about my dad and the storm ... man that got serious real quick.

I'll have more updates soon <3

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,611 Posts
I'm holding back, I almost bid on the BaT one ... I'm laying low and getting these things sorted first.

Bro STILL haven't done it.
Great progress so far. When you do have time to install the pedal cover soak it in very warm water for minute or two so it is easier to install. Not boiling water but fairly close, and wear gloves.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #224

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,304 Posts
Wow, glad your dad ended up ok. That kind of thing can turn bad in a hurry. At least he has another story to tell at 63. 👍

Also you just reminded me to dig my tow eye out of the trunk and keep in a handy spot.

·
Premium Member
87,807 Posts
Sounds like you owe pops a nice dinner or three!

With the pedal covers, heat them up in very hot water or use Windex of some sort.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Will we get to see the progress of the garage extension?
No extensions possible at the current place ... I'm hoping to build something next spring.

Wow, glad your dad ended up ok. That kind of thing can turn bad in a hurry. At least he has another story to tell at 63. 👍
Also you just reminded me to dig my tow eye out of the trunk and keep in a handy spot.
IT really did, he got lucky that people stopped and helped him out. He was tired, wet and done with this trip.
Sounds like you owe pops a nice dinner or three!
With the pedal covers, heat them up in very hot water or use Windex of some sort.
Oh yeah, he's a big fan of lamb, so I get him sorted with some lamb chops and lamb steak :)
You got it sir, as soon as I get the car inside I'll jump on it :)

Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
44,621 Posts
Whew! :oops:

When Mother Nature wants you to pay attention, you’d better pay attention!

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Well the 3rd R32 car is safely stored in my mom's garage until I find proper storage this spring. I have big plans and hopefully they'll pan out. I have started something as a fun hobby and slowly turning it into a passion to keep these cars on the road. I have now collected 4 of them ... vs having a single car (911 T ... we'll meet again) ... I am having a blast reconnecting with people that own these cars and we have a small chat group on whatsapp to keep in touch and help each other out. I am getting a lot of requests now regarding "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH SO MANY CARS???", "SELL ME ONE" ... how much, when is it for sale etc. Realistically I wanted to keep 1, but now I'm saying 2 and it's really hard to let go of them. Eventually I'd like to keep one for my kid and have him enjoy it a while.

So I now have the following:
1 Silver R32 - 34k miles with odo discrepancy
1 Silver R32 - 150k miles, tons of mods, leaks oil where it shouldn't
1 Blue R32 - 133k miles, tons of issues, put lots of time and effort into it, still has tons of things to fix
1 Blue R32 - 68k miles, not mint, has a few things to get storted still ... but overall decent shape

I will be at some point letting 2 of them go .. which ones I don't know ... I like to drive them all and they all have their quirks, the Milltek full exhaust and headers on the 150k Silver one sound amazing and its suspension is dialed in just right.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
I have no idea what 150k mile R32's are worth, but you have my full attention.
What if I told you that one is my favorite right now LOL. I paid north of $10k for it, needs about another $3-4k worth of stuff done to it ... to be solid. I'll make some posts when I deem they're "done", and lets be honest here ... none of them are done .. they're VWs LOL.

Reactions: oidoglr

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,648 Posts
Trying to follow along here... Are you taking in wayward R32s to fix up and release to the world? Or are you canabalizing three of them to make one perfect example?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I am getting a lot of requests now regarding "WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH SO MANY CARS???", "SELL ME ONE" ... how much, when is it for sale etc. Realistically I wanted to keep 1, but now I'm saying 2 and it's really hard to let go of them.
I'll bet there's even more folks that just haven't IM'd you yet.. raises hand

I think this just goes to show - you're going to give up workin' for the man and end up starting an R32 specialty shop where you specialize in refreshing and reselling the mythical golfs. :)

Glad to hear things were OK with Dad and look forward to future updates! (y)

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Trying to follow along here... Are you taking in wayward R32s to fix up and release to the world? Or are you canabalizing three of them to make one perfect example?
I was bored, I thought building up a single R32 and making it great again :p. Then I found more that needed updates and loving and I thought why not. I ended up finding more and more cars that I liked and eventually have 4 projects running in parallel. I can't keep them all, I want to release them into the wild in much better condition than found. It keeps me busy and active aside from working from home. I was going to get a Pcar last fall that ended up into a TTRS that I just sold and now I'm deep into R32 restoration. Now I'm looking at a property to store and work on them, get a lift there and get a mechanic to help out. It's really something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and I keep on seeing where this takes me.

TLDR: Fixing up R32s that eventually I'll sell to someone. Most not for profit, for what I got into it at best or less. Some for profit to offset the money spent.

I'll bet there's even more folks that just haven't IM'd you yet.. raises hand
I think this just goes to show - you're going to give up workin' for the man and end up starting an R32 specialty shop where you specialize in refreshing and reselling the mythical golfs. :)
Glad to hear things were OK with Dad and look forward to future updates! (y)
Thank you! I would like to do this in all honesty, but it's hard to leave a job that's rewarding in its own and bring is a good chunk of money to support this journey. As mentioned above, I'm starting to look into properties that can support my crazy dream. I'm looking at outskirts of town for a shop, storage and then eventually resto jobs. I have had a few people approach me to import cars from EU as well ... it's been a weird past few months.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,304 Posts
I was bored, I thought building up a single R32 and making it great again :p. Then I found more that needed updates and loving and I thought why not. I ended up finding more and more cars that I liked and eventually have 4 projects running in parallel. I can't keep them all, I want to release them into the wild in much better condition than found. It keeps me busy and active aside from working from home. I was going to get a Pcar last fall that ended up into a TTRS that I just sold and now I'm deep into R32 restoration. Now I'm looking at a property to store and work on them, get a lift there and get a mechanic to help out. It's really something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and I keep on seeing where this takes me.

TLDR: Fixing up R32s that eventually I'll sell to someone. Most not for profit, for what I got into it at best or less. Some for profit to offset the money spent.

Thank you! I would like to do this in all honesty, but it's hard to leave a job that's rewarding in its own and bring is a good chunk of money to support this journey. As mentioned above, I'm starting to look into properties that can support my crazy dream. I'm looking at outskirts of town for a shop, storage and then eventually resto jobs. I have had a few people approach me to import cars from EU as well ... it's been a weird past few months.
I think you are taking the right approach. A friend of mine was making a ton of money in construction but wanted to start a BBQ restaurant. He started off by just catering small events with food prepped at home.

When it got to be too much for their kitchen, he built a second kitchen in the finished basement. Then when he could afford to, he built out a trailer to do more/larger events.

Then he quit his day job because it was lucrative enough. Now he owns a successful restaurant.

Start off small and see how it goes. I definitely wouldn't quit anything until you feel you can financially make the leap.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
I think you are taking the right approach. A friend of mine was making a ton of money in construction but wanted to start a BBQ restaurant. He started off by just catering small events with food prepped at home.
When it got to be too much for their kitchen, he built a second kitchen in the finished basement. Then when he could afford to, he built out a trailer to do more/larger events.
Then he quit his day job because it was lucrative enough. Now he owns a successful restaurant.
Start off small and see how it goes. I definitely wouldn't quit anything until you feel you can financially make the leap.
I honestly don't think I'll ever quit software engineering, it's rewarding work and keeps your on your toes. I like the technology and the type of work environment! I would love to make that my main job TBH but I don't see if going past 4-5 cars a year to fix up and sell pending I get a dealer license at some point. In MN, if you sell more than 6 cars a year you need to get a dealer license ... weird I know.

I'll see where this takes me ... I do enjoy getting my hands dirty and getting into the updates.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Start a Youtube channel!!

Get a million subs and start driving a Lambo swapped R32 :)

Keep up the good work kind sir.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

221 - 240 of 248 Posts