VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got a couple questions about Cabrios during the winter. I've searched and can't find the answers I'm looking for. The car in question is a 2000. My girlfriend is looking at Cabrios and Jettas, and shes on the brink of this Cabrio, since she's getting a good deal on it. Shes worried about winters and living in New Hampshire and doesnt want to make the wrong decision by buying this Cabrio, so she sent me out to get some information. Main concerns are the car itself being cold, since its a convertible, but then again, thats what the make heaters for. Is the cold a noticable problem? Are they drafty cars? Do they tend to fog up quicker and more frequently than other cars to the point where its a nuisence? How about handling in the snow? Its a 5 speed, and it'll have all seasons on it. Do you need to put winter tires on it, or can you get away with the all seasons? Basically, we know the pros, and we're looking for some cons, in order to get the full spectrum, so I figured I'd go right to the source to find out. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

· Registered
819 Posts
Re: Winter question from a prospective buyer (MJB1235)

The defining factor regarding a comfortable and warm ride in a Cabriolet during winter is... the top. Of course, a functioning heater plays a role. How's the radiator and heater core plus hoses? Do the defrosters work? Check all the vacuum-operated air and heat circuits for correct function. Vacuum leaks can be another Cabrio curse.
If the top leaks air and/or water, it's going to be a tad uncomfortable. Water leaks, due to aging and/or improperly aligned weatherseals, sagging doors, worn out tops... what a pain.
Take the prospective car purchase to a local car wash and hammer it. Have your lady sit inside and watch for leaks and drips, particularly in the area of the top latch handles.
If everything is good to go, buy it and have some winter fun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.