VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to putting on my winter tires and the car was semi clean so decided to take some pics and post. Now can't wait to play in the snow.

Let me know what you think of the wheels.
Alex..

· Registered
271 Posts
Re: Winter tires for the car :) (dbla)

I am glad to see your post. I had looked at those wheels on tirerack and liked them. Tirerack had listed a Audi A3 set of alloy winter wheels and tires for $649 in the Dec. Road & Track and I called them the day I got it... but of course they were out of stock. I was then looking at the wheels you got and ultimately found a very similar set for $299 here: http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/n....html
The last ones at the bottom of the page. With a ET 42 you have 20mm more clearance inside and they only come out 8mm. I ended up deciding on 205/55-16's. Discount Tire sells complete sets of Nitto NT-SN1 (consumer reports #2 rated) for $339 shipping included on eBay in this size so I picked up a set of those.
Did you go 205 or 225 in your width?
I drive enough in ME and NH in the winter that I opted for the longer contact patch the narrow tire affords me due to the amount of snow and ice I drive on.
Congrats on your winters. They look good and will be easy to clean. Safe driving this winter!
Now if I could just find a set of slotted rotors for this car (ECS this is a subtle request aimed at you). It is really nice to run them for wiping off the water and slush when you need the brakes NOW!

Modified by wchp at 3:49 AM 11-27-2006

· Registered
4,139 Posts
Re: Winter tires for the car :) (wchp)

Not bad, I thought the 16s would look even smaller. Function>form.
Gambling week to week here, probably putting mine on this coming weekend. Even if there's no snow in the forcast, I'm finding myself spinning the summer tires coming out of the tollbooths most mornings due to colder temps

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Winter tires for the car :) (kharma)

The tires are Dunlop Wintersport 3D 205 55/R16. Was debating whether to get steel wheels or the alloys. I guess you can see which ones won out.
Didn't really see the point in getting anything wider or bigger. I had the same size w/ all seasons on my 325xi and had no problems in the winter (except due to my own stupidity. Who knew the ground clearance was not high enough to clear the snow bank created by the plow?
), so this could only be an improvement.
Those look sweet, and saved you more than few bucks over what I ended up paying for the package from Tire Rack. If I saw the site I prob would have gotten those. I guess the only advantage was that Tire Rack shipped them pre-balanced and with new lug bolts, so I didn't have to ship or truck them over to a tire place. I actually didn't really want the 18s that came the car, liked the stock 17s much better, but the dealer didn't have anything with those wheels on the lot and I didn't want to wait for them to special order or find another car.
It's actually like 60 deg over here. Hoping it gets cold soon, before I wear the winters out
otherwise I might have to put the 18s back on.
Alex..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.