VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Bridgestone's RE 730's on right now and they are still pretty new. They have alot more traction then my stocks. So i'm debating whether i should keep them on or put the stocks back on. What should i do? Do these 730's perform well on snow? any input would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re: Winter Tires: To put on or not to put on... (Silver Ghost)

I don't know what its like there, but up here in the G.W.N. I think its a necessity. Everyone is convinced that All-Seasons are good enough, but you should have seen them sliding this morning!
I will never go without winter tires. Once you use them, you never go back.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Re: Winter Tires: To put on or not to put on... (dekael)

I have 730's and live in New Jersey. I got thru last winter with them, they don't go so good thru the snow, prob 'cause they're so wide (but I'm sure they're better than stock), but I don't think we get enough snow to make it worthwhile to switch to snows. I never got stuck using the 730's, but the traction control is what saved me, not the tires.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Re: Winter Tires: To put on or not to put on... (Mark1)

Don't go back to stock. Your current tires will be better. If anything, you need to get real winter tires that you can mount on your stock rims. I would say it depends on how much driving you do on snow and ice. I lived in Ohio for 4 years and it certainly wasn't necessary there, but folks up in Canada may have a different situation. I don't know about MD.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Re: Winter Tires: To put on or not to put on... (Mark1)

jersey here too ... i have the stock tires that come with the 17" package (pilot sport) .. this will be my first winter with the car and was wondering how they would do in the snow ... we get snow sometimes, but i don't think it warrants stock steelies and nokian tires or anything like that ... also i only have 17"s, how would you suggest protecting them over the winter? i'm planning on getting new rims in the spring for april-sept/oct, and keeping the long beaches for winter. what do you guys (in jersey) suggest?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re: Winter Tires: To put on or not to put on... (vr6dubber23)

Pilot Sports? They're not even All-Season.
From my knowledge performance tires (like Pilot Sports) begin to harden and lose traction below 5deg C (41F). You might get away with wet snow, but not cold temp or ice. I had a friend with a 944T and summer rubber and he couldn't drive 5 feet down his icy laneway (his Dodge Omni winter car had no problem with crappy allseasons).
Save the rims from winter salt and sand. I just makes you appreciate spring that much more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts