VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Re: Winter Washing (gti303)

quote:[HR][/HR]haha bro, i have an undergroud parking where there is a stall that is made for washing cars...hehe cool eh?[HR][/HR]​
That's pretty sweet indeed! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Re: Winter Washing (EvolDUB)

No fancy underground wash for me

The car gets washed weekly, all year round. In winter, I use very hot water in the wash bucket, a pair of thick elbow-length rubber gloves. Not too bad except for drying, takes the longest. Oh, and your driveway is a skating rink the next day too

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Re: Winter Washing (Zwoobah)

You need a winter wash hose...I hook a hose up to my laundry room tap, pump the warm water from it to wash the car. Remove and unhook the hose when your finished, and store it inside (like in the basement, this keeps it from freezing - so you can wash all the salt and crap off your car whenever you want) Plus you keep your hands warm by using warm water

·
Registered
609 Posts
Re: Winter Washing (lowNslo)

Wax it alot before winter. Then during winter when the car is salty, just rinse it off. You really don't need to use soap since the salt cleans the car by eating away a thin layer of the wax/clearcoat. Thats what I have been told at least

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Re: Winter Washing (NorthDakota2.0)

I used to just wash it once a week at the good car wash, but the damn coilovers make it sit too low so now I scrape when I go through it. Have to come up with a plan b

·
Registered
15,575 Posts
Re: Winter Washing (schleppy)

I wait for 30* or more on a sunny day, and then wash with regular facet water. Warm water removes wax, that is why car washes use it, and removing wax is the last thing you want to do during winter. I keep the hose empty in the basement, and have some heavy rubber gloves with a thivk liner from Home Depot. Wash, dry and leave it in the sun if the temp was a little below 32* when you did it. I do it at least once a week in winter...and keep a nice coat of wax on your rims....

Sean

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Re: Winter Washing (trn905)

I at least stop at the coin-op once a week and rinse the car off- if not I always carry a wash bucket and mitt along with some towels in the trunk- if I have a little extra time I will give her a good cleaning and then come home and wax it in the heated garage.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Re: Winter Washing (EuroStyle)

you know your stuff man... It doesn't get as cold around here as your weather but it DOES get cold... a couple of very good waxings before winter can make a helluva difference... my 2 centavos...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Winter Washing (das krahe)

quote:[HR][/HR]you know your stuff man... It doesn't get as cold around here as your weather but it DOES get cold... a couple of very good waxings before winter can make a helluva difference... my 2 centavos...[HR][/HR]​
Thanks for the tip guys.
Canadians have to deal with -15 to -30 degree (celcius) temperatures)
Spraying water on the car would just turn to ice.
I usually go to one of those indoor, do it yourself things.
Just wondering if anyone had something different. I will do that heavy waxing thing though. Thankx!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.