VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I tried searching I know there's a thread on it but I cannot find it for the life of me, my buddy has a set of steel wheels from his passat he's going to give me I just need tires the wheels are 16s what tire size do I need

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Ok guys I tried searching I know there's a thread on it but I cannot find it for the life of me, my buddy has a set of steel wheels from his passat he's going to give me I just need tires the wheels are 16s what tire size do I need
Most likely 205 50 16 as this is OE size.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know if steel wheels are available that would fit a MK7 GTI with performance package? Somehow I prefer the look of steel in the winter over the cheap alloys I may have to buy. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was actually looking at the 17x7 Beetle Heritage wheels for a winter setup. They're alloy, but still have the steelie look. 43mm offset vs. the 49mm of the Austin. Haven't been able to confirm if they'll clear the PP brake kit with spacers.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I was actually looking at the 17x7 Beetle Heritage wheels for a winter setup. They're alloy, but still have the steelie look. 43mm offset vs. the 49mm of the Austin. Haven't been able to confirm if they'll clear the PP brake kit with spacers.
Let us know if this works. I'm interested in this setup too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ECS tuning used to have the VW "tronic" wheel - which was a 17x6 designed to fit over the brakes. It's what they used on the Golf R in their snow drift article.
I'm just going to get some 17's from TR and source some local snows.

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was looking at the same thing. As far as I can tell, 16" steelies will fit the standard calipers, but the PP needs 17's. I don't believe TireRack sells 17" steelies.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Are those the Blizzak WS80? Can't really read :)
Am debating on getting Blizzak WS80's or Michelin Xi3

Also debating on the wheels for my GTI + PP.
Yup, those are the WS-80. I got this set from a buddy who bought this setup in Nov 2014 and then got t-boned in March 2015. Whopping 3K miles on this setup, the wheels are minty fresh.

I had the WS-80 on my MKIV and loved them, if you've got the cash they are worth it just for ice traction. In slush/snow I know most snows are roughly the same but the Blizzaks are insane on slick/icy roads. You can stop on ice like it's wet pavement.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yup, those are the WS-80. I got this set from a buddy who bought this setup in Nov 2014 and then got t-boned in March 2015. Whopping 3K miles on this setup, the wheels are minty fresh.

I had the WS-80 on my MKIV and loved them, if you've got the cash they are worth it just for ice traction. In slush/snow I know most snows are roughly the same but the Blizzaks are insane on slick/icy roads. You can stop on ice like it's wet pavement.
Great after last winter I will need some goot winter tires, when snow melts the hill I live on gets icy every day at night, so would definitely help.

Ok problem one solved, will go with the WS80s, now just need to find some cheaper wheels with the same bolt setup to make it easy for changing.
BBS is a little too pricey for my winter setup :), prefer to have future BBS for Summer setup instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having had both Michelin xIce and multiple sets of Blizzaks, I'm getting Blizzaks for my next set. IMO, the Michelins are better on black ice, smoother and quieter on dry pavement. The Blizzaks are better in in slush and deep snow. YMMV

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Wondering if 18" mkvi Kharthoums will fit..and how they would look.

Those BBS 17s are nice. Only about $400 more than bs crappy wheels too ...hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah, I'm quite pleased with the BBS. They were a little money and are heavy but they are unlikely to get bent or crack easily unlike some of the more budget wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,113 Posts
BBS is a little too pricey for my winter setup :), prefer to have future BBS for Summer setup instead.
Yeah - I went with 17inch BBS SR for my summer wheels - but with the machined face. I think the machined face makes them look bigger than they are.

For winter I went with Borbet LV5 - cheaper than the BBS (though the SRs are pretty reasonable for BBS). But I think the LV5 has been discontinued. You should be able to find some ASAs or something closer to $100/wheel though.

And it is nice to be able to use the same bolts summer and winter - and only keep five factory bolts for the spare.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah - I went with 17inch BBS SR for my summer wheels - but with the machined face. I think the machined face makes them look bigger than they are.

For winter I went with Borbet LV5 - cheaper than the BBS (though the SRs are pretty reasonable for BBS). But I think the LV5 has been discontinued. You should be able to find some ASAs or something closer to $100/wheel though.

And it is nice to be able to use the same bolts summer and winter - and only keep five factory bolts for the spare.
Yes the bolts are a major factor to make my life easy. Will check the ASA wheels, close to 100$ would be nice.

Anyone knows if snow will get less stuck with 5 spoke wheels? Or it doesn't matter.
Last winter, snow got easily stuck and had to remove it each time before driving, but this was on my Subaru with multi spoke wheels.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yes the bolts are a major factor to make my life easy. Will check the ASA wheels, close to 100$ would be nice.

Anyone knows if snow will get less stuck with 5 spoke wheels? Or it doesn't matter.
Last winter, snow got easily stuck and had to remove it each time before driving, but this was on my Subaru with multi spoke wheels.
If you go sideways through a bunch of snow I think it's going to get stuck in there no matter what your wheels look like. I had steelies for the last 10 yrs and they have small openings and I still got snow stuck in there, with a five spoke at least you can reach in there and poke it out more easily.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts