VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after about 10 seconds runing the wipers, driver wiper will end up off the windsheild over the side mirror. is this something common? does the post or the wiper arm get worn out preventing it from compressing? where can I get spare parts?

·
Registered
39,340 Posts
Re: wiper arm slipping (Stroked1.8t)

The shaft that the arm bolts to OR the arm itself is stripped. Take the arm off and see which one it is.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Re: wiper arm slipping (VegasJetta)

Quote, originally posted by VegasJetta »
The shaft that the arm bolts to OR the arm itself is stripped. Take the arm off and see which one it is.

Even from the road you manage to spew out knowledge http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Yeah, I said spew.

·
Registered
2013 Golf R, 2013 X5 35D, 1997 E320
21,191 Posts
Re: wiper arm slipping (VegasJetta)

Quote, originally posted by VegasJetta »
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Had it happen to me once. And just an FYI they changed wiper arm shaft sizes between 89 and 90. I had to swap the hole wiper assy. from my '90 parts car into my 89 gti because they wouldn't work.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Re: wiper arm slipping (skidplate)

just tighten the bolt more, the shaft is tapered. if you run out of threads, throw a washer under the bolt.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: wiper arm slipping (freeze plug)

Quote, originally posted by freeze plug »
two words:
tin foil

don't have any tin, I will try aluminum foil

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

same thing happens on my driver's side wiper, and it sucks. I've tried several quick fixes (tightening the bolt, wrapping the threads in various types of tape that I may have had available) but it always inevitably reverts to flopping over on to my mirror. Really, really sucks when you're driving down the highway in a storm. Usually means reaching around and trying to throw the wiper back down into it's normal position, which lasts about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Stroked1.8t »

don't have any tin, I will try aluminum foil

whatever floats your boat!
hey it really works, ive used it a bunch of times in this application

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Quote, originally posted by freeze plug »

whatever floats your boat!
hey it really works, ive used it a bunch of times in this application

how long does it last before the movement of the wiper arm starts shredding the foil? I may try this

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I put 3 layers of foil and it holds very tight, thanks for the help.
Dealer want $56 for the driver side post, outrageous!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

this made my day. That f***n wiper was one of the things I hated most about my car when last I owned it. Now that I own it again, it's good to know at least one thing will cost nothing to fix. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: wiper arm slipping (brobs is back)

The aluminum foil fix doesn't like 140 mph wind

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not to revive a dead thread but i thought it' be best to ask here:

What are the differences between the 89 arms and later versions? I just bought some replacements but they don't have the splines in them to mate to my 91. Did I get the wrong ones?

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Difference is 2mm. Where early cars had 6mm threaded post (some with driver side spoiler) and later has 8mm threaded posts.

Golf change over to 8mm was later than the Jetta.

·
Registered
21,566 Posts
There were never any splines in the wiper arms.
The Splines have always been on the the shafts that protrude out of the valance.

One of the things that happen is that from back and forth motion of the wiper on the window glass micro scrapings of the aluminum wiper arm fill the splines on the shaft and then the wiper arm will start slipping on the shaft.

So you need to make it a yearly things or at least when you change your blades or when it happens, to take the Arm off the shaft.
Clean the splines with a wire brush, I usually take a piece of cardboard and poke a hole in it to protect the paint, and clean the shaft.
I then replace the arm position it, install the cupped washer and nut, then I tighten the nut to hold the arm in position....

I don't think I ever changed the arms on my 81Diesel in 20 years of ownership, I just occasionally cleaned them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts