VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the wipers are in the down position they're tight against the windshield, but when they wipe the middle section loses contact. I bent the wiper arm down a bit to try to help but it's not enough. As far as I can tell the wiper arms themselves are fine. I could just replace the whole wiper assembly but I'd rather not if there's a simpler fix.

·
Registered
2020 Passat R Line Tourmaline Blue / 2018 Passat R Line White
257 Posts
If thats the case Im wondering if you wiper itself is damaged and not a nice curve or the "built in spring" of the wipers is not working...Try new wiper blades would be my first and cheapest bet/ try.

Good luck.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bent the wiper arm down a bit
I tend to think that makes it worse. I don't really understand why people have such issues with the wipers on Corrados. The last two places I've lived both had tons or rain and snow, and the OE wipers have done an adequate job. So I wonder if people are modifying the wiper arms thinking it will makes things better, when in fact it makes things worse. While not perfect, I've never found a good reason to complain about the wipers on my 2 Corrados. Could it be as simple as the spring losing tension over time?

·
Registered
16,560 Posts
Age old corrado problem several solutions exist.

Original solution was to lift the wiper arms up, dremal the stops on the wiper arm assembly so the arm can apply more force on the wiper blade. Careful to much grinding and too much Force will be applied to the blade.

2nd option buy Polo wiper arms, Google it

3rd option buy Audi TT it’s either two ps or two da arms. I posted a few months back but can’t recall which side. Google it

Bonrath single wiper arm conversion.

Do nothing an use RainX

The RainX solution works so well that I’ve removed the wiper motor assembly after running without the wiper arms for 4 years. Blip the throttle and the rain rolls off at slower speeds in town.

·
Registered
Orig owner 90 g60, 02 allroad 6SP M w/ 3rd Row, 07 3X White NB Vert, 09 Escalade ESV Plat to tow em
7,953 Posts

I’ll park this link here because it shows how to change the parked position of the wiper motor. If you do change to a Bonrath or Roco mono wiper you’ll need this not have your wiper parked in the center of your windshield when they’re turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Yea rain-x works good but it seems to wear out quickly. I ended up doing the Dremel mod and also bending the wiper arms. This helped a lot. The TT wiper arm swap is probably the better solution.
Yea, agreed. I have done both a few times, but in the end Rain Ex works the best. Maybe some day I will try the Polo or TT...

Either that or fully commit and remove the wipers and keep rain ex more of a regiment :) Nothing like a good Florida downpour in the summer time lol

·
Registered
1990 Corrado G60
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea rain-x works good but it seems to wear out quickly. I ended up doing the Dremel mod and also bending the wiper arms. This helped a lot. The TT wiper arm swap is probably the better solution.

Here's the DIY for the Audi TT wiper conversion Audi TT Wiper Arm Retrofit
I don't know how I missed that. It's so nice to have a guide that still has pictures.

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Bending your wiper arms does nothing to increase the blades contact pressure on the windshield. And it looks horrible. Worst of all at some point it must have become such common practice that the Corrado they used as a model for the Forza racing games has bent wipers.

Straighten those OEM arms, grind down the stops, and run bosch aero blades.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Bending your wiper arms does nothing to increase the blades contact pressure on the windshield. And it looks horrible. Worst of all at some point it must have become such common practice that the Corrado they used as a model for the Forza racing games has bent wipers.

Straighten those OEM arms, grind down the stops, and run bosch aero blades.
I tried Anco aero blades a few years ago. They were terrible. Perhaps this was due to installing them on slightly bent wiper arms.

After getting tired of constantly replacing the Bosch 19" wiper refills I tried the Valeo 800 series 19" wiper blades. These are much improved and last a lot longer than the Bosch refills.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts