VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-Line Black Deep Black Pearl
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and can't find an answer to my specific problem. I have a 2022 Tiguan SE R-line Black for the last couple months. When I first got the vehicle and set everything up the Android Auto worked wirelessly without any problems, about a month into owning it I did the trial subscription for the wi-fi hotspot. It worked well for a while then I realized the trial was only good for 1gb of data and I went through that quickly since I stream music from Pandora and use the maps for traffic data on my long drives to work. After I reached that 1gb it was always saying the maps and streaming music were in offline mode. The wi-fi trial was through Verizon and my cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 that uses AT&T FirstNet for service.

I called VW in the car and they said they couldn't help but gave my some type id number to give to Verizon. They connected me to an operator there and Verizon said they have no record associated with the id number I gave them. At this point I was getting the feeling that I would have to do a factory reset on the head unit. I uninstalled the CarNet and Android Auto apps from my phone then did the factory reset to the head unit. Started going back thru and doing all the set up used the QR code method and the start up wizard everything seemed to go back to previous working order. Tried to start up Android Auto and was told the phone had to be connected via the usb to set it up. I did that and went thru the process and now can only use it while its connected via usb. I have the wi-fi turned off in the head unit and when I turn it back on it still will not let me use anything wirelessly. When I disconnect from the usb my phone shows a bar that says its searching for Android auto and quickly drains the phones battery. I shut off the wifi again and still get the same results.

Is there something I am doing wrong or do I need to take it to the dealer and have them look at it? Any help is appreciated!! This is one of the more technologically advanced VW's that I have ever owned and it's very frustrating to try and figure it all out but I love this car and is probably my favorite one I have owned so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
disclaimer: not a tiguan driver, but golf 8, should still be the same mib3 multimedia
First: Wireless AA works via wifi, the head unit and the phone have to be on the same wifi network, but it does not really matter which device hosts the network. Wifi has to be on in the car, but the car does not have to be the hotspot. The car does not have data either, so at least for WAA Verizon is not part of the problem.
Initially (before you activated hotspot in the car) it seems that the car was automatically connecting to the phone. The phone was the hotspot, sharing its mobile data with the car. When you enabled hotspot in the car, the phone was the one connecting to the car and thus using up the limited data it had. If the car is the hotspot, the phone will not switch over back to its mobile data (samsungs can, but it's not the default setting in the phone), so everything was stuck offline. Thats probably the the issue you had initially.

Now, for the current problem. You mentioned the phone says its searching for WAA after you disconnect the cable. This means the car did tell the phone it has WAA available. If you had car's wifi off or WAA was somehow disabled this should not happen. Something is borked or just VW software...

I would suggest playing with the following:
  • try to navigate to wireless AA setup in the car when no phone is connected. It just shows a few instructions, but it will warn if the car's settings like wifi are set up wrong. (from menus go AppConnect -> Android auto)
  • make sure car's wifi is on and hotspot mode is disabled. 'Allow sharing e-sim data' or similar should be a switch in the car's menus you can toggle off.
  • delete the car's wifi network from the phone and do not connect to it again. Let the magic of Android Auto setup figure it out.
  • try turning on the hotspot in the phone and connect the car's wifi to it before doing AA setup.

If that does not help and you do not mind the hassle, you can try to factory reset the car again but switch off ignition once the reset is done and leave the car for at least an hour. The WAA is not actually in the multimedia, its in the OCU (online communications unit) which stays on for a long time after ignition is off. Maybe rebooting it after factory reset would help before trying to pair the phone.

If it still does not work, you will likely have to take it to a dealer. The software in these newer VAG cars is horrendously buggy (all of them), it is fairly possible the factory reset left something half-stuck somewhere.

In normal situations, connecting the phone via cable is enough to do all the setup. The car exchanges info about bluetooth, wifi and so on during this process. Make sure the car's wifi is on during the initial pairing!

·
Registered
2022 Tiguan SE R-Line Black Deep Black Pearl
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
disclaimer: not a tiguan driver, but golf 8, should still be the same mib3 multimedia
First: Wireless AA works via wifi, the head unit and the phone have to be on the same wifi network, but it does not really matter which device hosts the network. Wifi has to be on in the car, but the car does not have to be the hotspot. The car does not have data either, so at least for WAA Verizon is not part of the problem.
Initially (before you activated hotspot in the car) it seems that the car was automatically connecting to the phone. The phone was the hotspot, sharing its mobile data with the car. When you enabled hotspot in the car, the phone was the one connecting to the car and thus using up the limited data it had. If the car is the hotspot, the phone will not switch over back to its mobile data (samsungs can, but it's not the default setting in the phone), so everything was stuck offline. Thats probably the the issue you had initially.

Now, for the current problem. You mentioned the phone says its searching for WAA after you disconnect the cable. This means the car did tell the phone it has WAA available. If you had car's wifi off or WAA was somehow disabled this should not happen. Something is borked or just VW software...

I would suggest playing with the following:
  • try to navigate to wireless AA setup in the car when no phone is connected. It just shows a few instructions, but it will warn if the car's settings like wifi are set up wrong. (from menus go AppConnect -> Android auto)
  • make sure car's wifi is on and hotspot mode is disabled. 'Allow sharing e-sim data' or similar should be a switch in the car's menus you can toggle off.
  • delete the car's wifi network from the phone and do not connect to it again. Let the magic of Android Auto setup figure it out.
  • try turning on the hotspot in the phone and connect the car's wifi to it before doing AA setup.

If that does not help and you do not mind the hassle, you can try to factory reset the car again but switch off ignition once the reset is done and leave the car for at least an hour. The WAA is not actually in the multimedia, its in the OCU (online communications unit) which stays on for a long time after ignition is off. Maybe rebooting it after factory reset would help before trying to pair the phone.

If it still does not work, you will likely have to take it to a dealer. The software in these newer VAG cars is horrendously buggy (all of them), it is fairly possible the factory reset left something half-stuck somewhere.

In normal situations, connecting the phone via cable is enough to do all the setup. The car exchanges info about bluetooth, wifi and so on during this process. Make sure the car's wifi is on during the initial pairing!
Tried everything you said and still no luck. Made an appointtment with the dealer for next Monday to have them look at it. Thanks again for the insight!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts