VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have crazy wiring problem. Well, it's not a problem per se, but more of an oddity. I was wondering if this worked for other people too. What I did: with the car off and no keys in the ignition, I flipped the headlight switch all the way on. Then I turned on the high beams, like I was flashing someone to go. Then I happened to notice that my wipers worked. I was installing my headlight switch and I happened to hit the high beam switch while the wiper stalk was up. It's the craziest thing I've seen and the fact that you have to do so many specific things makes me think that I didn't cause this. Does this work for anyone else?

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Wiring... again (Coupe_88)

But what do the headlights, high beams, and wipers have to do with each other? And why dosen't the washer work in this state?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Re: Wiring... again (VDub2625)

hahaha, thats so weird... i have a wiring problem too... i am redoing all the wiring in my car and i just put a new feul pump and ignition coil.. i still have to hook up my headlights, but i tried flipping the headlight switch and my feul pump starts running.. hmmm
bump, somebody must know whats up.
im gonna go try to figure it out right now.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Re: Wiring... again (reeo)

i just found that out too on my 91 GTI. i can have the keys in but in the off position and hold the high beam switch on, and my stereo turns on. i don't know why the hell that happens... wonder if that'll ever come in handy...

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Wiring... again (freezermink)

Yep, this comes up every now and again. Pulling and holding the high-beam stalk supplies accessory power. It's intentional, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: Wiring... again (negativl)

I havent looked at the Bently "grounds" diagram - but Im sure thats what is happening..
The high flash (probably due to DOT rules) has to work w/ the car off
But the high also has to work with the car on
When the car is on, the 12v trigger by the highs matches the 12v supplied by the ign stuff so no current flows through that path and thus no "weirdness" occurs.
But when the car is off, the 12v pulled through the high beam switch presents a 12v (or probalby like 8v) at the "ground" side of the DC circuit to a number of devices that share that ground wire. Devices that will work with the polarity reversed (lights) will work. Stuff on relays will appear to work as the relay gets tripped thus supplying current capability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts