VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

This is going to be a really simple question for most of you, but schematics are greek to me, and while I think I have a grip on what needs to be done, I just want to run it past the cabby experts before my car erupts in blue smoke.

I make a junkyard run today and grabbed an entire CC system including the stock wire harness. I had to cut the red/black wire on the harness at the fuse box.

Right now I have a connector that has a red/black wire and a blue/red wire and I'm not sure entirely what to do with them, or if I need to even tie it in to the load reduction relay.

Based on my interpretation of the schematic, I need to tie the red/black wire to positive (preferably on the back of the load reduction relay) but I'm not sure what to do with the blue/red wire. Since the harness is already grounded, I'm pretty sure it's not another ground.

Also, just wondering - it's looking like there aren't pre-drilled holes for the cruise control vacuum pump, does this sound right? Everything else was already there which I find odd.

I'm looking at this diagram posted by Black_Cabbie a long time ago:

Here is a picture of the connector before I stupidly disconnected it without fully understanding where it went:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Briano - thanks for your response and schematic.

If I understand correctly, I need to wire this connection this way:
Red/Black: Terminal C1 on the back of the relay box (which is power only when the ignition is on)
Blue/Red: A black, one wire connector floating in the back of the relay box that goes to the starter cut out (relay?) (This only gets power when the key is on and the car isn't cranking)

I will be going back to the junkyard tomorrow for some metal clips that I forgot, I'll pull apart the relay box a bit more on the junkyard car to help figure this out as well. Am I allowed to use the wire splice things in the back of the relay box - is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,243 Posts
FV-QR

Did you get pedal switches/cut out valves from the junkyard donor and does your car have mounting holes for them?

Did you pull the junkyard car instrument cluster and get the speed sensor and mounting screws? Does it have two wires?

Pump/valve assembly mounts to an add on bracket on A1s, did you get that bracket? In OE mounted configuration, the pump mounting is rubber isolated. If you mount without isolation, expect to hear and feel the pump's vibrations throughout the car every time it runs, very annoying.

Is the target car auto or stick?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did you get pedal switches/cut out valves from the junkyard donor and does your car have mounting holes for them?

Luckily my car had the mounting holes. I just didn't grab the clips that the sensors grab on so they just float which is why I have to go back.

Did you pull the junkyard car instrument cluster and get the speed sensor and mounting screws? Does it have two wires?

Yessir :) Popped right into my cluster. Also fixed my gas guage in the process. Helps when the guage is actually connected :banghead:

Pump/valve assembly mounts to an add on bracket on A1s, did you get that bracket? In OE mounted configuration, the pump mounting is rubber isolated. If you mount without isolation, expect to hear and feel the pump's vibrations throughout the car every time it runs, very annoying.

I did and I saw the isolation as well. Is the rubber on the bracket sufficient or is there more rubber at the firewall?

Is the target car auto or stick?

Stick and the donor was too (luckily).

The CC is almost completely installed and wired up at the moment all I need to do is drill the holes for the mount, pop in the vacuum switches and wire this last connector.

I must say this was a fun little project. I have a new found appreciation for the simplicity of this design, it's quite nifty.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it all wired up today and it works! w00t!

The only place where I strayed from the schematic that briano posted was where I hooked up the black lead. I just went ahead and hooked it up where it was on the donar car ('89 stickshift) which was on the (I think) idle stabalization relay. I didn't have the relay referenced in the schematic because I think it was for an Automatic instead.

Big thanks also to tolusiana for his CC troubleshooting page, helped me determine that the first cruise control module I had bought was toast :beer:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.