VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I attack the heater core with great prejudice. After many calls between dealers and VoA, and not having the coin to pay someone else to do it, I'll be getting acquainted with my car in ways that I never thought I could. I ran through 3 "advocates" and one supervisor, two service managers and one sales manager, all to no avail. "Sorry, there's nothing we can do." Fine. Bastids.
So, the core itself cost me $55, and I'll replace the thermostat while the system is mostly empty. Not bad I guess, it'll just take time.
Being a body and paint guy, I'm more tempted to cut a hole in the firewall and yank it from the engine compartment. (But then there's probably something else in the way that can only be removed form the other side and I'll be screwed.) We can get a new piece of metal and screw it on and use auto body adhesives to hold it in place. A little bondo, a little paint, it'll be fine.
Once the heat shield is replaced, you won't see half of it, but, much like Tim Allen, my wife has a thing against me taking a lot of power tools to anything.
Oh well, it's only time.

[Modified by Ron L, 8:19 AM 4-6-2002]

· Registered
3,621 Posts
Re: Wish me luck. I'm going in. (Ron L)

You gotta argue with VWoA and a local dealer to get it done. They originally told me they weren't gonna due mine either. Just yesterday,(a month after this all began) the service manager told me they would replace it under the recall.
My main argument was that I was driving when it started leaking all over my feet and fogging up my windows, ie very dangerous accident potential. Also that same system was recalled from all the Corrados, no matter what year from what I was told. So when the dealer told me that my year was not covered, I went to VWoA and raised enough stink to get them to give me a case number.
The problem was getting the dealer to find the local rep on that item, after many attempts they finally just called VWoA and gave them my case number.
Hope this helps some, don't give up unless your already into it!

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Wish me luck. I'm going in. (Wrenhaven)

DONE!!!!!!!!
I started around 12:30 when I got back from teaching a class at church, had to make a parts run, grab a bite to eat and right now, ar around 8:00, it's pretty much wrapped up. My brother came by to help too (thanx bro!) I have a couple of oddball trim pieces to put back on but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
Let me say this, the Bentley SUX for this repair. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif There is NO information or detail on how to get the actual heat exchanger box off the firewall, and the manual says to discharge the AC and remove the evaporator core/box. It's NOT necessary to remove the AC to get the heat box off. They don't tell you where all those DAMN clips are. It's also not necessary to drill out the steering column bolts. Removing the wheel and switch gear is sufficient. We also didn't completely remove the dash, we kept the umbilicals attached to the fusebox. The manual isn't bad as far as the actual dash removal, but you can save a lot of time and effort if you employ a little mechanical know how and forethought.
The only thing left for tomorrow is to replace the thermostat and refill the fluids.
Wren, don't think I didn't feel that I exhausted all possibility of having VW cover this. After 9 phone calls to 6 different people all sounding like corporate clones over the past 2 weeks, listening to the same old response, I wasn't getting anywhere. And yes, I told them the wife and kid were in the car, hot steam and antifreeze all over the car, unable to see, very dangerous situation, blah, blah, blah. I simply couldn't wait to get the car on the road again. Which is probably one of their tactics of not having to pay for this through any kind of recall. They drag things out for so long, owners finally throw up their hands in disgust and handle things on their own.

· Registered
3,621 Posts

Ya my car was down for an engine swap anyway, I drove it to my father-in-laws house by pulling the hoses out of the firewall and splicing them together.
Well good job getting it done so fast! sorry no luck with VWoA.

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Wish me luck. I'm going in. (Wrenhaven)

Thanks. When I get a chance, I'll write up how we did it. Some of it followed the Bentley, some followed other posts, and some we had to figure out for ourselves. I was surprised that a few others who did it for themselves went through extra work that really wasn't necessary.
Good luck when you finally do yours.

· Registered
70 Posts

WOW!! I'm impressed, Ron!!
Too much of a job for me to do, so I had a trusted independent VW shop do my heater core to the tune of $525.00
I'm glad to read of your success...and you're right, the Bentley SUX !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.