VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, today I was trying to connect a air/fuel gauge, and gess what? The O2 sensor is unpluged, but my cabby starts and runs fine. Is it possible? what kind of problems can this bring to the car later? Maybe you should know some things first in order to help me better. The previous owner swaped the Jetronic to digifant 2; then i had to swap the complete engine head, because he left the head that works with the other system and the car wasn't feeling right (specially in lows RPM's).
Other thing, here, in Dominican Republic, we don't have smog regulations

· Registered
2,696 Posts
Re: Without O2 sensor, is it possible? (topless bunny)

If you car is Digi2 and the O2 sensor is unplugged, then it is running in "Limp Home Mode" where the ECU runs a preprogrammed fuel map that is very rich. When running in this mode the engine may seem like it is running GREAT! Don't be fooled, it isn't!
If you run in this mode for long, you can burn out the catalytic converter, but since you are in the DR, you probably don't have one. but it will cause bad gas milage because it's not regulating the fuel mixture properly. I'd fix that pronto!!

I'm curious to see why you had to switch the heads, I doubt it was because it was the wrong head (the CIS and Digi heads are the same head, the only difference is that they use different injector cups that can easily be changed over...) I'm wondering if running without the O2 sensor caused a head to burn some valves... (of course the 02 coudl have been unplugged when the head was done...)
Hope this helps

· Registered
2,560 Posts
Re: Without O2 sensor, is it possible? (topless bunny)

no regulations?
i remember when i went down to DR.. i rode on one of your fine "Harleys" as they used to call them. (donkey) lol
shortly after that we went atv riding.. real fun
you can drive at 12 no?
the o2 sensor dosnt realy work till the car warms up
drive it around and its gonna go into limp mode

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Without O2 sensor, is it possible? (ensone)

Quote, originally posted by ensone »
I'm curious to see why you had to switch the heads, I doubt it was because it was the wrong head (the CIS and Digi heads are the same head, the only difference is that they use different injector cups that can easily be changed over...) I'm wondering if running without the O2 sensor caused a head to burn some valves... (of course the 02 coudl have been unplugged when the head was done...)

Yeah, it was because the injector's cup are different, and i couldn't find them here, so i was going to look for them online, but somebody told me that the digi head has more lift on the cam than the CIS and i belived him
, and for US$70 I found the complete head. Lesson learned, ask you guys before buying

Quote, originally posted by ensone »
no regulations?
i remember when i went down to DR.. i rode on one of your fine "Harleys" as they used to call them. (donkey) lol
shortly after that we went atv riding.. real fun
you can drive at 12 no?

I didn't know about calling ''Harleys'' to the dunkeys, but hey, the people here are very funny. Next time you come here, send me an email, i ride Enduro and ATV.
Oh, what do you mean about ''you can drive at 12 no?''

· Registered
2,560 Posts
Re: Without O2 sensor, is it possible? (Black_cabbie)

i remember the a/f gauge you had.. real cool
there was a show a long time ago.. i think the dude drove a firebird but im not sure.. and the car talked to him.. that car also had the blue light on the front lip/grill (whatever)
reminded me of that..
watch.. now that i said that someones gonna tell someone and next thing you know someone makes a big a/f gauge and sticks it behind their grill
i think the name of the show was night rider
Q: back when i was running my 8v i remember having the same o2 sensor wire setup as now. 2 wires for heat and 2 for signal
the o2 itself had 3 wires.. the plug it went to had 4
i learned that 1 of the wires is signal ground for the coaxial cable...
but i never understood why that signal ground didnt go to a 4 wire o2 sensor
for some reason i always thought the 4 wire was "better"
but i stuck with the 3

Quote »
I didn't know about calling ''Harleys'' to the dunkeys, but hey, the people here are very funny. Next time you come here, send me an email, i ride Enduro and ATV.
Oh, what do you mean about ''you can drive at 12 no?''

the tour guide stuck on that story like glue.. "i remember my old Harley".. i now realize he was crazy.. but anyway.. DR is the spot.. best summer ever.. and i've been alotttt of places.. Egypt was hot 2
what age can you start driving and/or drinking in DR

Modified by ensone at 10:34 AM 9-11-2005

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.