VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I do a lot of hiking in Maine all summer and ski all winter. Your idea sounds good but I'm not driving down for 15 hours to go hiking when I'm arriving Thurs night and leaving Sunday. That leaves only 2 days to drive the dragon and hang out with old and new friends. Hope you don't have to do this alone. If so, look out for the hungry bears coming out of hiberation. haha!
Very valid points. I'll be going for a week. I believe is the current plan.

I've been going for a few years now. And I've had enough down time in past years - to have hiked, I just wasn't in-shape enough to even dare.
I hope to start training for tri's in the next few years and eventually, Road Bike the area. Super insane dangerous, yes, I know. But that's okay with me. But I don't want to threadjack too much. So, just pm me, if you'd like to go back and forth a little more. Thanks!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Hola gang,

1 week left to register for anything ... RBQ, the event.. etc.. after that we close shop.

RBQ TICKET

1 week left to pick up a shirt.

SHIRT

Please bring your RBQ ticket or mobile device with you so we can easily check people in.

SEE YOU IN APRIL

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I'm late to the party but I just saw this, assuming I found a place to stay, would it be worth coming down without being able to get one of these tickets, or are the tickets for the main gathering?
Multiple time Dragon vet, but never been to a car gathering down there.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm late to the party but I just saw this, assuming I found a place to stay, would it be worth coming down without being able to get one of these tickets, or are the tickets for the main gathering?
VW + Past Dragon Drives + April WITW = VW Driver Nirvana :laugh: :beer: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
come on down. the tickets are only for the dinner, if there is room/food we will get you sorted. the rest of the time spent there is pretty open and you will have a blast. :peace:

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info. I used to go down there on my bike all the time, been wanting to take my girls down there to see everything.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I was late booking at Fontana but Im staying at the Deals Gap Motor Cycle resort.Its on the list of places to stay from the WITW page.I sorted through them all and that seemed like the best choice for distance.Its right on The Dragon and 15 minutes to Fontana

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I was late booking at Fontana but Im staying at the Deals Gap Motor Cycle resort.Its on the list of places to stay from the WITW page.I sorted through them all and that seemed like the best choice for distance.Its right on The Dragon and 15 minutes to Fontana
its nutty that people have to stay elsewhere. you are super close.

event has grown too huge :heart:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I just rented a lake house on Fontana. Fantastic house and view, only 11 miles from Fontana, much more secluded than staying at the village.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The APR guys a couple of years ago had the coolest stickers. Just a red or black line that sort of traced the route of the Dragon with a couple of loops thrown in for fun.

It would go on either the window or the front of your hood.

I wish they'd printed enough to sell but they only had them on their cars.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The APR guys a couple of years ago had the coolest stickers. Just a red or black line that sort of traced the route of the Dragon with a couple of loops thrown in for fun.

I remember those very cool!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

With all the sponsors listed on the header, there has to be one with a creative department capable of designing and producing an outstanding event sticker to promote the WITW '16 and and their company. :thumbup:

There may even be more than one creative sponsor, considering this the premier East Coast event for dedicated VW's promoting with event stickers is a no-brainer.
I guess we will have to see what the sponsors can produce for an enthusiast audience. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I just rented a lake house on Fontana. Fantastic house and view, only 11 miles from Fontana, much more secluded than staying at the village.
IMHO something like 60-70% of the fun comes from hanging around the fire pits at night, which you can't do if you're at your own secluded house. ;)

Well, I suppose you could, but then you can't partake in any of the interesting libations, and you have to drive yourself back to that house in the middle of the night and risk slamming into a goddamn deer.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts