VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the 0-60 and the quarter mile times
are for the Stock Golf 4 door TDI... How do they run on
the highway (fast highway like 75mph) merging and passing ect....

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Re: wondering about the TDI.... (DubbingN'SweetLuvin)

No problems keeping up with highway traffic at all. At highway speed, the engine is right at the speed where it likes to run ... no downshifting needed, just mat it.
Most people who drive TDI don't care about quarter mile time. (I certainly don't.) It gets the job done quite nicely, and that's good enough. These are not meant to be race cars, they are meant to be very good daily-driver cars, and they ARE very good daily-driver cars.

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: wondering about the TDI.... (mjd)

0-60 & acceleration times are similar to the 2.0L, but because of the torque of the TDI, passing is a lot better than the 2.0L. I have no problems passing people on my TDI, rarely I need to downshift.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: wondering about the TDI.... (GoFaster)

EXACTLY! .. TDI's are daily drivers .. but they still have LOTSA power - i pass people all the time - & most people are very surprised after they saw the car driving - that it is a TDI - VW I LOVE me lil Jetta .. its fast - its quick - it gets good gas milage (as long as you drive around 60-70mph) - & it looks good !!!

·
Registered
507 Posts

what about the reliability of the Golf IV TDI engines. Do you they burn any oil and do parts go fast and how is the maintenance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: wondering about the TDI.... (spongebob_squarepants)

quote:[HR][/HR]TDIs are awesome!
[HR][/HR]​
SURE ARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

And hey... If it still seems too slow to you, chip it! Upsolute makes a chip for the TDI...
I drive a '02 1.8T and just recently drove a TDI New Beetle (not chipped). The TDI seemed really slow compared to the 1.8T AWP, but there was plenty of power to drive around and be on the highway.
Find a dealership that has one and go for a test drive!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: wondering about the TDI.... (agarc)

yeah thats the thing, there arnt many tdi(s) on long island, but i had a 2.0 mkIII so im guessing "slow" would be the same as my old car, so i wouldnt be missing anything, if anything i should be slightly better then my old car....

·
Registered
34,109 Posts

going from a standstill acceleration, and trying to rev the hell out of the TDI motor, is pointless.
I may have to take you for a ride one of these days I'm available

·
Registered
11,738 Posts
Re: wondering about the TDI.... (freestyle)

Reliability? Not too many issues. Certainly not oil consumption (that's a 2.0 problem which doesn't aftect the TDI).
MAF sensor is a problem on all Mk4 VW's, not just TDI, so it doesn't matter which engine you have from that point of view.
Timing belt has to be changed every 120,000 km / 80,000 miles, the change interval is not much diferent from anything else out there that has a timing belt, and the job is every bit as miserable on a TDI as it is on any other Mk4 with ANY 4-cylinder engine gas or diesel.
Fuel filter has to be changed periodically, and it costs a few bucks, but it's easy to do yourself. (5 minute job.) On the plus side, NO oxygen sensors, NO sparkplugs, NO ignition coil packs or plug wires. EGR sometimes makes the intake manifolds clog up but it's easily preventable. And you have http://www.tdiclub.com as a resource.
I'm at 248,000 km and have had zero engine related issues.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Re: wondering about the TDI.... (agarc)

quote:[HR][/HR]And hey... If it still seems too slow to you, chip it! Upsolute makes a chip for the TDI...
I drive a '02 1.8T and just recently drove a TDI New Beetle (not chipped). The TDI seemed really slow compared to the 1.8T AWP, but there was plenty of power to drive around and be on the highway.
Find a dealership that has one and go for a test drive![HR][/HR]​
I second the test drive thing... but if you really want a good comparison, find a chipped car. My UPsolute chipped TDI feels faster, than any 1.8T I've driven or raced. They don't launch quite as quick (gassers tend to respond quicker than diesels, for obvious reasons), but once you're going they accelerate quicker (in my experience).

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]yeah thats the thing, there arnt many tdi(s) on long island, but i had a 2.0 mkIII so im guessing "slow" would be the same as my old car, so i wouldnt be missing anything, if anything i should be slightly better thn my old car....[HR][/HR]​
First things first. It's MUCH quicker & peppier than the 2.0. My last car was a 2.slow I dont miss it at all.
Second, whatever you do, DONT test drive the 1.8T. That's where I made my mistake. I had money down & was waiting to sign off on a TDI. There was about 45 minutes before the financer would be ready for me, so I asked my salesperson if I could test drive the 1.8t. Needless to say I ended up spending about $4,000 more that night & drove off in a car that looked a lot more red than the Mojave Beige

I've ridden in a chipped TDI, VERY nice. Plus I wouldn't mind getting 50 MPG. But when it came down to it. I'm doing well for myself & I'm only 24 so I went with the 1.8T

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Re: wondering about the TDI.... (DoctorKB)

I've heard nothing but good things about tdis.. I recommend them to all my friends.. even before the 1.8t or vr6

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Also, if you get the TDI, I have an OEM red DI badge that you can use... (I used the red T for my 1.8T badge)...
Then you could have: TDI

[Modified by agarc, 3:08 PM 4-10-2002]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts