1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the Jr High style question. I am about to modify
my 85 cabby with the basics K & N filter, Ggrind cam, 4k Audi
manifold, down pipe and a large bore air intake also maybe a
mk2 throttle body. What kinda improvement can I look for in preformance?
I am not expecting a race car and know preformance will vary. I am
just wondering on the ballpark expectations. Thanks...!

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Re: Wondering what it will do.....? (GTIOU)

There is no "maybe an a2 throttle body".. You ARE doing a larger throttle body...
LOL I got an audi 5k TB at a junkyard for 25 bucks. The one on my first rabbit was off an a2, and was free from a friend. So do it, is worth it with the mods you are already doing. Your car will pull nice, and have more power on the freeway, too. It will be as fast as you can get NA in an 8V, until you put a 2L block under that head, and port and polish.. it will last a few years until you get bored with it. Some of us are power hungry... (well, and broke, there for just a 2L for now) Todd

·
Registered
12,061 Posts

i just did the throttle body and manifold/downpipe/TT exhaust on my 84 GTI and I definitely feel the difference. just with those simple mods the car is a lot more fun to drive. a G-grind is next for me....I step up as the performance increase grows old on me each time. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by salvaterra at 10:12 PM 5-13-2003

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Re: Wondering what it will do.....? (salvaterra)

with those mods it will pull a bit harder out of the whole, but with the G-grind, it will keep pulling past 45000, up to about 6500. Very nice way to start out, not to much $$$ if ya decide to go 16v (like me
)

·
Registered
953 Posts

Should have the jh motor w/solid lifters. Check the engine code stamped on the front of block, just under number 3 spark plug. Depending how clean your engine is, you may have to wipe the dirt/oil off in order to see it. My 85 was supposed to have the jh motor, but the p.o. swapped it for an rv motor (hydraulic). Found that out when I tried to install a g-grind. Never assume, I should have checked. You'll definately feel a difference with those mods. I would also go with an aftermarket catback exhaust like tt or something to get the full effect. Good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by 85vert at 7:59 PM 5-14-2003

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Wondering what it will do.....? (85vert)

What should I look for on the block indicating solid from hydrolic

I just want something to blowout the puds on my street with their little Honda's
and bazooka mufflers hanging out the back.
I miss my 5.0

·
Registered
953 Posts

Not sure how to identify solid or hydraulic by checking numbers on the block. Best bet is to remove the valve cover and look. Solids have 5 bearing caps and hydros have 4.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Re: Wondering what it will do.....? (85vert)

Solid lifter heads start with the number 26. it is not a part number, but a casting number, I believe. it is on front of head, to the left, just below where the head meets the valve cover. Hydro I think starts with 46... All the solid lifter engines I saw at the junkyard were 26's.. Learned this the other day from an old guy who works on air and watercooled since early 70's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.