VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.0 16v ....
Help me out... after the car has come to operating temps, it wont turn over after i shut it down.
If i bridge the starter solenoid w/ a screwdriver, it turns the motor over fine, and (usually) after i do that, i can start it with the ignition.

I cannot suspect the ignition switch because its ONLY after it has been driven. Anyway, I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.
P.S. once in a great while, turning the key over will reset my MFA

·
Banned
648 Posts
Re: won't turn over when hot...? (cnbrown)

bump for you... mine does something like that, after driving it when hot out, when it shuts off I can't start it again, mine will turn and turn but nothing, and right when I let the key go to starts for a split second that turns off. I let it cool for 10-15 minutes and its fine

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: won't turn over when hot...? (GermanWannaB)

i'm curently trying to get rid of this same problem myself. it seems that the fuel lines are getting vapour locked. if you turn your key on/off a few times it should start, i think its a bad accumulator, or a bad check valve somewhere in the system thats allowing residual fp to escape.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: won't turn over when hot...? (Silver4dr)

Sorry guys, dont think i was clear enough. It doesn't shut itself off, nor will it even turn over...this is an electrical issue of some sort.
As far as vapour lock goes, you sound right on about that. had that prob on my mk1 forever....

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

my 91 16v did the same thing last year. Replacing starter and ignition switch stopped that. If you pour 1 litre if cool water on the starter when it's acting up and it starts after that... it's the starter. I replaced the ignition switch also, which needed it also. Blasted 16v's!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: won't turn over when hot...? (astrodub)

thanx buddy. I still dont understand why bridging the solenoid would turn the motor over if that were an issue...? I just cannot afford a starter
. How much are ignition switches?

·
Registered
7,748 Posts

I had this problem when I first got my car. The dealership installed a relay in the wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid. I'll look this evening or tomorrow if I get a chance and try to sort out exactly where it runs to and from.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
Re: won't turn over when hot...? (1987&2001Jettas)

i had the problem on my Quantum and installed the relay and I have not had starting problems when the car was warm. Have you tried starting your car with the hood open? Before my problem got really bad and would only occur every few months opening the hood and starting would work. When the problem did get worse, I would have to wait at least 10-15 minutes before I would get it to start It might not be the problem on your car though b/c you said you had a 16v and most of the hot soak were on automatic VW's b/c of a poor design
http://www.autohausaz.com/html....html
This site has some info on the problem.
Heres the info from that site
Volkswagen #4: Seems VWs are just prone to hot-soak, won't-start conditions. Volkswagen has recognized that Rabbits, Golfs and Jettas from 1985 on (Bosch reman starters SR33X, SR34X and SR82X) also suffer from a hot-soak condition where battery voltage to the #50 terminal of the starter drops to less than 10 volts under high underhood temperatures, resulting in a car that won't crank.
If a complete check of the car's charging and starting system reveals no other problems, Volkswagen suggests a VW retrofit starter relay (141 951 253B) be installed in line between the T1 connector of the right engine harness and the T1 connector of the starter cable harness, which leads to the terminal #50 of the starter solenoid. Other required components and installation directions are available through your VW dealer.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: won't turn over when hot...? (Aw614)

thanx everyone! I'm gonna throw in a new ignition switch hoping to solve the problem...otherwise, ill let you guys know!

·
Registered
7,748 Posts

Quote, originally posted by cnbrown »
thanx everyone! I'm gonna throw in a new ignition switch hoping to solve the problem...otherwise, ill let you guys know!

You should really do what was mentioned before since this is a common problem:
Quote »
If a complete check of the car's charging and starting system reveals no other problems, Volkswagen suggests a VW retrofit starter relay (141 951 253B) be installed in line between the T1 connector of the right engine harness and the T1 connector of the starter cable harness, which leads to the terminal #50 of the starter solenoid. Other required components and installation directions are available through your VW dealer.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Re: won't turn over when hot...? (1987&2001Jettas)

Quote, originally posted by 1987&2001Jettas »

You should really do what was mentioned before since this is a common problem:

I agree. I had the same problem with a 68 Chevy pickup. Heat soaked starter solenoid. I was bridging it with a screwdriver until I found something similar to what was mentioned. Basically it just pumps more power to the solenoid to get it to turn over when hot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know this thread is ancient and if its ethical to raise it from the dead. But I think my golf has the same issue, she don't crank when hot. I just think its a combination of my ancient battery and the heat soak issue. I'm gonna buy a new battery and perhaps fresh terminals and leads to give the starter max omfff. I suspect the battery as I ran out of fuel yesterday and a friend kindly brought me a can on fuel, I had to take the air filter off and pour in the carb straight to get the fuel through the lines or else i would crank forever, and lo and behold the battery died, ontop of that it was raining and getting dark!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts