VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
18,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have to go to the Woodlawn, MD area next week to work at a federal facility there.

Anything to see or do, avoiding going into DC?

Anything to eat?

EDIT:
Whoops guys! There are two Woodlawn, MD's. The one I'll be in isn't near Baltimore.

I kept looking at the map thinking "Why are they suggesting stuff in Baltimore? Woodlawn is inside the DC 495 beltway" :laugh:

The Woodlawn, MD I'll be in is near College Park.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
I have to go to the Woodlawn, MD area next week to work at a federal facility there.

Anything to see or do, avoiding going into DC?

Anything to eat?
You'll be a lot closer to Baltimore than to DC, no? There's the very touristy Inner Harbor with lot of stuff to do. On Charles Street (north of the Harbor) there's The Brewer's Art, a fantastic brewpub with great food, and a bunch of good Indian food places in that area. Also Iggy's Pizza, which is fantastic.

There's also the Heavy Seas Brewery nearby.

Lots to do, what are you in to?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nope, there's nothing in Woodlawn. (I grew up in Rockville) Go into Baltimore, visit the excellent aquarium. Also, Fort McHenry is quite good.

·
Registered
10,067 Posts
Lexington Market for Seafood? Howl at the Moon at the Power Plant in the harbor area is a fun time. A little expensive, but fun. Lots of restaurants and stuff.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Sweet thanks, I haven't been to one of those in years. Maybe I'll go see R.I.P.D.
Ha! Read and follow their rules or they'll put you out on your ass.

If you're into microbrews, check out Heavy Seas; either the brewery or alehouse

http://www.hsbeer.com/

http://heavyseasalehouse.com/

Check out an O's game and pregame at Pickles. The aquarium is very nice, albeit pricey. Fells Point is good for stumbling around.

·
Banned
19,334 Posts
On Charles Street (north of the Harbor) there's The Brewer's Art, a fantastic brewpub with great food?
2x. HIGHLY recommended. Be sure to go downstairs. I actually like eating down there better than the main room. The homemade sausage and artisanal cheese platter is fantastic! And have a couple Green Peppercorn Tripel beers. But be careful, it's a 9% beer. For something just as tasty but with less alcohol, try their Resurrection Ale @7%. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If you're considering the 15 minute drive into Ellicott City, there are a few places I'll recommend:

For beer, the Phoenix Emporium is very good - they usually have over 150 different bottled microbrews. They also make a pretty decent burger if you're hungry.

Another place on Main St is The Judges Bench - a good selection of craft beers on tap (changes often) and excellent wings, too.

The Korean place that Village Idiot mentioned is either Shin Chon or Honey Pig - neither are in historic EC, but both are fantastic if you are interested in trying real Korean BBQ.

As far as driving roads - go north and west of the Ellicott City area and there are plenty of nice country roads - nothing too scenic - but lightly traveled and nice for a drive.

If you decide to come into EC, PM me and first one's on me. :beer:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts