VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worrysome noise please help !...

Hi,
My new used Golf....Getting to be a pain...
Whenever I downshift, especially in wet conditions it seems (But it could be a coincidence), I sometimes hear a high pitch squealing noise that comes from the front driver's side....Now, that has me worried about one of two things:
1) The clutch is going, how can I test this ?
2) Tranny is going. How can I test this ? I plan on changing my tranny oil to synth like...tomorrow...
I also hear a faint squeaking when I shift gears. .. No grinding though....
BTW, 92 Golf, stock, no power anything, no air, completely stock,obviously standart

Ahhhh...the love of owning a car you do not know...I miss my old Jetta....it was old (480 000 km), but I knew exactly all the quirks...

[Modified by JF, 7:52 PM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: Worrysome noise please help !... (JF)

Possibly an old throw out bearing. My ABA conversion had all new clutch stuff in it, and I got a squeak too when shifting, but only when shifting hard in it, like the parts were dry and slipping a tad, and squeaking. I beat on it, drove it hard, and it quit

This 86 GTI squeaks too. Passengers thought the tires were chirping when grabbing gears because of it. I think it is the disk slipping still, unless anybody else knows for sure what it is!
For testing the clutch, first make sure the cable is adjusted right. Refer to a Bentley for that...basically, it requires that the tranny arm, when you grab it, has a little play in it when you lift up, then gets solid. Maybe 1/2" of lifting before it stops.
I think the test for the clutch is to start it, put it in 3rd, then slowly let the clutch out....the engine should just stall. Not slow the revs and stall, just stall.
The most common problems with the tranny would be the grind you get when going into 2nd gear from a worn synchro, or the self machining thing, where the diff comes apart, and cuts its way out of the tranny. Both are pretty easy to notice when they occur
Another problem, I think most would agree with, is they don't have 6 gears, which would be awwwesome!
Oh, the TO bearing is behind the green pressed in end plate on the drivers side of the tranny, make sure to have another plate ready, prying the old one out almost always ruins it. You'll need to remove some locking clips, a spring, remove the tranny arm and finger thing, then use a magnet to reach in and remove the TO bearing, and try to get the pushrod out too. Feel the action of the bearing, if it is gritty or makes a bunch of noise, replace it. If the pushrod ends are flattened and not round, or the rod is not straight anymore, replace it too.
Hope this helps!
Broke

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Worrysome noise please help !... (Broke)

Ok...just so I know for sure, if the TO bearing is dying, how expansive is it to replace (parts), and how much labour am I looking into (Lets say I am a newbie....
)Also, how likely is it to go bezerk on me beore I change it ?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Re: Worrysome noise please help !... (JF)

Are you sure that because of the wet conditions, combined with the extra force put out by the engine when you downshift, that one of the V belts isn't just slipping a little causing a loud squeel? check the tension of the belts. Maybe it sounds like it's coming from the driver's side, but is really the passernger side.....could be wrong, but it would be nice for you if I was right

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.