VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving in to work today when I caught a pretty deep puddle at 60+ mph. For that second that I caught it I felt my heart stop. That got me thinking about what are some of the worst feelings you can have while driving, whether its mechanical or incidental. I figured some of you guys would have some interesting ideas.

Another one I can think of is when you pass a cop shooting radar on the side of the road going more than 10 mph over the speed limit and you see him pull out. To me that feels more like getting punched in the balls.

·
Registered
19,819 Posts
needing to take a big crap I have been holding in for hours with my destination no where in sight....is the worst feeling I ever had while driving.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are some good ones so far. Having to crap while driving blows. Especially when you live in NYC and traffic sucks 99% of the time. I used to drive from NY to FLA doing transport for the snowbirds and there were a few times where I felt my eyelids get real heavy and immediately pulled over. It's a terrible feeling

·
Registered
19,913 Posts
  • Stab the brakes on a wet road (like if someone pulls out from a side street) and nothing really happening aside from ABS noise.
  • "What's that new (ominous mechanical sound)?"
  • "What's that noise.....oh, great, having a blowout."
  • In a rental Chrysler minivan - "Why did all the gauges go off and on, the wipers turn on for one cycle and the chimes start chiming while I'm going 80 MPH down the road with the cruise control on?"

·
Banned
7,931 Posts
I've fallen asleep while driving before and I agree—it's full on panic-inducing.

To add another: locking the wheels in an ABS-equipped vehicle. I was on a short 5 a.m. road trip with some friends a few winters back and will NEVER forget the horrific feeling of skating like a hockey puck on glaze ice at 60 mph in an F-150. Fog condensed and black iced the rural freeway, and if it weren't for hitting the rumble strips we'd have been f***ed.

·
Registered
1999 MKIII GOLF Mi, 2018 Sentra Nismo
3,804 Posts
needing to take a big crap I have been holding in for hours with my destination no where in sight....is the worst feeling I ever had while driving.
x2

Or that sinking feeling that the person behind you is not going to stop on time, that one is one of my worst fears, and i have come close on many occasions.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Large, fairy heavy objects in the road and **** falling of trucks in front of you.

·
Registered
446 Posts
ABS locking the wheels on ice.
Living in a college town, and a good 80% of the student population refuses to look both ways before crossing the street when traffic has a green.
Animals anywhere near the road at any time.

·
Registered
589 Posts
x2

Or that sinking feeling that the person behind you is not going to stop on time, that one is one of my worst fears, and i have come close on many occasions.
This.

Last night, I pulled left into a turning lane... Full on incoming traffic on the other lane and cars filing past on the right. I look behind me, and what do i see? A POS minivan about to turn my car's ass into a garage. Can't turn left to escape, can't go right either. I start to brace knowing the old man in the van wasn't paying attention... At the last possible second the dumbass hits his brakes and swerves around me almost going into the incoming lane.

Also, to go on with rear ending... Having a car at a full stop in front of you. Push the brakes only to find out the road is lined with ice and your car isn't slowing down.

That, or pressing the brake pedal and feeling your foot just sink to the floor as the car continues to coast at the same speed.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I had the hiccups while driving once. It got pretty bad (hard to concentrate) and I probably should have pulled over, but I was only 5-10 minutes from home.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts