VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if everyone get injuries like cuts and stuf while working on there engines or
w/e. You know when your trying to get a nut or bolt off and pulling realy hard then it comes loose and smash you nuckles. Well I dont know when there ihas been a time when I havnt cut or scrape my hand when I'm workin on my car.

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (Toffeerado)

Just the usual stuff, but going from a pasty white person to black cause of grease isn't cool. You know it's bad when you have grease up to your shoulder blades

·
Registered
743 Posts

Probably my worst happened while fixing a fuel leak on the Jetta. Thought I had it fixed, cranked the car over and noticed it was still leaking. Climbed back under and completely forgot how quickly pressure builds in the fuel line. Ended up popping the line too quickly and gasoline shot right into my eyes. Nothing longterm or anything, but damn if it didn't burn. Thought I was going to end up with my contacts permantantly attached to my eye.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts

not really an injury, but this could have been very bad. i was working on a friends g60, and while i was unbolting the bumper it turns out a subframe bolt was missing, so i was halfway under the car, and the subframe fell down halfway. thank god for that other bolt being tight in place, that could have been really bad...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (kobidge)

put a gnarly hole in my finger taking off my oil filter. and it was freexing out too so that didn't help either.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (DubinBuffalo)

Quote, originally posted by DubinBuffalo »
Just the usual stuff, but going from a pasty white person to black cause of grease isn't cool. You know it's bad when you have grease up to your shoulder blades

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif what he said, the usual stuff breaking hands and arms and fingers and all the bones....lol

but yea just the usual scratches and all that crap

·
Registered
98 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (marat_g60)

Just of curiosity.. how did you poke a hole in your finger changing the oil filter?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (K-Rod)

we had just finished installing my new tt hi flow cat and exhaust, took the C out for a good test drive to make sure everything was tight. parked it, got down and not even thinking reached out to shake the cat and make sure it was still tight....bad bad mistake, hot like a MOFO and damn near burned my fingerprints off.
shhhhhh, dont tell anyone

·
Registered
826 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (crez)

Broke a knuckle on the valve cover when a wrench slipped working on a 1st gen camaro.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (crez)

I was removing undercoating at the body shop using a SnapOn tool called a crud thug. Wicked Pnuematic thing with a long bristled brush wheel on it. It have a nice little guard on the back... well I was not thinking and had no gloves on. Didn't pay attention and finger slipped and spun around and got stuck on the guard... rather between the guard and the wheel, OUCH. WAY down to the bone, had to have a skin graph like thing done as it was nasty. Took a long ass time to heal and was super gross looking. The body shop stills laughs at me about it haha. None the less my worst mistake.

BTW, I did great till I got home and the crappy band aid I had covered with tape and cotton bonded to my bone... I got a little light headed right around then hahaha. They fixed me up, that thing above was cool, I could wack people with it!
Kyle
EDIT BEAT THAT!!

Modified by BlackieVR6 at 1:51 PM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (BlackieVR6)

I knew this woul make an interesting thread

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (BlackieVR6)

BlackieVR6 said:
I was removing undercoating at the body shop using a SnapOn tool called a crud thug. Wicked Pnuematic thing with a long bristled brush wheel on it. It have a nice little guard on the back... well I was not thinking and had no gloves on. Didn't pay attention and finger slipped and spun around and got stuck on the guard... rather between the guard and the wheel, OUCH. WAY down to the bone, had to have a skin graph like thing done as it was nasty.
That's definitely a hard one to beat without it being a death story, but here are my worst:
Nearly dropped my Chrysler on my head when the jack slipped out. I saw it falling so I hit the deck as fast and as flat as I could. There was just enough room for me so I ended up with just some scrapes on my knuckles and a bruise on my knee.
Almost broke my nose trying to get an exhaust bolt off on my Corrado. The wrench slipped and my face just happened to be too close. I brought the wrench into the bridge of my nose full force. It's one of the few times I have literally seen stars. I remember trying to make it to my front door, but was nearly blacking out.
Did the gas in the eyes thing once too. Not too much to that story, just that I pulled the fuel lines on my Rabbit's CIS-e system and just wasn't thinking. Got it in both eyes. What was most unpleasant was flushing them with water for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

Knife slipped while trimming door card speaker opening for 5.25" co-axs. Cut index finger of left hand to bone at last joint, severed all the tendons
. New blade thankfully so the cut was nice and clean. Plastic surgeon didn't believe me when I told him how it happened

It was my left hand, so having a finger that wouldn't bend at all for three months, and after physio now only bends 20 degrees, wasn't the end of the world.
Only the positive side, I now have EXCELLENT sound in my corrado

·
Registered
1,414 Posts

About 6 years ago I was finishing up on a headgasket job on the SLC. (Not that it is an excuse, but there really weren't any detailed how-tos on the 'net at the time).
Was trying to finish my final distilled water flush (g12 conversion) in time for a wedding the same afternoon. Throw water in, go out for a drive to get it up to temp, come back and drive up on ramps, jump under the car to begin removing the lower radiator hose. As I'm prying it off with a screwdriver, it starts to move by itself. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
Forgot to loosen the expansion tank cap.

Hose pops off with me under the car. Luckily I turn at the last second and it only gets the side of my face and neck. I jump up screaming and luckily my dad was in the garage to pour a few of the extra gallons of distilled water over my head.
Wound up in the ER, where they cut off the extra flaps of skin and bandaged up my neck.
Did get some demarol out of the deal....

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (kobidge)

Quote, originally posted by kobidge »
not really an injury, but this could have been very bad. i was working on a friends g60, and while i was unbolting the bumper it turns out a subframe bolt was missing, so i was halfway under the car, and the subframe fell down halfway. thank god for that other bolt being tight in place, that could have been really bad...

pretty much samething happend to me, as the bumper bolt came out the subframe dropped but i was using a 9 inch extension on my ratched and it hit the ground and held the sub frame up. almost died that day or atleast almost lost my teeth

·
Registered
787 Posts
didnt happen to me but my neighbor..... it was the end of summer and i was the only one home when my neighbor came running up to my door sceaming at me to drive her husband to the E.R. .. meanwhile.. i didnt have a permit or anything at this time and i wasnt about to chance loosing my liscnece tili was 18.. luckily jsut then, my mother pulled down the driveway becasue my brother had forgotten something on his way to the farry.. well all in all.. the guy nearly cut his arm of on a fan belt.. blood everywere..... i guess my mom didnt have much fun driving him to the E.R.

·
Forum Elder
5,627 Posts

damn SOB/POS crapsman socket lost grip and came off the facom rachet.. I took the rachet square just above the left eye.. 4 F'n stiches.. first ever mind you in over 15 years of turning wrenches..

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: Worst injuries while working on yoru car (K-Rod)

Quote, originally posted by K-Rod »
Just of curiosity.. how did you poke a hole in your finger changing the oil filter?

just pulling on the socket wrench, slipped off and whammo. ouch sucked.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts