1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
29,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
pretty sure I've heard about this last year. But I'm not surprised about it; no one is buying the good cars; people want crappy cars.

·
Registered
321 Posts
To be fair it's not like I've seen ads for the Golf in years so as much as it just goes to show that Americans think hatches are terrible unless they're lifted 3 inches and are covered in cladding, I also wonder if a lack of awareness that it exists has something to do with it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
pretty sure I've heard about this last year. But I'm not surprised about it; no one is buying the good cars; people want crappy cars.
Truth.

VW can't move Golf's yet I see no shortage of Hyundai Venue's, Chevy Trax's, Ford EcoSports and Nissan Kickseses.

Our 2015 5MT Golf is such a great "kick around town" kind of car that it's tempting to snag a 2021 6MT basic Golf for beater duty for the next 10+ years..

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Yep, the US buyer has spoken and they want lifted hatchbacks with "offroad" abilities. It makes sense since people who usually buy a Golf want a smallish, utility vehicle that gets decent mileage. That's pretty much a crossover now so that's what they're going to now.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Definitely a Dieselgate casualty, along with the wagon and really the Passat IMO. VW lost its USP for these models, while simultaneously releasing new models that make a ton of sense for our market.

·
Registered
44,639 Posts
If I hadn't known about it this would still be my shocked face.
😐

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,155 Posts
Hmm, I didn't realize you could still get one. With the new model released in Europe, I assumed they'd stopped production of the MK7. I've been considering replacing my GTI with either a MKVII GTI or a regular MKVII Golf in the next couple years, so it's good to still have the option. However, the GTI's motor is such a PITA to work on, but the regular Golf engine seems like it's going to be just as annoying but with less power, so the performance tradeoff to have a simpler car doesn't seem to be there anymore like it was with the old 2.0l units.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
I can't cry too much given that they are keeping the GTI/R around (for now at least). The wagon was sadder to me, as it was the last manual wagon sold in the U.S.

It's actually unusual to find a base Golf around, but the GTI/R are a common sight.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Oh, so you are one of the 5 people that would pay 55k for a "Golf". :p

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,618 Posts
Yep, the US buyer has spoken and they want lifted hatchbacks with "offroad" abilities. It makes sense since people who usually buy a Golf want a smallish, utility vehicle that gets decent mileage. That's pretty much a crossover now so that's what they're going to now.
Definitely the right time to introduce the Golf Country to the US market.

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
Oh, so you are one of the 5 people that would pay 55k for a "Golf". :p
sign me up for one... but in typical TCL fashion... after 3-5 years of depreciation have hit it, and it’s on the used market 🥱

·
Registered
13,541 Posts
GTI is the new Golf and I am ok with that.

·
Registered
Japanese Vacuum Cleaner
5,659 Posts
Was on the VW site the other day and was genuinely surprised to see the standard Golf was still on the menu.

Too bad utilitarian hatches are just not relevant in the US, I really love some of the trim lines other markets will get, like this R-Line TDI in Kings Red - I almost like this more than the GTI.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts