VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I like the Golf, and I agree that the Taos is the new Golf, since it has the same motor, transmission and assembly factory. If I really wanted another Golf, I'd go for the GTI. But I'm more likely to wait for a nice ID.Buzz.

·
Registered
2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
22,612 Posts
I like the Golf, and I agree that the Taos is the new Golf, since it has the same motor, transmission and assembly factory. If I really wanted another Golf, I'd go for the GTI. But I'm more likely to wait for a nice ID.Buzz.
Also will be priced similar to the Golf. I loved my GTI but I also recognize most people don't want a sporty car, they just want a car (now an SUV) that provides good practical transportation and I think Taos will be a great product to fit the need once satisfied by Golf.

I'm with you on waiting for the ID Buzz. Sadly we have to wait until the 2023 MY but that might line up nicely for us as the next family truckster which I might add will look pretty cool parked next to our split window Bus.

·
Registered
44,630 Posts
🍺

I just hope beyond hope it gets a name befitting a car. Not that it'd be the end of the world, it's just so... juvenile.

·
Registered
2018 Tiguan, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
3,754 Posts
Yeah. I just wish Canada wasn’t lumped into this garbage. The Golfs sold really well here, I see a 4Motion wagon/Alltrack on a near daily basis, I think even more than I see Jettas.

Hats off to VWoC for supposedly trying to make a strong case for daddy in Wolfsburg on keeping the Mk8 Golf in Canada but in their newly developed ****ty attitude they denied it.

I vehemently dislike the new VW, my next car will most likely be a Mazda or KIA, at the very least they’re still offering actual choice, and not some ****ty chintzy Chinese crap in the place of what VW buyers wanted.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I feel like a lot of the "well american buyers only want x" is just because most younger people are drowning in student debt and can't afford new cars. A lot of the younger engineers and designers I know have wagons of hatchbacks and love them. But they aren't buying BRAND NEW cars, they're buying stuff a few years old.

Is this because they have no money, compared to generations past? Original MSRP was ~ $8000 in 1984, adjusted for inflation thats ~$21,000... and I just went to vws website, a new base model is 24k... so.. I don't think it's that models are more expensive, I think it's that YOUNG people buy USED cars. The demographic of new car buyers is getting older and older every year, last time I checked it's well over 50.

·
Registered
MINI R60 JCW, BMW F30 B58
4,030 Posts
Canada got lumped in with the USA for this decision. The sales numbers for the USA are much lower on the Golf but the Canadian numbers are still respectable compared to the other VW models.

USA 2020 sales volume
Golf 21,927
Jetta 82,652
Tiguan 100,687

Canada 2020 sales volume
Golf 13,113
Jetta 10,552
Tiguan 14,240

Canada 2019 sales volume
Golf 19668
Jetta 17260
Tiguan 19250

It’s hard to see the brand loyalty and the remaining Golf models keeping the volumes within the VW Canada line up. Covid definitely hurt 2020 sales volume but I don’t see a lot more Canadian buyers opting for the Tiguan in Canada even though there wasn’t any 2020 Golf wagon for Canada.

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,155 Posts
Is this because they have no money, compared to generations past? Original MSRP was ~ $8000 in 1984, adjusted for inflation thats ~$21,000... and I just went to vws website, a new base model is 24k... so.. I don't think it's that models are more expensive, I think it's that YOUNG people buy USED cars. The demographic of new car buyers is getting older and older every year, last time I checked it's well over 50.
Yeah, but they're keeping only the youthful sporty models which doesn't really go along with that theory. I think the problem is more with the Golf itself. The GTI isn't really that much more, and it gives you a lot more performance. The regular Golf is slower and softer, but doesn't really offer much of it's own distinct advantage. When there was a wagon and a TDI version, those had their own advantages. The kind of person who bought a Golf in the past to just have an economical, practical car is buying a CUV now. Also, because of that I would imagine that Golf/GTI sales are a lot less in general than they were in the past. When you sell less of something, offering less options makes sense.

Also - sort of unrelated, but the Golf 8's digital dashboard is stupid, and I wouldn't want one even if they sold it here, so I guess I can't really complain too much.

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,499 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The amount of 2018 ans 2019 NEW Golfs available on cars.com let you know the dealers are the ones who pushed this. Because they are paying insurance and the note on all those unsold golfs. Which , in turn, makes the cars they do sell more expensive which , in turn, sends customers back to the competition. And the whole point of the Atlas was to be price competitive.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I feel like a lot of the "well american buyers only want x" is just because most younger people are drowning in student debt and can't afford new cars. A lot of the younger engineers and designers I know have wagons of hatchbacks and love them. But they aren't buying BRAND NEW cars, they're buying stuff a few years old.

Americans see vw as very uncool ESPECIALLY the golf. the mkv golf did well bc of 80s nostalgia (last time the golf was cool in the US) We are now in 90s nostalgia. its hipster white people who ironically drive 1996 Jeeps but could buy a brand new car- they are also such a small minority. Also nobody sees value in a hatchback that costs a world
More than a comparable civic which has brand cache that golf doesnt have.

Young people buy what is either practical or cool -we are in a 90s throw back trends. HENCE the bronco is about to light up the sales charts. The golf is beyond dead.

the new beetle in the 90s was another correctly timed throw back to the 70s nostalgia. If ANYTHING VW should double down on another beetle. The beetle has brand cache in the us.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Americans see vw as very uncool ESPECIALLY the golf. the mkv golf did well bc of 80s nostalgia (last time the golf was cool in the US) We are now in 90s nostalgia. its hipster white people who ironically drive 1996 Jeeps but could buy a brand new car- they are also such a small minority. Also nobody sees value in a hatchback that costs a world
More than a comparable civic which has brand cache that golf doesnt have.

Young people buy what is either practical or cool -we are in a 90s throw back trends. HENCE the bronco is about to light up the sales charts. The golf is beyond dead.

the new beetle in the 90s was another correctly timed throw back to the 70s nostalgia. If ANYTHING VW should double down on another beetle. The beetle has brand cache in the us.
I don't have the market research to back me up, but it feels like "off road" or light off road is in right now.

An off road styled beetle would be something totally interesting at the very least. The GTI and Golf R are obviously cool cars, but something about VW and the current lineup really doesn't do it for me. It just feels like they're kinda "there" and really aren't separating themselves from the herd, actually it feels like they are falling behind.

Once again thats just my own perception, might not be the actual case.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
Yeah. I just wish Canada wasn’t lumped into this garbage. The Golfs sold really well here, I see a 4Motion wagon/Alltrack on a near daily basis, I think even more than I see Jettas.

Hats off to VWoC for supposedly trying to make a strong case for daddy in Wolfsburg on keeping the Mk8 Golf in Canada but in their newly developed ****ty attitude they denied it.

I vehemently dislike the new VW, my next car will most likely be a Mazda or KIA, at the very least they’re still offering actual choice, and not some ****ty chintzy Chinese crap in the place of what VW buyers wanted.
whole-heartidly agree with this

·
Registered
10,836 Posts
I don't have the market research to back me up, but it feels like "off road" or light off road is in right now.

An off road styled beetle would be something totally interesting at the very least.
The had one in the last generation of Beetle’s know as the “Dune” edition...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It's funny to me how most of the time, it's people whining on here about how VW won't offer certain models with enough power, or the right transmission. In this case, they are absolutely not discontinuing the Golf model in North America, but instead have chose to only keep the high-powered models with 6MT and DSG, yet people are complaining again.

They can't keep things in North America that are both low volume and cheap. Not gonna happen.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts