VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 97 mk3 and was wondering if it was worth converting to 5 speed or keep automatic tranny. the transmission is out so i have to replace it, is there any trouble with the electronics when converting.....please help

· Registered
1,304 Posts
message cyclopath, he did an auto to manual swap for his son not too long ago.
I doubt there's any problem with electronics, but Im guessing you have to drill a new hole in the firewall for the clutch pedal. That part probably wouldn't be too fun, but I can guarantee you, it makes the 2 liter so much more drivable.

· Registered
4,954 Posts
Re: (Bert_23)

Definately worth it. But I would highly recommended obtaining a donor car. You'll need everything from the stamped steel plate between the engine and tranny, to the axles. Hole is mostly cut in the firewall. Just need to punch it out. Electrically, you disconnect the tranny computer and jump a few wires on the 6 wire plug on the auto tranny. When my son comes home for the sunner, I will figure out the reverse light. Got it figured out on paper. But you know how that goes.

· Registered
91' MK2 GTI, Caged, Plus Suspension, Incompleted VR6 Conversion.
976 Posts
do it slush boxes are the suck!!

· Registered
4,954 Posts
Re: worth converting auto tranny to 5 speed (Slow Jet)

Holy Crap! Saved a ton of coins. Donor cost me 300 bucks. Originally bought it for the airbags, seat belts, and front end. Been picking it clean and it's just about an empty shell now. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,954 Posts
Re: worth converting auto tranny to 5 speed (Slow Jet)

Quote, originally posted by Slow Jet »
WOW. Nice deal. Guess thats the way to go. i gotta start looking for a car then.

And selling off the rest of the donor car, part by part, you can practically recoup the cost of the donor. Tranny swap for free. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.