VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 2.5L Jetta with 174k miles on it. The good thing is that it's never had any issuse besides a sensor thats already been replaced. I was wondering if it would be worth to mod this high mileage car.

Current mods:
-18x8 wheels/tires
- rear/mid muffler delete

Mods i want:
  • coilovers
  • window tint
  • LED tail/head lights
  • IE stage 1 tune

All the mods im wanting to do are gonna cost worst case $3000. The only thing im "cheaping out" on are the Raceland coilovers, i've heard good and bad things about these coilovers and for my buget they seem like the best option and seem to be better than others in its price range. I just wanna know if you guys think this is a waste for a high mileage car.I also would like your suggestions on diffrent upgrades or not adding an upgrade.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a 2012 2.5L Jetta with 174k miles on it. The good thing is that it's never had any issuse besides a sensor thats already been replaced. I was wondering if it would be worth to mod this high mileage car.

Current mods:
-18x8 wheels/tires
- rear/mid muffler delete

Mods i want:
  • coilovers
  • window tint
  • LED tail/head lights
  • IE stage 1 tune

All the mods im wanting to do are gonna cost worst case $3000. The only thing im "cheaping out" on are the Raceland coilovers, i've heard good and bad things about these coilovers and for my buget they seem like the best option and seem to be better than others in its price range. I just wanna know if you guys think this is a waste for a high mileage car.I also would like your suggestions on diffrent upgrades or not adding an upgrade.
It depends on who put the miles on the car. If the previous owner was good to it, it will last at least another 100K miles and probably much more. If it was mistreated, the answer would be, "No!".

I have a 2008 VW Rabbit 2.5 with over 154K miles on it and it runs like new. No oil consumption, no oveheating, no leaks and always does what I want. All I've done is regular maintenance with premium European spec fluids, replaced seals and sensors when they reach the end of the expected life span, deleted the vacuum pump and replaced the alternator. I love my Rabbit! It isn't modded, but it has no problems other than a couple electrical gremlins that came with it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Let the man be. Some people spend $10k on their $20 or $30k car. If OP gets pleasure out of the mods for another 100k miles what's the harm in it?
I agree! This is how memories are made. If I had followed that silly rule, I would have missed out on some of my best car memories from my youth. You have to think outside the box.
One of the cars I owned was a run-down MG that immediately broke after I bought it. I spent far more on repairs than the car cost. I drove it for years, kept records of what I did and sold it for more than everything I spent on it. Today, I would gladly pay more than that just to have it back. That car was the beginning of my learning how to work on cars and take chances on super-long road trips to places I had never been.
Never piss on someone's cornflakes when you aren't happy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
OP asked "Worth or not" so my comment was in that context. He asked whether it was "a waste." And he asked for suggestions.

I recently spent $6k to buy a "runs and drives" 2007 Audi S8. V10, 450 hp, full leather, blah blah. Needs maybe $1k of parts and whatnots.

We all value things differently, but the value of a 2.5 Jetta is not gonna change with $3k of mods.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Fair enough, Mr. Timbert; but the context of 'worth or not' isn't always a monetary consideration, not to mention I think the gist of what the OP was asking was would it be worth it to put a fair chunk of money in a car with higher miles. I think on a generally reliable platform like the 2.5 cars, and if the particular car hasn't cost a ton of money in the past, you can make a case for it. I also don't think OP is trying to boost the value of the car with the mods, I could be wrong, but I think he understands these mods aren't going to turn the car into something much more valuable than it is.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Although adding a lot of money into an older car with high miles may not increase the monetary value of the car, it can add tremendous value to the car's usefulness. When I retired and bought a newer car to replace my old one, I gave it to my daughter with the condition that she could never sell it or trade it for another car because she could never get the true value from it. She could never buy another one for the cash value of it that was in good a shape as this one. This car ran for another 200K miles with minimal problems and minimal cost. Unfortunately, she wrecked it and it was not salvageable. Now she is doing the same thing with another old car that she bought for herself and she plans on running it forever. Fortunately, she can see past the "bling" of new cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts