VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I own mk6 1.8 ‘TSI I’m wondering is it worth putting the money into to performance upgrades or should I just buy a r32 or golf r ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Depends on what you want. I had a nice 17 Passat and it was just a tad slow. So I pulled the snow filter out of the airbox (I live in Florida) and added a BMS JB1 piggy back tuning box and on 93 octane it was a much more fun to play with car.

Side note my JB1 is for sale and works on your car. It's in the Passat classified section.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey it absolutely is worth upgrading the performance. I just put the APR stage 1 tune in my Gen 3 1.8 Jetta and it is a night and day difference over stock. So many more things you can do after that. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey it absolutely is worth upgrading the performance. I just put the APR stage 1 tune in my Gen 3 1.8 Jetta and it is a night and day difference over stock. So many more things you can do after that. Good luck!
What is the difference in mileage before and after tune?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Apr stage 1 here. Soon to reflash back to stage 2 once I obtain a down pipe.
Definitely worth tuning. Especially now with the CT’s turbo swap for our engines finally having been released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
The 2.0 and 1.8 do not have the same turbo.
The 1.8 has a is20 while the 2.0 has a is38.

If I’m not mistaken that is. Those designations may be wrong. But it isn’t the same turbo. The 2.0 just is a bolt on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah I was wrong, they look EXACTLY the same tho, I’m pretty sure the one just has a bigger turbine In there

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 2.0 and 1.8 do not have the same turbo.
The 1.8 has a is20 while the 2.0 has a is38.

If I’m not mistaken that is. Those designations may be wrong. But it isn’t the same turbo. The 2.0 just is a bolt on.

Hi Adam, Pretty sure we don't even get the is20 according to this post.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/9jigiw 1.8 - is12 <OOF
2.0 - is20
Golf R - is38

I cannot personally confirm.

As for the thread, JB4 is the way to go if you just want it a little spicier in the short term since you can remove it and resell, got mine used @ $250, worth every penny.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys , I own mk6 1.8 ‘TSI I’m wondering is it worth putting the money into to performance upgrades or should I just buy a r32 or golf r ?
I have a JB4 with Bluetooth for Sale currently if you are still in the market. Used for about 6 months. Yes this engine is definitely worth tuning. Tons of fun to drive when tuned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts