VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm just looking to be talked out of this lunacy:screwy: , but here is my situation. I have a perfectly good 2004 SVT focus w/EAP and only 31k miles. I love everything about the car except the lack of power. I am interested in a 2005 Audi TT 3.2 w/DSG that I might be able to get for a steal.
Now those two cars are pretty far apart in class, except for one unknown to me. How well does the TT handle? I've never driven one and I probably won't get a chance to drive one the way I want to before I purchase. The SVT is the most planted and entertaining car I have ever driven. I think that it's lack of power actually makes it fun to drive because you have to really work with it. Will the TT feel as balanced and tossable or will it feel like a wet noodle compared to the brilliant SVT?
I'm only marginally interested in other reasons to do or not to do this deal. I have a 2.5 mile commute and I can carpool w/ my wife. In other words I can survive if the Audi doesn't prove as dependable as the focus. I'm really just interest to know if this car will be fun on the back roads and the occasional autocross. What say you TCL? http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Added pic for click
[/url]

Modified by focalxplosion at 11:02 AM 7-16-2009

Modified by focalxplosion at 11:03 AM 7-16-2009

· Registered
11,798 Posts
Re: Would a TT 3.2 be a downgrade from an SVT focus? (focalxplosion)

As far as handling, the TT isn't as sharp as the SVT. Its not terrible but it isn't as good. Drive it and decide if you like it. They sound nice, but not that great on gas IIRC. And you will have to decide if you can live with DSG. Many people end up not liking it after living with it for a while.

· Registered
12,540 Posts

TT is AWD. With decent struts/shocks will handle well.
3.2 has plenty of grunt down low, but will disappoint you
in the upper end if you're used to a turbo's punch.
--Chuck--

· Registered
24,124 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Shomegrown »
Ask Zerin.

2005 = MK1
Zerin has an MK2
...unless I'm totally lost and confused about what you were saying.

· Registered
15,241 Posts

I would see that as a definite upgrade. Though, I would say that the handling would be less "crisp" than the Focus, but I would think the brilliant engine would make up for that.
They're very different cars- the Focus is very... well, focused on it's mission of providing the ultimate in fwd handling. Damn the ride comfort, give me huge grip and predictable dynamics!!
The TT, however appeals to a more luxury-oriented market. You know, hair dressers.
So it has to be comfortable and cosseting while still being capable of delivering a sporting drive.
The Focus is "Sports". The TT is "Sporty". But at least the 3.2 would be at the top of the TT line and most sporting of them all. Give it a shot. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
And this is coming from a Focus SVT loyalist.

· Registered
11,798 Posts
Re: Would a TT 3.2 be a downgrade from an SVT focus? (juventuss)

Quote, originally posted by juventuss »

I would hope that it handled better than a Focus SVT. Not bad cars.

They don't. They are heavier, softer sprung, and not as well balanced as the SVT.
That's not to say they don't drive nice though. Both are great cars.

· Registered
18,601 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Shomegrown)

Quote, originally posted by Shomegrown »

No, I think you're right. I wouldn't have guessed that MK1's went on for that long.

The first model year for the Mk2 here was 2008. I'm waiting for them to get cheap so I can get a 3.2Q 6-speed.

· Registered
Lifted Prius, Panel gaps
13,373 Posts
Re: Would a TT 3.2 be a downgrade from an SVT focus? (speedbump2)

Quote, originally posted by speedbump2 »
TT is AWD. With decent struts/shocks will handle well.
3.2 has plenty of grunt down low, but will disappoint you
in the upper end if you're used to a turbo's punch.
--Chuck--

Turbo punch? No turbo on an SVT Focus.
I disagree with the handling statement. AWD does not make a good handling car, especially when it comes to a TT.
I'd think the TT would be a tradeoff. Sure, the interior is nicer appearing, but the seating position sucks and the storage space is limited. The 3.2 Sounds amazing though.

· Registered
6,118 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Jetty!)

One is a "sporty" car, and the other is a "sporty-tourer", imho. They will be different, and the TT will be a downgrade in pure-sportiness. However you will be benefited with a still very good handling car, higher aesthetic accoutrements, etc. Plus the possible benefit of AWD, if that appeals to you.
Just my $.02

· Registered
100 Posts
Having driven both I'd consider it to be a major downgrade. While the TT is more powerful, better made, appointed, and equipped, more stylish and has more snob appeal, it's exponentially less fun. Driving the TT just felt like driving an uncomfortable car, and as such I just kind of sat there feeling nothing as I went along. The Focus, on the other hand, felt like driving a massively entertaining uncomfortable car, and it put a huge smile on my face. Your number one priority when choosing a car should be "does this car make me happy" and nothing else. The TT didn't make me happy, but the Focus sure did.

· Registered
663 Posts
I sold my '07 GTI DSG to buy a 2002 TT ALMS edition (1.8T 225 hp quattro) because of the DSG transmission. IMO, the DSG just isn't as engaging for the driver and while it is cool in operation, it gets boring rather quickly. Plus, from what I understand, the DSG in the MK1 TT is an early version that doesn't change gears nearly as quickly as in the MK5 GTI which would be even less desirable to me.
As far as a TTs handling, I had replaced most suspension components in mine (added koni shocks/struts, neuspeed springs and sway bars, camber correction) and it was a very sharp and neutral handling car when I was done. Even more so than the STI that I have now. Stock a TT will heavily understeer but mine did not . The 3.2L VR6 is a very cool motor that sounds incredible, but I'd recommend a 1.8T 225 if you must have a MK1 TT simply because of the strong 02M 6 spd transmission.
I may get flamed for this, but you may also consider that a 1.8T TT with an ECU flash will make in the 260hp/260tq +/- (at the crank of course) which is a substantial upgrade.
The short answer to me would be, if staying stock, go with the SVT, if modding, the TT is a fun platform to play with.

Modified by G_RockNYTN at 11:14 AM 7-16-2009

· Registered
100 Posts
Re: (G_RockNYTN)

Quote, originally posted by G_RockNYTN »

As far as a TTs handling, I had replaced most suspension components in mine (added koni shocks/struts, neuspeed springs and sway bars, camber correction) and it was a very sharp handling car when I was done.

And the SVT Focus is a sharp handling car right out of the box.

· Registered
663 Posts
Re: (FangioIsMyHomeboy)

Quote, originally posted by FangioIsMyHomeboy »

And the SVT Focus is a sharp handling car right out of the box.

Agreed. I actually enjoyed my TT for the 18 months I had it but not so much for the performance aspects but for the whole package of everything mentioned previously (looks, luxury, and sporty nature).

· Registered
535 Posts
I would say the only upgrade the TT has is in power and brand image.
The SVT I would agree with you is a little underpowered, but it's still a fun car to drive, and TONS more useful. And from the description of what your looking for, the SVT is WAY more fun in the Autox than a TT.

Modified by redsvt04 at 11:19 AM 7-16-2009

· Registered
8,779 Posts
If it were me, I would keep the Focus. A bit more under-the-radar, rare car with EAP, will most likely be cheaper to maintain, better gas mileage, more tossable (Yes, I've driven both at length), lighter etc.
Granted, the quality of materials and luxury feel are in another league compared to the Ford, but I think the Focus just makes more sense, unless you're absolutely bored with it or it were crapping out on you, which with such low mileage I doubt.
Also, in owning some high-dollar vehicles I've come to appreciate the less-costly cars like the SVT that still have character and put a smile on my face, yet I'm not paranoid about parking dings, dirt, potholes, etc. When I owned my Lotus Elise and some others it became more of a bother to live with it on a regular basis than I wanted, so having something that's fun AND doesn't stress you out is a big plus in my opinion.
Then again I'm OCD, so you may not feel like you have to 'baby' the Audi more just because it's worth more.

Modified by TMH at 11:24 AM 7-16-2009

· Registered
320 Posts
Re: (G_RockNYTN)

I would say it depends what you want to enjoy more. The focus would be better if you want to focus on autocross. I think the TT would be more enjoyable for general driving. However, you are asking a tricky question that really boils down to personal opinion + what you are going to use the car for. You should go drive a 3.2 TT to see how you like it.
Ask yourself questions like:
1. Can you get by with the limited cargo room of the TT.?
2. Do you like the interior compared to the focus?
3. Do you like how one looks more than the other?
4. Which do you like driving more?

Modified by Bmorlok at 11:25 AM 7-16-2009

· Registered
100 Posts
Re: (redsvt04)

Quote, originally posted by redsvt04 »
The SVT I would agree with you is a little underpowered, but it's still a fun car to drive

And the fact that it is underpowered contributes to making it more fun. People who buy powerful cars because they think they like to drive are idiots. A car is at it's most fun when it is just powerful enough to not be frustrating to drive. This is because you can't just drive the car, you have to drive it HARD. It'll turn your commute into a form of motorsport.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.