VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the article in the newest issue about turbo'ing a Matrix. They moved the MAF sensor to the intercooler piping so that there wouldn't be a problem with using a BOV. Would this work on our cars?
Also they used a very cool triple gauge pod from http://www.carbontrix.com , it looks cool and is priced to buy http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
Re: Would this work? Info from Sport Compact Car, MAF related (16vracer)

with knowing how fragile our MAF's are, and how much oil people find in their intercoolers.... i think HOT, BOOSTED, OILY air might equal the last few minutes of life for a VW MAF.

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Would this work? Info from Sport Compact Car, MAF related (John A)

quote:[HR][/HR]with knowing how fragile our MAF's are, and how much oil people find in their intercoolers.... i think HOT, BOOSTED, OILY air might equal the last few minutes of life for a VW MAF.[HR][/HR]​
Good point. Never crossed my mind.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

A) (hot part) hopefully air won't be quite so hot since it's already intercooled
B) (oily) Most of the oil collects on the bottom of the IC - some will make it up but still - worth a try...

·
Banned
13,061 Posts

Nasty hot air aside, VW MAFs are designed to measure ambient uncompressed air. Put the MAF downstream of the compressor and the engine will run very lean (if same software is used).
A different ECU program and much more robust MAF (one designed to last at least 70K miles w/o failure due to oil contamination-a dream I know) would be needed.

·
Registered
13,721 Posts
Re: Would this work? Info from Sport Compact Car, MAF related (Electron Man)

You guys are trying to hard jsut to run a BOV, all it doe sis go psssht, my Bailey worked perfectly and I saw spikes up to 22psi with GIAC V10, it never stuck. Stop worrying so much what your car sounds like and start realizing you're car is gonna run like poo and not be as fast by doing these things
Mike

·
Registered
208 Posts
Re: Would this work? Info from Sport Compact Car, MAF related (VWMike81)

I just pulled the MAF and cleaned it on my wife's Explorer yesterday. I can tell you this much ... the MAF should be the second thing in the intake stream ... second only to the filter! It detects air mass by how the incoming air cools the heated eliment. The cooling of the heated eliment will change the current being sent to the eliment. This difference in eliment voltage is used by the ECU to determine fuel injector pulse width.
For example, let's say that the eliment is heated to 200 degrees F and draws a current of 1.500v. Upon drawing in air, the eliment is cooled to 120 degrees which returns a voltage of 1.025v (numbers off the top of my head). This difference is used to determine the mass of the air and used to trim the fuel. Now, imagine if the air passing through the MAF is hotter ... it will not cool the eliment as much and as a result, the fuel pulse width will be shorter.
My advice ... leave well enough alone and forget about the PSSHHHT!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts

That car is using TEC2 and also the stock ECU in tandom to control the idle and cam switchover points. Read the article again and you will see that. The MAF is only there to assist with the VVTLi and no tuning is done with it anymore, its all speed density now. The one has nothing to do with the other in relation to ours cars. Just run a DV and be done with it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif If you cant understand that article you shouldnt be tryign to apply it to your car which is totally different. Not a flame just trying to make you see whats going on and help you in the future before you get way involved in something you dont understand yet.

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Would this work? Info from Sport Compact Car, MAF related (bmxvr6)

quote:[HR][/HR]That car is using TEC2 and also the stock ECU in tandom to control the idle and cam switchover points. Read the article again and you will see that. The MAF is only there to assist with the VVTLi and no tuning is done with it anymore, its all speed density now. The one has nothing to do with the other in relation to ours cars. Just run a DV and be done with it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif If you cant understand that article you shouldnt be tryign to apply it to your car which is totally different. Not a flame just trying to make you see whats going on and help you in the future before you get way involved in something you dont understand yet. [HR][/HR]​
Whoa, chill man. I did read the article and know about TEC2 and that it's still using the factory ECU. I just posted this to see what everyone thought, not like I'm running home tonight and hacking up my wiring harness and IC pipe to relocate MAF.
I see that no one mentioned that sweet gauge pod though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts