VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was rolling up to dubs on defrost I got a tire check warning on my dash. My car has less than 1k miles so I was quite surprise when I got a tire check warning. When I got to the show I checked every wheel and tired but couldn't see any problems. I drove it back and still didn't have any problems.
The day before the show I was detailing the car and noticed some rust on my brakes, so naturally grabbed some wd-40 and giving it a quick spray. Well it took off all of the rust stains but would this have caused a check tire light? I'm still driving the car with the light on and don't feel anything.:thumbup:

Does the check tire light include brakes or is there a separate warning for that? Asking you guys first but my 90 day service is coming up so they'll fix it, but wondering what might have caused this and is there anything more info I can find out through the car's menu, like which wheel and what's wrong?
Sad too see anything wrong with my baby :( even if it's probably nothing.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
What year is your car? 2010's were having issues with the TPMS setting being set too high therefore no matter what if you kept your tires at the tire manufacturers recommended PSI, it wouldn't be high enough to satisfy what the ECU had listed as the set PSI. You'd have to change this using VAGCOM or going to your dealer.

·
Registered
53,434 Posts
......noticed some rust on my brakes, so naturally grabbed some wd-40 and giving it a quick spray....
WD40 on the brakes? :confused: If your system is ABS based, you may have so little braking "grab" on one wheel to set off the system.

BTW, they make products to clean brakes that do not have lubricants in them.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
What year is your car? 2010's were having issues with the TPMS setting being set too high therefore no matter what if you kept your tires at the tire manufacturers recommended PSI, it wouldn't be high enough to satisfy what the ECU had listed as the set PSI. You'd have to change this using VAGCOM or going to your dealer.
Less than 1k on the clock. Probably a 2012.

Wait.
You sprayed WD-40 on your brake rotors?
Yeah, this place is full of some real winners, lately...

OP: No, that wouldn't cause it. If you've got a 2011 / 12, check your tires for nails, inflate them, and reset it with the button in the glovebox.

·
Registered
261 Posts
That rust, is oxidation on the rotors just drive around and it will go away

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
And if driving off oxidization on rotors is that big of a nuisance to you, spray them with chlorinated brake cleaner, not a facking lubricant... considering that whole concept of friction that comes into play in making your brake system, oh I don't know, actually work...

:banghead:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Flammable lubricant on a brake rotor... That sounds like a swell idea.:popcorn:
That must be how 'dem dur NASCAR cars make thurr rotors glo flame red at Martinsville!

:laugh:

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
did you actually check the tire pressure or just look at them and go "welp, there's tires on them wheels there"

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I don't know why VW left the brake rotors bare metal so that it can look rusty all the time, what a stupid design :banghead: :mad:

·
Registered
53,434 Posts
I don't know why VW left the brake rotors bare metal so that it can look rusty all the time, what a stupid design :banghead: :mad:
A will assume you are joking as a person would need to be really a moron to think the steel rotors could be anything other than bare metal.

You suggest they do what? What other make with steel rotors does this?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.