VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Re: Would you buy this theft recovery car? (Volkscience)

i think i would ... but the seat and front bumper cover are $$$ i bet.. wait the steering colum is missing too.. hell no

[Modified by VwG60Kid, 3:05 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Re: Would you buy this theft recovery car? (TabulaRasa)

Who the hell stole that car? I always see these theft recovery cars, and they steal so little! One seats, steering wheel, steering column, radio, bumper, grille rings, and I think the wheels too...those look like the stock A4 wheels. I would've at least taken the passenger side seat, the headlights, taillights, and some other stuff. <shrug> maybe they wrecked their A8 and only took the parts they needed...I would think higher of people who have enopugh money for a A8 though. Sorry, just random thoughts.

Its only $12,500, but keep in mind you can find a nice 97 A8 for around $22,000. The wheels will probably cost you around $1000, steering column/wheel $1000, bumper $1000, seat $500, radio a couple hundred, and who knows what else is missing on that car. You add up the prices, and the advantage gets smaller and smaller. Check them out on autotrader. I would link to them, but the links are way too long and it would piss some people off...I saw one for $22,900, and one for $23,900. There's quite a few out there like that. I would just shell out more just for piece of mind.
[Modified by AndrewT, 4:02 PM 11-26-2001]

[Modified by AndrewT, 4:03 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Re: Would you buy this theft recovery car? (AndrewT)

I'd be curious to see if anyone has some prices on parts. I would be more inclined to think that a streering wheel and column for an A8 would be several thousand dollars and a seat perhaps $2500-$3500.
Unless you found a wrecked A8 for parts, that car would probably cost 10-15K to get back on the road.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Re: Would you buy this theft recovery car? (2lowA4)

they stole the bumper , but not the headlights???
They stole the radiator, but not the climate control???
Those are some of the most expensive parts. But getting all the parts that were stolen is gonna cost you just as much as it would to buy all new parts.... Unless you found one at a junkyard.

G

·
Re: Would you buy this theft recovery car? (AndrewT)

quote:[HR][/HR]Its only $12,500, but keep in mind you can find a nice 97 A8 for around $22,000. The wheels will probably cost you around $1000, steering column/wheel $1000, bumper $1000, seat $500, radio a couple hundred, and who knows what else is missing on that car. [HR][/HR]​
$500 for a airbag-equipped power leather seat? $1,000 for a steering column & wheel & airbag? Dude, where are you shopping for parts--my insurance company wants to know.
More realistically, the seat will probably run $4-5K, as will the column, wheel and airbag. The backseat will probably go for another $3K. The stereo could go for anywhere between $900 to several grand. And that doesn't include some of the other little things--for example, it looks like the power window switches are missing from the driver's side door, and that should be another $500 there, at least.
The thing is, besides airbags, few people actually replace, say, a backseat, so those parts are typically incredibly expensive. Remember--the insurance company decided to total and pay out the full amount on this $32K car, meaning that they estimate it'll cost at least $24K+ (more than 75% of the vehicle's value) to fix.
Luxury cars--especially A8's--are very expensive in the parts department. I wouldn't buy this car, period. Three years from now, you'll have trouble dumping it when the title shows "salvage" (versus accident).
If you do go ahead and buy it, make sure you get a list of every part missing from the car, then find out how much it'll cost to replace. I'm sure a local Audi dealer would be happy to help you calculate the total cost.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
Re: Would you buy this theft recovery car? (AshlandSi)

i think it'd be kinda cool to buy, gut completely , build up for racing and have fun throwing around a huuuuge family sedan http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

but to rebuild as a daily..there are better /cheaper buys out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.