VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a house next year so i'm thinking about ditching my CC car payment and getting into a cheap daily driver that I can pay cash for. I've always liked mk3's but have never owned one. I have an opportunity to buy a mk3 Jetta Vr6 with just under 200k miles. Mechanically, it seems to have been pretty well taken care of but does need a few things. Should I worry about a Vr with this many miles?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Edit: I should learn to wake up before posting. My bad

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I bought one that needs quite a bit of work for a daily with 180k miles. As long as the major maintenance is done it can be fine. I did do quite a bit of the smaller maintenance after purchasing.

Make sure the chains are done and there is no leaking coolant or oil. A properly maintained vr can last well over 200k miles. Find out as much as you can about the maintenance thats been done and what it needs. Also, dont trust the seller unless you know them.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
200k miles isn't really that much. a rebuild wouldn't hurt in any way, but as long as the car has been taken care of, it should last for ya :)

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Milage is irrelevant - Service history is. Id rather have a car with half a million miles with a solid service history then a car with 50K that's barely had 2 oil changes. In my line of work I see all kinds - I have customers approaching the 2 century mark and the cars look and drive brand new and cars that are coming in for their first timing belt that look like they've been through the zombie apocalypse

So to answer your question - yes - provided a decent service history. Well maintained VR's dont break. You can count on replacing a thermostat housing and coolant distribution pipe at some point and chains are the worry that people would lead you to believe.. this week I cracked open a 180K mile VR for a Schrick cam install and the nylon guides looked brand new and there was zero additional chain slack when reinstalling the upper chains.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Milage is irrelevant - Service history is.

So to answer your question - yes - provided a decent service history.
My thoughts exactly 200k is not something I worry about on a car that's been cared for. My car (2.0) is going to touch 215k this week, and I wouldn't hesitate in the least bit to take it from coast to coast and back without a single problem along the way.

Kei

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.