VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my 85 golf gti has a factory sunroof....oh yea you know the one the one with the hand crank CLASSIC! anyway my roof leaks a little cause of the rubber seals and doesnt look very good on the metal on the outside. also my crank is broken and all effed up....to make a long story shor it looks and works like S**T! So i went to my local yard and found a 91 jetta witht the same sunroof while i was their looking for a dooor and i got the whole assembly seals crank and all for $50! i thought it was a deal considering its $80 for the seal brand new.
i was wondering if anyone had any links or have replaced their sunroofs ?
thanks pics of the build up soon!

·
Registered
22,511 Posts
Re: WOW another junk yard part FIND! (bloew2004)

CLAP.
CLAP.
CLAP.
J/K, I know the feeling of finding needed stuff for your cars at the JY.
A great feeling.

·
Registered
583 Posts
there was a DIY on replacing the sunroof panel somewhere here, couldnt find it.
but its fairly easy.
best thing to do is to go back out to said junkyard and take off the sunroof from the junker car.
and by the by, once you have everything taken apart and what not, you may wanna clean out the rain gutters located front and rear of roof. when those bab boys get clogged they cause the leaky sunroof symptom.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Re: WOW another junk yard part FIND! (khemiicalz)

Quote, originally posted by khemiicalz »
there should be a thread on every regional forum for donors in which jy,

(old guy from pet cemetery voice)
I wouldn't go looking for that there yonda, what you put in there...dont come out the same.

aka That stuff is kept wicked quiet and i dont blame anyone because a nice find is not something to be shared unless you dont need it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I replaced the entire sunroof fixture
for like $18 at my local jy, the seal on the
other mk2 was even better than mine

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I found a decent ebrake boot and a mint GTI badge for $4 apiece. of course the ebrake boot's popped full of holes now due to being all weathered from the JY (and it smells kinda funny) but FOUR BUCKS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts