VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Re: Wow, just wow. (All_Texan)

That's insane. I wonder how that sort of thing happens? I mean, it wouldn't make sense for a dealer to just "hold" a car like that. I would imagine that they would do anything to move it by the end of 1997.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Re: Wow, just wow. (sirtophamhat)

Strange

·
Registered
16,611 Posts

Nice dealer mark-up. No doubt it would be nice to own but I wonder how much of the rubber you would need to replace after sitting for so long.
In Manassas, Va where I used to live the Buick dealer had a Grand National with about 50 miles on it. Last I saw it they were asking $50k.

·
Banned
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I would imagine some some 'never driven' Camaro SS's and TA WS6's are sitting somewhere.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

WOW i've never seen so many detailed pics of a car for sale http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif nice car

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
Re: Wow, just wow. (Ajlepisto)

I don't get something...wouldn't there be components in there that would just go bad from lack of use? Fluids, seals, etc...?
And no warranty whatsoever?

·
Banned
4,566 Posts
Re: Wow, just wow. (Big M)

Quote, originally posted by Big M »
I don't get something...wouldn't there be components in there that would just go bad from lack of use? Fluids, seals, etc...?
And no warranty whatsoever?

That's what I'd be worried about. I've heard of people starting cars like this that have been sitting around forever and having oil pour from all the dried out and cracked seals.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: Wow, just wow. (PackRat)

A person who'd pony up for a car like this will gladly replace anything and everything to make it roadworthy again.
These buyers aren't interested in the basics like price and warranty.

·
Registered
27,589 Posts

well considerign its at a dealer maybe they changed the oil ever year or somethgin and checked for stuff liek that but then again it si a dealer

·
Registered
1,658 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PackRat »

That's what I'd be worried about. I've heard of people starting cars like this that have been sitting around forever and having oil pour from all the dried out and cracked seals.

Yeah, I'd rather just have a mint one with less than 20k that an old guy owned and rarely drove. I'd feel guilty about putting miles on a car that is 8 years old and only 48 miles.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,203 Posts

Back in college (1992) a friend of mine bought a "new" Mistu Starion Turbo ('86 I think). Beautiful car, and he drove the hell out of it. It was the dealer's personal toy and had accumulated less than 4k miles when he sold it as a "demo" or something. Anyway, my buddy was running down the hwy when a rotting seal gave way in the turbo I believe. All kinds of damage to the engine. And given the relative rarity of the car at the time and the expense to repair it, he limped it down to the border and just the left the keys in the ignition and walked away.
Then he called his insurance company and reported it stolen. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
When the dealer who sold it to him learned that it had been "stolen" he was PISSED. He thought he was selling the car to someone who would take good care of it. I think he smelled a rat.
Not a good story, I know.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Re: Wow, just wow. (blkaudicq)

We have a Nissan factory donated 300ZXTT at school that I get to work on every once in a while. It has less than 3000 miles on it. Most of our cars have far less than that. One of the Nissan reps used to borrow it for a weekend every once in a while.
My teacher had to watch as he sent a Corvette with 500 miles through a car crusher.
All of the cars are distroyed after we have no use or room for them.
Pete

·
Registered
60 Posts
Re: (All_Texan)

now wouldn't the original warranty still be in effect since the car has never been titled? My mom bought a brand new 2 year old 240SX and it had under 50 miles and Nissan gave her what ever the warranty at that time was. I guess this may be an extreme case though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts