VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So to start off, this was my first coilover install and also the first set of coils that have been on my gti.

The installations on these coils were very easy and I was able to do it with a socket set and a jack with jack stands. Ran into small problems with rusted original bolts but overall very easy installation.

The ride quality on these coils are surprisingly really good, for a budget coilover these things have a really good ride even being all the way down in the front and back. When i have friends ride in my car they cant even notice a difference from stock ride quality to being lowered. When these coilovers are all the way up they are almost the same exact thing as stock height and are really easy to adjust them.

Some people are witnessing noise coming from the strut mount but i have the 034 density strut mounts and they make them completely silent. Mine make no noise at all when turning or even going over terrible potholes in the roads.

Overall the WRD advantage coilovers are a very good coilover for the price at what they are and if you don't have a pair i suggest picking them up.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
:thumbup:Great review, I was wondering about the easy of install and ride comfort. How long did it take you to install being your first install?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbup:Great review, I was wondering about the easy of install and ride comfort. How long did it take you to install being your first install?
It took me about 6 hours to completely install everything which isn't to bad for a first time install and no power tools. Ride comfort is basically the same as sock, it fells like you are in more control and it is a little stiffer when going over bumps but being all the way down its not to bad. I drove my car 3 hours to waterfest just recently and I have no complaints it was quite comfortable.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It took me about 6 hours to completely install everything which isn't to bad for a first time install and no power tools. Ride comfort is basically the same as sock, it fells like you are in more control and it is a little stiffer when going over bumps but being all the way down its not to bad. I drove my car 3 hours to waterfest just recently and I have no complaints it was quite comfortable.
If your still monitoring... You really only used standard hand tools and jack stands for this? I'm thinking about them, but want to be sure I can install them. No special tools needed?

·
Registered
07 GTI 13 Beetle turbo
1,850 Posts
thread is a little old but I just installed these last week as well. Some special tools are a big help when doing coilovers, I would highly recommend getting a strut spreader bit and the upper strut nut socket.. both can be found here http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/GTI%20MKV/Suspension/188/1

search for any coilover diy and most have the other tools needed. You'll want a 21/22mm socket as the oem will be smaller than the one that goes on top of the strut. Most of the others needed are 13mm, 17mm and 18mm if memory serves me correctly. Depending on your model/year etc there's a pretty big bolt/hex bolt holding the axle on; you need to pull the spindle free of the axle hub to get the suspension out in the front. A pretty important note is that certain parts should be tightened at curb weight position aka without the components hanging on jack stands. I had a pretty bad clunk from my end links which I remedied by simply tightening the bolts that go to the sway bar and the ones that go to the front strut while the car was on the ground; I simply turned the wheels all the way to one side to access the 18mm bolts that come with the WRD kit.

If you have anymore questions feel free to DM me, I posted on the technical/suspension forum as well so there's a thread with some info someone else provided. It's not the most difficult job in the world but it does take quite time.

end result:

I have half the threads left to go lower but I'm happy here :beer:

·
Registered
07 GTI 13 Beetle turbo
1,850 Posts
looks like most threads for the diy don't have pictures hosted anymore... I'd try youtube

not too bad, fyi you don't need to remove the wiper arms to get to all the bolts, I used a 3/8" ratchet with a flex head on it to get the 3 13mm bolts out of the strut tower

·
Registered
962 Posts
I was looking at some WRDs, since I can't afford BC coils and it is good to hear that their ride quality is not awful. Thank you sir! :beer::beer:

·
Registered
07 GTI 13 Beetle turbo
1,850 Posts
I'm only halfway down, or so, on the collar threads and the ride is mostly oem save for big bumps. I can't imagine anything better at the current sale price

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was looking at some WRDs, since I can't afford BC coils and it is good to hear that their ride quality is not awful. Thank you sir! :beer::beer:
Just got mine installed. Totally agree with the other reviews. It's tight, but not tooth shattering by any means!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts