VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats up everyone,

I purchased these during the Summer sale and FINALLY had a chance to put them in with my buddy, and here is my overall review.

Personal Suspension Ride Experience H&R Race springs /Bilstein shocks and struts (MK3 GTI VR6), Oettinger Coilovers (B6 A4), Bilstein Coilovers (B5 S4)

Customer Service - CarNut84gti was a great help sorting things out for me and getting me what I needed. Shipping was great and fast. Thanks!

Items purchased I purchased the WRD Coilovers AND the 034 Strut Mounts (did not purchase new bearings though, as my car was purchased in Feb).

Wheel/Tire specs - 18x8 ET46 215/40 (zero rubbing and no fender screw mod)

Installation - It took us more than it should due to the fact that my buddy only works on Japanese cars, and it has been YEARS since I installed suspension on my MK3 GTI VR6. But lots of patients and trial and error moved us along. My suggestions is to follow the MKV installs on the forum, pretty much identical. We didn't remove the axle bolts and using a strut spreader was a HUGE help. Also, do either fronts or rears at the same time. We found that would have made things much easier (You all probably know this stuff already, but we didn't haha)

Ride Quality - About 150+ miles on them so far. Set to 2 threads from bottom all around. The ride is stiffer for sure and much better handling (PS - my GF was not complaining in the car, so its not too stiff.) I have only been able to cruise at about 60 so far in town, I will update when I hit my commute to class. I have not had any of that *squeaking* so far that have been an issue with all coils on the MK6 apparently. Must mean the mounts work! Back end needs to settle still. The front is fitted, but the rears have 1 finger gap still. Doing alignment in a few days as well.

Ride Quality Comparison - To me they give me the feel my old MK3 GTI (H&R Race Springs w/ Bilstein shocks/struts) did, it has a stiff enough feel to it that makes it aggressive and increases handling a lot. But nothing that would make me hate driving at all. As for the other coils I have experienced, my Oettingers were softer and handled similar(could have been mileage on them). And the Bilstein coilovers just take the cake on everything for me, but super expensive obviously.

Overall
FANTASTIC! I cannot complain about them in any way yet, especially for the price. If you are on a tighter budget like a college student (like me hah), this is a great option. Just make sure you get those 034 Mounts to avoid that squeaking.

I will update if any of the above changes.

Here are some pics

·
Registered
528 Posts
OP, have you had a chance to ride on an ST coilover (from a friend or something)? Id like to see review between the two. These WRD are priced pretty good which makes it so much more attractive :D

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Helper springs in or out? Rear needs more low

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OP, have you had a chance to ride on an ST coilover (from a friend or something)? Id like to see review between the two. These WRD are priced pretty good which makes it so much more attractive :D
Havent had a chance to experience the STs yet sorry.

Helper springs in or out? Rear needs more low
Helper springs in.

I set them all to equal threads during installation. Let them settle a bit and will be going in and even things out soon. Most likely lower the rears all the way down.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
ST's are going to be a bit stiffer than our WRD coils. Quality should be similar though I haven't had a chance to really tear into a set of ST's to do a detailed inspection. We do also carry ST if you decide to go that route :beer:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have them also their good,ride nice n for the price well it was hard to say no haha :D my gf loves them she said best investment for our budget.
Had them for about 5k now daily driver.:thumbup:

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
I have them also their good,ride nice n for the price well it was hard to say no haha :D my gf loves them she said best investment for our budget.
Looks good :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

What setting are your rears on? I put mine all the way down and it's not as low as yours. Do you have a lot of stuff in your truck? Lol also what are your wheel/tire specs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
What setting are your rears on? I put mine all the way down and it's not as low as yours. Do you have a lot of stuff in your truck? Lol also what are your wheel/tire specs.

Thanks!
Well in my trunk I got my sweater n work cloths mod drops it about little to nun:p
But on the real I'm also a college student but opting out for right now n well my front still has like 5 spindals left n the back I removed the rear perches and I'm just on springs in the back I took out the rubber stoppers even tho it does a little bit of a drop I'm ocd if it aunt even I'm not happy. But yea just springs in the back all wrd still. I know it makes it a bit more bouncy in the back but hay I'd rather have a nice car evenly then having it a little stiffer with that annoying mini gap it has. If you want pictures I'll take them to show you just pm me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So how do these ride in the front? do you feel confident in the corners? Any bounce that throws the front end up and gets light?

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts