VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*one month update added below images*
Doing a little review on the New WRD Coilover System. Hopefully some of you were smart enough to snag these at waterfest from APTuning @ a great price :thumbup: Otherwise WRD has a great price running on these, act fast cause who knows how long it'll last.

I Bought mine a couple weeks back and had them installed Sunday. I was previously on Gen 1 Ksports which finally gave way thanks to some blown out rear struts. Ksports rode like dog $hit even with the fronts set to soft there just was no give and every bump, dip, pothole or man hole cover felt like the end of the world. Needless to say I was more than elated when my WRDs showed up.

I want to say installation was a breeze but unfortunately this was not the case. Issue wasn't with the product, I'm thinking it may have been because the strut base on the Ksports were smaller in diameter than the WRDs, but getting the front shock body to seat was exceptionally hard. My spreader tool simply wouldn't spread the knuckle far enough apart. I was able to combat this by putting the wheels on both sides and going for a ride until I heard each side seat. Then came back and installed the pinch bolts. ***DO NOT SHAVE DOWN THAT TAB MAKE SURE YOUR COILS SEAT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE KNUCKLE***

Other than that, the installation was straight forward.

+Package arrived well packed as expected and better yet efficiently packed in a smaller box.
+Build quality was spot on and as expected everything looked great; the finish is very clean looking in the wells
+Low: I've had to raise my rears twice now, I had 7 threads in the rear and I was tucking almost a half inch of tire!! these go low. Fronts get you just low enough to tuck tire (I've got roughly 5-10 threads up front) Rears are now at 14 and I'm sitting pretty.
+Ride is better than I was expecting. Of course, everyone who buys budget coils realizes that they aren't getting KW V3, H&R, Koni style performance but I will say the ride exceeded my expectations. I haven't been on OEM suspension in so long that I can't remember what it feels like. But seriously, feels soo much better than my Ksports; I have no noise coming from my suspension at all (which has me so #ucking smitten :D) Ksports had twanging, clunking and god only knows what other sounds it made
+While this most likely applies only to my car, my rear suspension set up now feels vs before feel so much tighter. (before my rear ksports blew out)

At the end of the day, the 200+ miles I've put on them have me convinced that for day n day out driving, these coils are more than adequate.

CarNut84GTi is a good guy; huge help while I was deciding what coils I was going to go with :thumbup::wave:

:beer::beer:

Photos will have to wait till the am when I can get some clear shots of my current stance

Fronts have since been lowered & rears have been raised Below is 7 threads rear, ?? Front

Again that is all I have for now, my phone battery was dead during the install and I was so beat up after the install (98 degrees while I installed) that last thing I wanted to do was look at the sweaty palm marks all over my fenders and quarter panels. :laugh:

**1 month+ update**
It’s been just over a month since I’ve posted my review on my wrd coils so I figured Id provide an update. Coils have settled, still haven’t gotten in there to lower the fronts and raise the rears to where I’d like them but that’s because I’m a lazy POS.
The ride is spot on, not too harsh and not too jarring. Gives you that great stiff flat feeling when cornering and soaks up bumps in bends just fine.
Overall I am satisfied with what I received for the money spent. I think they’re priced just right around that $500 mark and what you receive is a good entry level coilover system. My next set of coils will have dampening control as I’d like to stiffen them up a bit but the dampening settings they come with are spot on for daily driving.
Well done WRD :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:wave:
As the car sits now; cell phones shots aren't the best but give you an idea of how well you can dial these in. Fronts still need to come down a bit more to set it off :thumbup:

·
Registered
225 Posts
:thumbup:nice wheels you got there. what are those?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:thumbup:nice wheels you got there. what are those?
Wheels are Ronal R38's; they are a pretty hard to find wheel in 18x8 and it's hard to see but they've also got a polished "lip" (even though it's not really a lip). I'll have better shots up this weekend.
Nice review,How do you like your Federal 595ss tires?
I'm actually a big fan of the Federals; tread life is great, they're sticky and affordable, this will be my second set I'm on. Only real complaint I"ve ever heard on them is road noise but between the sound of my exhaust and the fact that I have the windows down all the time I've never noticed it. :thumbup:

Going to hit her with a wash and clay this weekend so I'll have some better shots up :beer:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I brought my set from Waterfest. :peace: Thanks for the honest review. :thumbup:

Did you change your strut mounts? If so did you use the standard OEM mounts or 034 high density mounts?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I brought my set from Waterfest. :peace: Thanks for the honest review. :thumbup:

Did you change your strut mounts? If so did you use the standard OEM mounts or 034 high density mounts?
Ended up using some OEM's I had in the garage...not even sure what they came off of but They don't make any noise. I have hear of a lot of people going with that high density mount to remedy some binding made at the contact point between the coil and strut mount but I've not noticed any new noises. Occasional Clunk from the sub frame or axle but I've been lowered long enough to expect that from time to time. :laugh:

Ksports had camber plates on them so had no need for mounts.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s been just over a month since I’ve posted my review on my wrd coils so I figured Id provide an update. Coils have settled, still haven’t gotten in there to lower the fronts and raise the rears to where I’d like them but that’s because I’m a lazy POS.
The ride is spot on, not too harsh and not too jarring. Gives you that great stiff flat feeling when cornering and soaks up bumps in bends just fine.
Overall I am satisfied with what I received for the money spent. I think they’re priced just right around that $500 mark and what you receive is a good entry level coilover system. My next set of coils will have dampening control as I’d like to stiffen them up a bit but the dampening settings they come with are spot on for daily driving.
Well done WRD :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let my co worker take my car out on lunch break and he comes back and says "Handles like a Porsche!" lol :laugh: I responded, "you obviously have never driven a Porsche" :laugh: which quickly escalated to a lesson on front engine FWD vs rear engine rear wheel drive vs mid engine awd/rwd :p

Old people are funny

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
H2Oi is fast approaching, get your orders in today so that you're sitting pretty in time for the show :laugh:

And I did actually get around to clay, waxing doing a full detail on the ol girl :thumbup:

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
H2Oi is fast approaching, get your orders in today so that you're sitting pretty in time for the show :laugh:

And I did actually get around to clay, waxing doing a full detail on the ol girl :thumbup:
Looks good :thumbup: :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts