VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost the customer service from WRD was incredible, CarNut84GTi was awesome to deal with, and answered all of my questions in a more than reasonable time frame.

I installed my WRD coilovers last Sunday with the help of another forum member, actually he did most of the work.

Install was straight forward, I will say the first thing I noticed is how well the product was manufactured. The quality/detail of everything for being a "budget" set of coilovers was way more than I expected, and would probably hold up to some of the higher end coils on the market.

After riding on them for more than a week I am more than satisfied with my purchase. I have had my share of suspension modifications on everything from Mustangs to low rider trucks, and I wanted a smooth ride, and an improvement in handling which these coilovers offered. I currently have 18 threads left in the front, and 10 in the rear, I may choose to go lower later on, but for now I am happy with the height.

I would recommend these to anyone in the market for a set of coilovers, and WRD was a pleasure to deal with as well.

Sent from my Macintosh touch screen device, definitely not during business hours.

·
Registered
122 Posts
+1 for WRD & CarNut84GTi, bought my Koni's off them a few months ago and he was quick to answer all my questions as well.

Your cars looking good man, glad your enjoying the coils. Is it just me/the camera angles or is the left side of your car lower than the right? Mines like that too a little bit but I don't really mind, kinda forgot about it until now lol.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car is sitting at 25" from the center bottom if the fender to the ground, the passenger front is a hair lower. Not enough for me to want to adjust.

The second photo was taken day after install, and I think I was at 10 threads up front, and 7 or 8 in the rear.

I should also mention I did the 034 Track Density strut mounts as well.

Sent from my Macintosh touch screen device, definitely not during business hours.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have a 13 GLI AB as well, I was thinking of getting these as well. As if today, are you still have with them?

·
Registered
247 Posts
About to pull the trigger on these, was wanting to know how these have held up with the Coastal Climate.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
I have the wrd coils as well. Are there different springs I can install on those coils? Smaller and stiffer springs?
We do have firmer springs for the rear, however they aren't shorter. Overall though, I'm guessing your looking to go lower and firm it up to prevent rubbing? My concern there would be that the dampers would not be able to properly control a higher spring rate, and the ride quality and performance would suffer for it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
We do have firmer springs for the rear, however they aren't shorter. Overall though, I'm guessing your looking to go lower and firm it up to prevent rubbing? My concern there would be that the dampers would not be able to properly control a higher spring rate, and the ride quality and performance would suffer for it.
Okay gotcha. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Hey CarNut84GTi, what are the spring rates for these?
For the standard kit:
Front: 625lb Linear
Rear: Progressive Rate spring, 297lb at the point that the spring is with the weight of the car on it.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
For the standard kit:
Front: 625lb Linear
Rear: Progressive Rate spring, 297lb at the point that the spring is with the weight of the car on it.
Thanks! That seems like quite a spread, especially since the rear springs have a .65 motion ration or so.

·
Registered
31,315 Posts
Thanks! That seems like quite a spread, especially since the rear springs have a .65 motion ration or so.
Keep in mind that the rears are a progressive rate spring, so as the suspension compresses, the rate increases. Plus the majority of the weight of the car is over the front.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Keep in mind that the rears are a progressive rate spring, so as the suspension compresses, the rate increases. Plus the majority of the weight of the car is over the front.
Yeah, of course. The difference just caught my attention.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts