VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just f-ed up my car pretty bad. I went around a sharp turn when it was wet and I lost control and SLAMMED into a curb. The stock steelie was bent really bad and I kinda messed up the lip too. When I try to drive it theres a huge rubbing every rotation of that wheel, even after I put on the spare. But heres what worries me: after I got it into a side street and all, I saw the coolant light go on, so I shut it off and looked under the hood. The coolant container was like overflowing when I first looked at it, I could see coolant leaking out the top of the clear overflow thing w/ the blue cap. Then before I knew it all of the coolant had leaked out from somewhere under the car. What could have caused that coolant thing? Did I hit a hose or could I have busted the radiator? Like I said before the car was running, I backed off the curb, drove into a driveway, turned it off, changed the tire, drove out of the driveway, and parked in the street. Now its just sitting there, awaiting the tow truck(it happened at 11:00 so no shops are open). Any response would be great

btw- I got pictures of the car right after it, with steam pouring out of the engine from the coolant.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Re: wrecked the jetta (tagteam)

Without seeing it, its hard to say. I assume it was the right front that hit? It is possible the impact damaged the radiator or knocked something loose. You should be able to see from where the coolant is leaking.
As for the rubbing, you will probably need a new wheel bearing and possibly a control arm. That's too bad.
Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: wrecked the jetta (PineappleMonkey)

After closer examination I can see that a belt is off and the cog (or whatever you call the thing the belt goes around) is bent. Does that explain the coolant running out? Its at the front passenger side. I'm about to call someone to tow it.

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]After closer examination I can see that a belt is off and the cog (or whatever you call the thing the belt goes around) is bent. Does that explain the coolant running out? Its at the front passenger side. I'm about to call someone to tow it.[HR][/HR]​
Perhaps something jarred the water pump? If the pulley is bent, it had to have gotten hit hard... If so, the you must have slammed into that curb big time. I hit a curb with my old car at about 25 mph and it bent a rim and the tie rod. No other damage though.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Re: wrecked the jetta (PineappleMonkey)

Hopefully everything works out for ya.
quote:[HR][/HR]Sucks to hear that man, good luck with everything
[HR][/HR]​
Hopefully these
weren't the problem with controll. Im sure it wasn't so now you may as well have a few of these
to take the ol mind off of it till it hits a shop

[Modified by gin8122, 3:06 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The guy at the dealer says I probably messed up the water pump which caused the coolant to boil over. He said since I didnt drive it much afterwards theres probably no engine damage. I was able to hit the pump because I just got the h&r cup kit put on my car a week ago :/. I was going 25-30 when I hit. There is definitly no body damage, besides the stock chin spoiler. That gives me a reason to get a euro one

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: wrecked the jetta (JettaGLS)

BTW the pulley is definitly bent. There is something that was covering it but I think it got detached when I hit the curb. The pulley has a bend in it and scratches so I'm sure thats where all the impact was.
How much was your repair JettaGLS?

[Modified by tagteam, 9:55 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]BTW the pulley is definitly bent. There is something that was covering it but I think it got detached when I hit the curb. The pulley has a bend in it and scratches so I'm sure thats where all the impact was.
How much was your repair JettaGLS?[HR][/HR]​
Well my old car wasn't a VW and I didn't have the tie rod replaced (they said it was sound still so I kept it in), so it's probably not the best gauge for repair costs. The rim was about $25 and the inspection/re-alignment along with remounting the tire was like $75. The car had this funky 'whurrring' sound after that too...
But for your car? Water pump/timing belt replacements usually go for a few hundred dollars on their own. Plus the cost of a new steel rim (~$30 junkyard).
As far as the rubbing is concerned, like the others said, you could need a new wheel bearing (cost me ~$225 for that plus a new CV boot installed), strut (replace both fronts ~$250-350 for OEM installed?), control arm ($?), tie rod ($?), ball joint ($?).
Hopefully it won't be all of the above though. From what I've seen around here, similar accidents have cost around $600-700 to repair not including the cooling system damage.
If you have a hook up somewhere, that would be sweet...
Hope it goes well, and it's just a messed up alignment or something man... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: wrecked the jetta (JettaGLS)

600-700? damn thats steep. My insurance has 500$ deductable so thats the worst I would have to spend. I was hoping it wouldn't go over 500$ though (Dont want to tell them about it). The dealership is gonna give me a estimate tomorrow so hopefully its not that bad. All I know is that when I drove it the wheel rubbed on something every rotation and was really hard to turn in one direction. The damage on the pulley looked like it could be fixed by bending it back into place with home tools but I dont know anything about that. I was wrong about all the coolant draining, it looks like theres a little left in the bottom of the overflow container.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

I hit a curb at about 25mph in my car (non-VW). Bent the control arm, spindle, and strut housing, plus an absolutely destroyed steel wheel (was surprised it still held air). I bought used parts for $110, wheel for $35, labor to put on the suspension stuff was 4 hours, plus $10 to have the tire put on the new wheel and $60 for an alignment. Total cost was around $450, but the car drives perfectly straight with no signs of previous damage. I have liability-only insurance, so fix it cheap was my best option. You may be better off paying the $500 and get everything done at once unless you have a reliable source for used parts.
Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: wrecked the jetta (towerymt)

Unfortunatly its alot more than I expected :/ The guy at the dealer said I need 700$ in engine parts just to see if it will work, "because there is no reason to do 2000$ in suspension work if the engine is no good". I guess I will have to tell insurance about this one after all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.